When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

the case for UN Maxi Marine as one of the best watches ever

fotoman

I have been looking forward to this explosion in Nardin watches for some time. What i'm most excited about is the pricing. If they were 400, i couldn't order 1 in every color - which happened to be my plan. I never understood the "sub" guys who had tons of different model subs with only minor differences. However, i love UN as a brand, for a variety of reasons. And easy to say it, the Maxi Marine wasn't my favorite watch of UN. And i Hated that new chrono. I do like the chrono now, it grew on me. And i couldn't see myself selling it at any time soon.

I jumped on the blue surf special edition when it came out. this watch is typical of the maxi marine series. There are small differences between this model and the series of variations that have come out - in what i'm calling the Nardin-off.

Now, argument #1 for my hypothesis. When your considered a premiere high end watch company, especially in the collector market, creating a watch with literally Dozens of variations on the same basic unit says something about the foundation. UN may not be patek philip, but, with the Freak and other artwork dial configurations i believe UN has established itself as much as any other in that high end category. However, what i assume is their bread and butter, they have sub 5, 6, 7k watches These divers are in that category. When i'm talking about the foundation, i mean, the running seconds at 6 w/ date and power reserve at 12. You have seen a few variations so far come out, but, there are even more, including sportier orange dials and rubber straps. There must be 30 variations on that watch available from UN within any 3 yr period. This is the basic watch case that i think UN puts on their back to move product.

Now, why do i love this watch? Its complicated. First off i said this was not my favorite design. But, it is the closest thing toa "daily beater" that i have ever had. I wear it around the house and i don't wear ANY of my other watches around the house. Why? its 42-44 mm. This is that nice big dial look that is popular today, but of course without being obnoxious. Its a very unassuming watch.

Second, this watch is thinner (top to bottom) than most of my watches - mostly because it doesn't have a 7750 in it., But, being round and only of medium height, it doesn't have the tendency to angle and cause pressure on the wrist due to he tipping forces of taller watches. Finally, the metal inserts in teh rubber band, allow for a unique comfortable fit. I enjoy rubber bands on watches. I think they are very comfortable and in florida, its hot alot and i don't have to worry about my leather band taking alot of wear and tear. But, the ingenious of these 2 metal inserts break up the natural tension that exists with the rubber strap and allows contour to your wrist. You get the light and comfortable feeling of those oh so popular rubber strap but, with a fit that is closer to a metal bracelet.

Finally, its dead sexy.

This is basically my case. To summarize, Wide enough dial to catch the modern look; medium height allows for comfort on the wrist; the strap has the benefit of Rubber but with a special UN only technology with those metal links in the rubber band; finally, its dead sexy - and to elaborate its available in dozens of dial variations, dressy, sporty, extreme (orange, yellow) all in 1 watch.

I got to try on robbieg's Gen recently and i can say not only did i like it, but i think the rep is great. - (one caveat is it needs better AR) I can't wait for even more models to drop and frankly you won't believe what ridiculous UN collection I will have put together.

having said that, i'm not tossing out my other watches, variety is still important. In fact, I have 1 more breitling i really want. But i want to suggest to any folks that have never seen a UN in person, or the rep, take the chance to try it on. We ALLLLL know that a watch on the wrist is ALWAYS different than looking at photos as we do, that are 10 or more times the size as the real watch.

and finally - sorry to all those Sub nuts - even if i didn't say anything, i was thinking, - why do they want 20 watches that are basically teh same thing. :) Never really been a rolex man, but i do understand the motivation to put together a special collection.

so - thoughts?

Phoband I am as passionate as you about this brand. I think that they are finally recognizing a true brand. Ulysse Nardin's are in the same league as Breguet's, Lange, Audemars Piguet, Blancpain, Breguet, JLC, Patek Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin. Way more important and recognized in the horological world than Rolex, Tag,Cartiers Omega's, and Breitlings. It is nice to see that they are repping them and at truely great prices. I was truely impressed with my Maxi Chronometer and hope that they continue to expand and come out with more versions.

Interesting thoughts, and especially interesting to read that the metal links in the strap actually serve a practical, rather than purely aesthetic purpose :)

I do know what you mean about the sub variations. I would say my interest in subs falls part-way into that category, in so much as there are a few specific variants which interest me, but, I would say that those variations are significant enough to make each watch stand apart from the others, rather than say, mere variations in color of the dial printing :)

Since RobbieG first posted the Rhodium-dialled MMD, I've rather liked it, and would have been keen to acquire a nice rep of it. His other discussions on the 'economy of watch collecting' and minimizing a collection, would certainly point towards a watch which can be worn for a variety of occasions, and I think the Rhodium MMD fits that catagory, in the same way a Yacht-Master can dress down, just as easily as it can dress up. However... Given the way my collecting is moving towards personal projects, I don't think I would be happy wearing a 'stock purchased' watch day in day out, as now, I would prefer to wear something which I had a hand in building. Maybe I'll wind up with one one-day, maybe I won't, but either way, I do think it is a watch which would make a fine addition to any collection :good:

Guest techlogik

The fact that some of those look like a carnival ride is enough for me to not look at it anymore. The chrono versions that is. Just not my thang...the regular ones aren't bad.

Edited by techlogik

Im not a rose/yellow gold type of person. But If I were to wear this type of watch I think I could wear the Maxi Marine Chrono In this scheme . It's a beautiful piece. I have my eye on the Maxie Marine blk/red, on the rubber strap. I also think this watch looks fantastic on the ss. I really like there wave pattern dial, much more than say the "Omega Sea Master". As far as the Freak go's, "forgetaboutit" B) Mike

I love robbie's :) looking for to a dimple dial purchase, i'm trying to sell my gen corum to pick up some stuff.rf

I am very happy with the blue surf i have now, if it had chieftang AR it would be holy= [censored] wow. Still trying to figure out how to do that, eithr get new crystals, ar them and maybe attach date mags.

still trying to figure it out.

Re: who's got what - Josh and honpo have the same stuff

re: being in love - yaah they had me at Freak.

To buy a gen, - Yes, i could wipe out my collection for a Nardin Gen. However, i'm moving down the payroll scale not up. SO, doubt i'll get one.

l

as much as i love nardin - i am very happy with the reps - kinda like breitling, why buy gen.

But, where is my zenith XXT chroono - there was a half ass attempt at the 40mm one, but, not the 45mm - i dont' get it, they never just make the small one. The dial is th esame, they just have to expand it a little, and do the new case.

I think that watch, is so amazing, and it wears ALOT bigger than it looks. After getting my Breitling grail watch, feeling like the UN is probably on the way

its the Zenith, which even if they rep won't be a 33,600 bmp

:)

I was a the Tourneau sample sale yesterday and they had a few solid gold /black dial MMD's on rubber strap and bracelet. Marked down 50%.....still $14,000 for the rubber strap version.

What a heavy chunk of gold. Absolutely stunning! Can't wait until they rep this one

That is the version I am waiting for. I want it on a gold bracelet but the rubber does look dead sexy.

Hey Robbie! Good to see ya mate!

Gotta agree, I love my Blue Surf. The price of these is crazy low for what you get. All it needs is for the crystal to have a trip to CT and it would be perfect.

P9110006.jpg

P9110005.jpg

Think I would like to order a braclet to see how it looks on that as well. Should prob get a spare strap as well since they won't last for ever.

BTW, is the TT lume correct or another silly fault from the factory?

Col.