When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Experimenting with Macro Converter

ammandel

Have been experimenting with a couple of things for my camera. I have a 50D with a 18-200.. and I wanted to experiment with one of these 'scammy' looking chinese Wide angle/Macro 'extender' screw on things..

21e1LOPiuyL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

Like this..

I found that the closest I could get with my 18-200 was around this range..

4378800935_d026923c8f_o.jpg

However with the macro extender I'm able to get closer, I dont think theres much image degradation when used properly..

4404033256_15a15b3895_b.jpg

However, if I zoom to 200 with the macro extender on then at times it can focus but produces odd results :rolleyes:

4404047686_64f0877535_b.jpg

Before, I had experimented with using a camera phone & a loupe for macro shots which wielded some also interesting results!

4402844180_673850713a_o.png

When I use my macro lens for shots 1 inch away I will not get total focus on the entire image.. nor do I want to .. "depth of field" is what I use the macro for ..the draw back with not using photoshop or other programs that alter the image is you will pick up things that cannot be seen with the naked eye.. good sometimes and at times a hinder..

for me lighting is the key to the macro.. the fact that I can play with natural lighting to create the image to fit the macro shot makes it fun..

All my macro shots are manually focused .. the lighting is manipulated to best display the area I am shooting.. a small sliver of light when shot with a macro can be displayed in an amazing way..imo..

That's what it will do .. so if it's not priced too high it would be a good accessory to have ..imo..

been wondering where ya been to mandel :thumbsupsmileyanim:

what about at a 45 degree angle from the subject.. how does it perform ??

love the capabilities of the mac though..

Good choice Ammandel.

I also use a 50D . For macro photo's i use a Sigma 1:1 105 2.8 EX lens.

As Lani said you should always use the manual focus option.

Combined with the live view option in which you can enlarge the view of the focus area by 10 times

you will get crystal sharp images ( much better then with the autofocus mode )

Recently i bought a remote control to release the shutter. This way you will never get a unsharp picture with long

shutter speed due to the fibration caused by pressing the shutter release button on the camera.

Enjoy your 50D

Carpe Diem

Cats

Understood. I was talking about your second Breitling shot with the extreme distortion at the edges. The genuine Canon close-up adapter will have much better edge to edge sharpness as long as the subject is carefully positioned to be in the same focal plane (as in your shot). On the other hand, artistically, I think your image is very cool.

Hmm, Did I not explain this well?? :p I have already purchased one and the images were a result of my using it!