When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacement DSSD insert correct 10

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest techlogik

Quick update on my efforts to swap out the Ultimate insert with the new Joshua corrected insert. I first removed the pearl on the Ultimate insert by heating it up which loosened it to where I could use my finger nail to pull it off. I then used the pointed end of a watch band tool inserted in the pearl hole to lift up the insert. I also heated up the insert with a hair dryer. (It is held in place quite well with 2 sided tape along the outer most bottom edge of insert. I then used a razor blade around the inner edge (near crystal) to pry up the insert. It took a lot of effort. Unfortunately the insert cracked at the spot for the pearl but that didn't bother me as I'm replacing it.

I then removed the pearl on the replacement insert as I liked the one on the original Ultimate one better - it appears more authentic while the one on the Josh insert seems too white and looks fake to me. I popped it out from the back. You just stick a toothpick or pointy end of watch band tool into the hole underneath the pearl and push. It takes effort - it was definitely well glued in. I recommend applying a little acetone by the hole to dissolve the glue. But be careful and use it sparingly to avoid it seeping through to the other side and damaging the paint. I used a Q-tip and just swiped the back with acetone (also used it to clean the bezel before gluing in the new insert.) FYI - the paint underneath the pearl may also come up but it doesn't matter as you can't see it when you place back the pearl. I tried to avoid this but it still happened.

Now the tedious part - sanding down the insert. I started with the black wet/dry sandpaper I had at the house. Started with 400 but that did not seem to do much so I switched to 320 and finally to 220. After around a half hour of working on the insert I got it to fit flush with the bezel edge (it is initially higher). I started to get impatient so I decided to put the insert aside and look for a better type of sand paper tomorrow to speed up the process. I also noticed a little rocking in the bezel even before I started. There is a little difference between the replacement insert and the Ultimate insert. The Ultimate insert is thin and has no outer ridge on the underside. The replacement insert has an outer ridge and that's what needs to be sanded down for the right fit. I plan to use crazy glue for the pearl and Wurth (Germany) rubber cement to secure the insert to the bezel. I figure if its good enough for my Porsche it should work fine on the insert. I'll post an update once I get the insert to fit right.

Thanks, post pics when done.

UPDATE: Another night of sanding (I have to pace myself because of the finger abrasions) and I'm almost there. I'll try to do some more tonight. I'm now using 100 grade wet or dry (black) sand paper. It's doing a nice job of taking the skin off the tip of my fingers!

Here's my question - is the pearl on the original bezel to the Ultimate V5 DSSD spot on? I "personally" like it better than what came with the replacement bezel - which is more white and less translucent than the other pearl. Any thoughts?

anytime I glue in a pearl I apply the glue from the back of the insert "after" I place the pearl in the insert.

that way I can use a tiny glob of super glue and dab it on the backside of the pearl and over the edge of the pearl to bond it from the back.. no mess on the front portion of the insert..

Thanks for the blow by blow ajminla, I hope you continue to keep us updated!

Hows yours coming along Lani?

Also a question... does anyone know if the older Ultimate (pre 316F/3135) pearl "cup" fit in this new bezel?

Mines with The Zigmeister ATM and will be a little bummed if it doesn't.

Would love to see some more progress pics guys!