When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

One of the most beautiful places on earth

redwatch

Hi Guys,

Thought I would share a few pics of one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. My dad is from New Zealand, so he and my mom retired there several years ago. They spend 6 months in NZ and another 6 months in Canada during the summer. Please keep in mind, these photos were taken several years ago and well before my love of watches blossomed, so unfortunately there aren't any wrist shots. However, the pictures turned out really well and I thought I would share them with you all:

The landscape of the two islands is remarkable. The north island contains a large portion of NZ's small population. I spent my trip in the south island which is quite larger than the north island, but has about 1/4 the population. It is a vast, very untouched, beautiful place!

NZ01.jpg

NZ02.jpg

For the waterfall lovers out there, there are plenty!

NZ06.jpg

NZ03.jpg

NZ04.jpg

NZ05.jpg

Of course, you couldn't see NZ without running into a few sheep!

NZ11.jpg

And see a sheep shearing

NZ08.jpg

Or try a little bungee jump

NZ09.jpg

Here's a little more scenery for you

NZ07.jpg

NZ12.jpg

NZ13.jpg

And then of course, there are the beaches! This particular beach, called Tunnel Beach, was made by a farmer who had land on the coast. He was quite high up on a cliff and his daughters wanted to be able to go down to the beach below. He spent many, many years carving out a tunnel staircase to get down to the beach. This is the result.

NZ18.jpg

NZ17.jpg

NZ15.jpg

NZ16.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to check this out!

Redwatch:

My wife and I spent half of March'08 on South Island, I agree, was just as spectacular scenery as I had imagined it would be! One thing I was surprised at is they raised venison the same as cattle, literally fenced pastures with huge deer herds, albeit the fences were much taller than what you would use for cattle. Thanks for sharing the pics, I've got my own but yours will do. Will add one I had posted last year. This is tandem paraglide ride from the top of mountain over Queenstown. Found out that my pilot had spent eight years on Maui so he jabbered in my ear all the way down about Hawaii! We did the Shotover riverboats but I passed on bungee.

TandemParaglider.jpg

The paraglide in Queenstown is pretty awesome! I loved the Shotover Jet Boat ride though. For those of you who haven't seen this, you need to check out this youtube video

The boat can ride on a min of 3" of water! And the drivers are insane!

The boat can ride on a min of 3" of water! And the drivers are insane!

You bet! We sat third row back and still wound up dizzy as hell. Also the "Lord of The Rings" shooting locations horseback ride was pretty enjoyable too. We stayed at the Sofitel in Queenstown with the now famous men's urinals!

Men's restroom in Sofitel, Queenstown NZ

oh that's nasty! :yuk:

My parents live about an hour outside of Queenstown in Alexandra. A nice little community of about 5000 folks. Great pubs and the most amazing deep fried blue cod and chips I have ever had! And of course, pints and pints and pints of Speights Beer!

Oh yeah, and a fun NZ tradition. A good rugby match!

NZ19.jpg

Redwatch:

You are extremely fortunate to have immediate family to go visit in NZ, especially parents. Didn't drive since they seem to have Formula 1 type speedy bus drivers, so missed Alexandra. What a polar difference from Los Angeles, all the better to appreciate it more. I also liked Christchurch, really very "English". Punting on the Avon, our Brits would be bored as its probably too much like home, except its the jumping off point for Antarctica. Did you ever get down to Fiordland Park...(some of your first pictures looks like from there) Te Anau, Doubtful and Milford Sounds?

Omni,

Yes, the photos of the bay were from Te'Anau and Milford Sound. Didn't make it to Doubtful on this last run.

Still haven't made it up to Christchurch. Most of my family live in Dunedin so spent quite a bit of time down there as well. Also hit up Invercargill where my sister used to live and then went to Fiordland as well.

It is quite awesome having family there as it definitely helps curb the costs when visiting. Being in LA I am very fortunate to have my family in Canada and NZ. Lots of beautiful places to stay and visit!

TB - as for the population, NZ government has very very strict immigration laws. It took my mom 2 years to get her papers and they were a real pain in the a$$. And they are married! Very weird!

Another great spot is Mt Cook, although it's tough to see it as the weather is really odd there!

IMGP2033.jpg

IMGP2035.jpg

IMGP2039.jpg

And another shot from one of the southern most points on the island

IMGP1830.jpg

And this is just cool. There were some very old Maori paintings here on this rock, and I just happened to be taking a picture of some of the fossils in the rock and caught a nice shot of what looks like a hawk.

IMGP2079.jpg

A favorite uncle of mine visited NZ last year. When asked how he liked it he said that if he did not have grandchildren, here in the states, he would move there in a heartbeat.

Looking forward to visiting wine country there ASAP.

Thank you for the great photos and inspiration.

TB - as for the population, NZ government has very very strict immigration laws. It took my mom 2 years to get her papers and they were a real pain in the a$$. And they are married! Very weird!

Agreed, lot of young Americans working the resorts, but only allowed 1-year work permits, then its bye-bye. Aussies the same, only country that I've visited so far that required us Americans to have Visas to visit. (I try to stay away from war-zones) :lol:

We also managed to snag a beautiful clear day for a helicopter tour of the Sounds which we also toured on the regular boat excursions. Just friggin' awesome!

The NZ Pinots, we finished a few bottles while there, they were good. I think it is a personal matter of what you are expecting out of wine though. I was raised around the Napa Valley in California so I'm more attuned to the wine process there, although the best California Pinots are located further south from NP. Two different processes, two different growing regions will produce two different animals. The Europhiles are even more pronounced difference in tastes. They are all good.

• 1 month later...

You seem to have a nice vacation happening in your apartment though! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Those pics you posted recently are fantastic!

Seriously though, you need to take a vacation somewhere sometime soon! It does wonders and really helps to clear the head.

Thank you. Yes, the at-home vacation clears the pipes, but not the head. ;)

I just switched jobs and fly to Toronto for 2 weeks on the 14th, so maybe that will do a little something...

• 8 months later...

Just beware the spiders, otherwise yeah NZ Rocks! :good:

Spider bites man on penis

A spider nestles in a pair of trunks discarded on the beach and bites their owner on the penis, triggering heart failure.

http://www.smh.com.a...00514-v2hb.html

The 22-year-old Canadian fell asleep in the sand dunes after swimming nude at a beach in New Zealand's far north.

He woke to find his penis swollen and painful, with a bite mark on the shaft, news agency NZPA reported.