When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO. How to install a Tube and Crown

arniezac

Following some picking of Pugwash's brain with regards to his recent changeover to genuine parts, he suggested that I post some pics when I tackled my own watch.

Disclaimer: I am not a watchmaker or serious modder ,I am a complete beginner who barely knows his a*se from his elbow and anyone undertaking the methods shown here must be mad and do so entirely at their own risk.

There, I can't get sued now. :rolleyes:

Here goes.

The origional crown and stem with gen parts below

Throw the washer away as we are not creating a friction joint, we will be using glue.

34299905.jpg

Its always a good idea to measure up parts ( this is the origional crown/stem)

32395217.jpg

Grip the stem in a chuck and unscrew the old crown counter-clockwise (some pressure was required as it is glued on)

27942830.jpg

98900910.jpg

Try the new crown on the stem first before using a small dot of glue to help secure the new crown.

41002738.jpg

The new length is a bit shorter, but nothing to worry about.

75656672.jpg

Tape up the case to protect it from scratches as we now remove the tube. Electrical tape is good as it is not too sticky and is nice and thick to provide protection.

I used some pliers and using a twisting motion was able to remove the tube in one piece, although, it was destroyed.

See the gouge in the tape below were the tube used to be. Thats why we taped it up :whistling:

94049297.jpg

After cleaning out the hole with a file and some rodico ,try the tube in the case to make sure it bottoms out against the case. Then using your favourite glue ( I used Araldite as you need something to make up the gap between the tube and case)

apply around the outer threads on the tube and around the hole in the case. Then push the tube in and clean off any excess.

86296554.jpg

Lightly clamp up the case and tube and allow to dry.

93208774.jpg

Once the glue is dry, try screwing on the crown. Its like butter.

Before re-casing I took the opportunity to remove the He valve and grease it, I also greased the caseback o-ring and the new crown o-ring.

I then assembled the case parts ( NOT THE MOVEMENT YET) and place the watch in a bucket of water to check for leaks around the tube. All this proves is that there is not a gap in the glue and there is a reasonable chance that the tube is water-resistant. You still need to get a proper pressure test if your planning on getting it really wet.

Now you can recase the movement and admire you handywork. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

91080997.jpg

I hope this gives others the confidance to have a go at what turned out to be a fairly simple upgrade.

Remember, I have n't done this before, but i'm willing to have a crack at it.

Cheers all

Arniezac

Nice clamping. Shouldn't you have put some paper on the vise though? That metal-on-metal makes me nervous. :)

It's great to see others doing this. It's an easy and worthwhile mod, especially as the UPO tube shears easily.

To remove the tube, I've tried pliers and all sorts and the only thing that's worked for me was a rat-tail file.

Westy-1.jpg

Using paper on a clamp:

Westy-2.jpg

Nice clamping. Shouldn't you have put some paper on the vise though? That metal-on-metal makes me nervous. :)

The angle of the shot does n't show the tape up on the jaws very well but its there. :rolleyes:

closeupj.jpg

Its a valid point though, ALWAYS USE A SOFT BARRIER BETWEEN METAL CLAMPS AND YOUR WATCH.

Thanks for sharing!

It is a very good news that the length of the stem with the new tube and crown is the same, and you can use the same stem.

Regards,

Francisco

That was my main concern, if the gen crowns hole was deeper it would result in a much shorter stem length which obviously would mean it can't engage with the movement

Whether this is the same for all UPOs or I was lucky ,I don't know.

Slightly off topic but I'd like to thank you Francisco for your How To on replacing the Omega logo.Did you notice the last pic. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

ame='arniezac' date='07 September 2009 - 07:15 AM' timestamp='1252332911' post='717404']

Hello,

You did a great job. is this a UPO 45mm, if so can you give me the parts number. I want to do this now.

Thanks

It is indeed a 45mm UPO. The parts came from Cousins in the UK and are as follows:-

090ST1232 Omega Pendant Case Tube (X12870) x 1 @

That was my main concern, if the gen crowns hole was deeper it would result in a much shorter stem length which obviously would mean it can't engage with the movement

Whether this is the same for all UPOs or I was lucky ,I don't know.

It's the same on mine. If it's too short, just put a big blob of glue on the top of the stem and flood the base of the crown thread with it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

That is one sweet looking UPO . Congrats .

I'd love to get mine looking that good at some point but I just don't think I could put that much money into a rep.

Maybe gen hands and a Chief A.R'd crystal and i'd probably call it a day.

Going by what you've done so far, I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Very little skill is required to fit the tube and you managed to get a gen insert to fit the rep bezel, from what I gather, thats not a simple task.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is indeed a 45mm UPO. The parts came from Cousins in the UK and are as follows:-

090ST1232 Omega Pendant Case Tube (X12870) x 1 @ �3.65 each.

Omega Crown 9 x �6.10, Depth 4.50 Stainless Steel Waterproof (42184ST) x 1 @ �12.30 each

Regards

Arniezac

Fitmic - Don't know if this helps but considering this is a 5 year old post the parts might have changed on the site....