When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with AP Purchase

usctrojans11

Just enlisting your guy's help to see whether I am making a good purchase or about to be ripped off. Guy offered to meet at Audemars dealer to get it authenticated - however, he is from New York and knows I am in LA so he may have made that offer knowing I would not be able to call him up on it. Anyways what are the telling signs of if it is a fake when I get the watch so I can immediately stop payment on a check. What should I check to truly know it is authentic - I've been to AD's with reps and they've called them authentic before.

Royal Oak Offshore 18k Solid Rose Gold Watch

AP1.bmp

AP2.bmp

AP3.bmp

AP4.bmp

AP5.bmp

AP6.bmp

AP7.bmp

AP8.bmp

AP9.bmp

ap10.bmp

ap11.bmp

ap12.bmp

1) look for crown and pushers not lining up.

2) look at date window position

3) look at hands (center part that attaches to post...gen hands' centers are not as wide as rep.)

4) check the lume

of course there is an expensive 1:1 copy out there that is very hard to distinguish since gen parts are used. open it up and check the movement.

that would be a sweet purchase. good luck.

thats a genuine watch. it is a stunner, ultimately I sold mine due to its weight

some thoughts: it should have the 2226 movement. when you wind the crown, it should feel buttery smooth and near silent, with almost no resistance.

the case looks like its been refinished more than once.

if you decide to get a new rubber bezel, you have to get the one with rose gold on the inside ( as opposed to stainless steel which is much cheaper) and it costs like $2500

also the watch being an early F serial, its ~5 years old and there is no AR coating over the date bubble (they changed this around F 50xxx) and it will due for a service soon if it hasnt been done already.

Look at the position of the crown (on AP4.bmp), which identifies the watch on your pictures as a gen. As bosk said, on the rep, the crown is higher and not in line with the chrono pushers.

The other way around, the rep is in line with the pushers, the Gen is a little lower!

Look at the datewindow, has a space between the cyclops and the inner bezel.

This is gen all the way!

Thanks alot for the help guys. I will list the full details of the transaction as well as high quality pictures to show you guys when I get the watch - it is being shipped out tomorrow. It is priced rather reasonably and I feel like I can trust the seller. Thanks again and update coming soon - hopefully watch gets in Saturday or Monday.

I really hope for your sake you researched the seller properly and he was backed by some serious feedback on whatever site you got it from - I personally would have never risked it. Photos are no guarantee. I would advise a trip to the AP AD (no one else) as soon as it arrives.

Good luck and show us some photos (non .bmp format pls ;)) !

Edited by exper

• 2 weeks later...

I got scammed - long story and when I get over it I will fully document it. For $1000 I got a shitty AP Royal Oak Offshore with rubber and stainless steel with quartz movement. Lesson learned. Anyone have any legal advice? I have his real name and bank account numbers and possibly address.

$1000!!! :whistling:

How could you ever... ever think you would get a genuine AP (any model) for $1000, let alone a rose gold ROO chrono??? :shock::bounce::Jumpy::blink:

You should have let us know more about the deal befpore you decided to throw away your money... I'm sure if anyone read that you're paying a grande for that watch, thinking it's gen, you'd get screwed.

Sorry to sasy, but as far as I can see... serves you right for not thinking that too good to be true is a pretty damn good concept :animal_rooster:

Hmmm....the question was indeed posted to the OP asking about the price and he only mentioned "reasonable"....like most others I assumed it to be a couple o thousand less than the going price today. A gen ROO in RG for $1K.....gimme 100 of those :p

OP....if you made the payment via a bank cheque.....it's a going to be a long drawn out affair trying to get your money back. All the best.

It was a craigslist deal. The guy posted in LA so I responded to find out he was in NY (or I somehow responded to an NY post). Offered to meet at Audemars Dealer for 15k - being a college student I asked for 1k and he accepted. He said he wanted to give it to a person who would worship it since it was his late grandfather. I tried to protect myself with paypal and credit card and paid him through that. He refunded it which showed me good faith since he could have ran with the money. Talked to him on the phone and he sounded genuine - told me about his grandfather and even teared up. I sent the money via Bank of America account transfer and he told me he would ship the package. Last I heard from him. Called B of A to tell them money was not supposed to be transfered - they credited it back and froze the [censored]'s account. A-hole shows the emails and tracking number (I live in an apartment and some one signed for it). B of A denies my claim and takes the money back. [censored] is not responding to emails and phone number is disconnected. I have his real name and bank account numbers though. Wondering what my next step should be. Yes I am an idiot and trust people too much. It is a lesson learned but I was so infatuated with the thought of being able to own a genuine AP. I am a college student so this is a huge hit to my wallet.

Wow, there's a sucker born every minute ! Don't they require a minimum IQ aka min test results to get into college these days ? It might sound harsh but c'mon !! Really ?!?!

Okay now that you have been bent over and truly done over If you haven't already done so, contact the police ! Go to your local station and fill in a report, if they don't take it seriously contact the local cyber crime unit. I can't believe you also signed a contract as well ! thats just stupidity. Depending on who you deal with it can go one of two ways, either they will take it seriously and hopefully this guy has done it to others in which case you should get some sort of response or they will just say its a civil matter and you will be on your own to deal with it.

Print a copy of the original thread and all correspondance and take it with you when you go to the police, I hope for your sake that it says somewhere on there that the watch is genuine and not just "Its my grandfathers AP"

Edited by exper

You should have done a lot more research before jumping into this deal.

And like what "swdivad" wrote, you should have let us know more about the deal before you pull the trigger. I would have asked you to get the seller to take a few more shots with the hour/minute hands at a few different positions so as to prove that he has the watch.

"Mspeed" already said, a new rubber bezel by itself costs around $2500, your alarm bells should be all ringing when seller is willing to sell a WHOLE watch to you at $1,000.

Consider yourself lucky that you only got scammed of US$1000 and not more.

Edited by apollo22

Wow, there's a sucker born every minute ! Don't they require a minimum IQ aka min test results to get into college these days ? It might sound harsh but c'mon !! Really ?!?!

Okay now that you have been bent over and truly done over If you haven't already done so, contact the police ! Go to your local station and fill in a report, if they don't take it seriously contact the local cyber crime unit. I can't believe you also signed a contract as well ! thats just stupidity. Depending on who you deal with it can go one of two ways, either they will take it seriously and hopefully this guy has done it to others in which case you should get some sort of response or they will just say its a civil matter and you will be on your own to deal with it.

Print a copy of the original thread and all correspondance and take it with you when you go to the police, I hope for your sake that it says somewhere on there that the watch is genuine and not just "Its my grandfathers AP"

I am actually on a full ride merit scholarship at one of the top universities in the nation and was admitted as a junior in high school and actively recruited by top schools. Yea I guess you can say I have no street smarts but I explored every option including talking to this guy from multiple email addresses and he said it was sold after he committed to selling it to me. It said it was genuine and verified by AP. Yea its hard to feel sorry for me but I genuinely believed he was legit when we talked on the phone.