When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sunday Close-Ups

Guest ThePhilosopher

I keep looking at those pics mate but for the life of me I cant see the watch!!! :D

Seriously those pics are in a different class to anything I have seen on here regardless of subject! Respect mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Guest ThePhilosopher

Thanks all for the compliments - sharing technical know-how should be a given in photography (some photographers are snarky with their "secrets") - technical mastery will only get you so far, you need a creative vision and eye as well. However, without the technical prowess you're limited to what you can do creatively because you do not have the know-how to pull off a shot (kind of like teaching math when you have a degree in Humanities).

awesome work. I just got my Tamron macro lens tonight and i'm sucking bad. Its a 75-300mm 1:4-5.6

...whatever the hell that means. :lol:

All I know is if I get within 5 feet of anything, its blurry. How am I supposed to take close-ups if I cant get close?!

Guest ThePhilosopher

Should have checked the specs on it - it's a minimum focusing distance of 4.9' and a maximum magnification of 1:3.9 (not really a macro at all). I'd take/send it back. You want a macro lens that has a 1:1 magnification - that's macro, you have a close-up lens (5' and a 300mm gets rather close, but won't yield what you're looking for).

Should have checked the specs on it - it's a minimum focusing distance of 4.9' and a maximum magnification of 1:3.9 (not really a macro at all). I'd take/send it back. You want a macro lens that has a 1:1 magnification - that's macro, you have a close-up lens (5' and a 300mm gets rather close, but won't yield what you're looking for).

I am just being a smart ass. its a telephoto macro lens, and the for the price ($0.00) I think I'll keep it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest ThePhilosopher

I know it's not Sunday and I cannot really be bothered to start coding a blog again, but here's a macro.

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION

Camera Model: NIKON D3

Lens: 90.0 mm f/2.8

Image Date: 2010-06-24

Focal Length: 90mm (35mm equivalent: 90mm)

Focus Distance: 0.3m

Aperture: f/11.0

Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)

ISO equiv: 800

Exposure Bias: none

Metering Mode: Spot

Exposure: Manual

Exposure Mode: Manual

White Balance: Manual

Flash Fired: No

Color Space: sRGB

Lizard_0001.jpg

Guest ThePhilosopher

Thanks - it's really easy to get lots of creamy bokeh shooting macros (perhaps too easy).

Edited by ThePhilosopher

• 1 month later...
Guest ThePhilosopher

Camera Maker: SINAR

Camera Model: SINAR ALPINA

Film: Kodak Plus-X 125 4x5

Lens: 150mm f/5.6

Image Date: 2010-07-25

Focal Length: 150mm (35mm equivalent: 50mm)

Focus Distance: 0.2m

Aperture: f/45.0

Exposure Time: 0.033 s (1/30)

ISO equiv: 125

Mushroom_002_s.jpg