When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Rolex MOD 5517

tmg

Finally back from the dead is my MilSub 5517 -just back from a Canadian spa. wink.gif Thank you again to The Zigmeister!!! The 5517 is one of my favorite Rolex's, I've always had a "thing" for military divers -in particular this grail watch.

In its previous short life the watch had a 2846 ETA movement with a troublesome stem/tube alignment, this created too much tension on the right side of the dial/movement, the dial was starting to chip/flake at the 3 o'clock and had to be dissambled. I debated for some time whether to scrap this project altogether or bite the bullet and put a gen movement inside -well I chose the latter and here are the results.

The details of this project are:

• Gen Rolex 1520 heartbeat
  • Phong Vietnamese case
  • Yukiwatch bezel assembly
  • CWP bezel insert
  • CWP vintage lume hands set
  • Aged lume dot from someone on Ebay -can't recall now...
  • NDT dial
  • Clarks Tropic 19 crystal
  • Gen crown and after-market tube

DSC_1532.jpg

DSC_1580.jpg

DSC_1579.jpg

DSC_1578.jpg

DSC_1538.jpg

DSC_1581.jpg

DSC_1540.jpg

• Like 1

Splendid result! What else can be said.

Congrats to both of you.

I see a problem here though... :whistling:

Each time I think I'm done with projects you come with a new gem :wounded1:

Stephane, I think you win in the gem department. :D

Thank you again to everyone for the kind words! I also added a few more pix.

Awesome :thumbsupsmileyanim: and I'm with Stephane on this, your projects provide a lot of inspiration!

Great looking Nato strap too - nicely faded black, or is it a dark grey?

Hi Prof,

It's an MOD grey G10 strap. So tell me more about those Speedsters in your avatar? :wub:

-TMG

WOW!!!

That's awesome!!

One of the best frankens i've seen of this model yet.

Very very nice job!!

Wear it well..

best regards

Ed

Thank you Ed! I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

Hi Prof,

It's an MOD grey G10 strap. So tell me more about those Speedsters in your avatar? :wub:

-TMG

Sadly, neither are mine, snapped these two at the Le Mans Classic last year................but one day a 356B Super90 may end up in my garage ;) Although I'd love a Carerra engined C, I don't think my funds would stretch that far, prices seemed to have sky-rocketed in the last few years!

Oh no!

You should do a group shot one of these days... ;)

Yes, one of these days I need to get off my lazy butt and take a few of the group.

Sadly, neither are mine, snapped these two at the Le Mans Classic last year................but one day a 356B Super90 may end up in my garage ;) Although I'd love a Carerra engined C, I don't think my funds would stretch that far, prices seemed to have sky-rocketed in the last few years!

Nice avatar just the same, but I hear ya Prof -the only Speedster in my budget is a replica! :D

WOW tmg! That is outstanding! Another fine acquisition from J&W on the case! It's excellent. Did it need much modding?

Now you just need to change your banner and add that beauty in with your 1655, your Monte Carlo and your FF

Thank you Redwatch!

The 1520 movement did not drop right in for a supposed 1:1 case and had to be modded to fit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...