When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Deployant Clasp: Rep vs Gen Side by Side

lhooq

615880071_m6eED-X3.jpg

This is a post I wrote a couple of months ago at a different forum, before I knew about the existence of a dedicated 'Rep v. Gen' forum at RWG. I thought it would be worth a repost here:

Last June, I bought an 18mm deployment clasp for my Speedmaster Professional from an authorized dealer. Prior to that, I'd been using a rep deployant I'd ordered from Perfect Clones. (I didn't get a real Omega clasp back then since my local AD estimated 2 months' shipping--and I was impatient!) A bit pricey as far as rep straps/buckles go, but I was pretty happy with the quality when I got it. The rep Planet Ocean 'leather' strap it came with was crap, but the clasp itself looked almost exactly like the pictures of the original on ofrei.com. Worn on my wrist, there was no way anybody could tell it wasn't the real thing.

So why did I finally break down and pay big bucks for a gen deployant? The first thing that bugged me was that the buckle didn't close completely. The strap would be locked in place, but between the two halves there would be a 0.5mm gap on one side, and a 1mm gap on the other. Not something anyone could notice, but it's one of those things that slowly drives you nuts! Second and more importantly, every time I adjusted my strap length, the sides of the strap would be abraded by the inner metal surface. As good as the rep deployant looked, if you ran your fingertip across its surfaces you'd feel a lot of sharp edges. Finally, I figured that if my watch was 90% genuine, I might as well go for the full 100%. The Speedmaster is what I wear most, and I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. Why be cheap with my #1 watch?

Here, then, are the comparison shots of the rep and gen Omega deployants. Originally, I just wanted to get a closer look at what was chewing up my straps, but then I remembered the Novesh comparo. The gen is always on the right, or is the lower of two pictures. Also, it's labelled! Let's begin:

615880098_esnha-X3.jpg

This is why my leather straps were getting damaged. Check out the sharp, unfinished edges to the upper-left and upper-right of the peg.

615880111_25Ltc-X3.jpg

The profiles are similar, and the rep is pretty comfortable on the wrist. I'd read that the older rep deployants weren't curved as smoothly. You can also see the gap I mentioned under the pushbutton.

615880164_NKuzH-X3.jpg

615880198_Caebg-X3.jpg

Very clear differences in the shape and finish. Maybe if the rep spent more time at the grinding wheel?

615909324_jqoFw-X3.jpg

615909367_74zRH-X3.jpg

Probably the worst-finished part of the rep. You can also see the big difference in the shape of the pushbuttons.

615880237_XnZh4-X3.jpg

615880356_tHqgc-X3.jpg

Here's why the rep clasp doesn't close tightly. The bumps in the middle are what lock the two halves in place. The tolerance needs to be extremely fine to minimize play, and the rep just doesn't have it. Also, check out the rough surface under the 'feet' of the Omega symbol. Glue or brazing filler?

617825939_ujASg-X3.jpg

617825958_8yqqz-X3.jpg

More examples of sharp edges ground away. Note that the markings are almost identical, except for the three letters on one of the posts. These letters may differ on genuine examples; I don't know what they mean.

615880273_yhMe9-X3.jpg615880308_BQZuP-X3.jpg

Oddly enough, the rep has a more rounded slot than the gen! Sleeker profile overall, but is it worth the extra money? It's your call, obviously, but I wouldn't have bought the genuine article if it wasn't for a real Speedy. In hindsight, though, I wish I'd ordered the deployant from my AD, and worn the bracelet for a couple of months while waiting.

615943164_jgG9M-X3.jpg

Hope this has been useful to some of you Omega Men out there!

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...