When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some reps that I have owned in the past

By-Tor

I've owned some amazing and not-so-amazing reps over the years. I have traded or gave away most of them. Not because they had flaws or annoyances but simply because they never received enough wrist time in my watch rotation. Here's a few of them (and a few thoughts about them). Actually I'm a bit embarrassed how loopsided and "mainstream" my past and present watches have been... not much variation or imagination.

Actually I have owned many, many more (50+ reps actually) but these are just something that I found from my Photobucket album.

Most of these watches have been reviewed in my section (click my signature).

Rolex Yacht-Master

I owned a budget version of the excellent "Noob" YM, from Narikaa. One of the best purchases I've had, the value was amazing. I gave it away to Takashi because he worked on my rep GMT. I dunno, YM simply doesn't do it for me. Beautiful watch but in the end of the day it always felt like just a "gay Submariner". Sorry. :D Of course the WM9 version Yachtie is in the league of its own but the Noob version wasn't too shabby, either.

5.jpg

Tudor Military Sub MBW

This came from an old school seller, Watchmaster/Kenzo. It was a Tudor Snowflake dial installed on a standard MBW 5513 case. Pretty nice and I guess this was the first snowflake rep owned by a forum member. Nothing compared to the incredible frankens that some members have built recently, but nice watch anyway. I traded it pretty quickly as I'm not a huge vintage Rolex guy. Call me crazy but I simply don't like the plastic protruding crystal.

IMG_2486.jpg

TAG Link Chronograph 7750

One of my most popular rep reviews. According to one major dealer, this particular model sold sh*tloads. Loved this watch, and especially the bracelet. But the lack of AR made the dial extremely reflective. Old gen Link doesn't have AR, either but the dial was so reflective that it was actually difficult to read time occasionally. But one of these days I'm getting myself a new generation gen Link... as I said the bracelet is superb.

2a.jpg

TAG Aquaracer Chronograph Day-Date

My favorite chronograph, rep or gen. I sold this because I got the gen. As you can see the SEL on my watch wasn't too stellar. I managed to fix it (partially) later though.

3a1.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow Venus

One of my all time favorites. This belongs to my brother now so I see it at least every month. Loved this rep and I wish it was still available. Not the most accurate one, but has lots of "spirit". I still get PMs about this watch from new members occasionally. Funny.

xx.jpg

Rolex Submariner WM9 v1 aka "Perfect Sub" by Precious Time

Sold this excellent replication because I upgraded to v2. Actually this is one the few reps that I regret selling (at least a bit). Loved the "Flat S" dial and it had the best SELs I've ever seen on a Rolex replica. I installed WM9 v1 SELs on my v2 too. Much nicer.

3.jpg

Rolex Submariner "TW Best"

This was "hot stuff" when Phil Collins still had lots of hair. Yes compared to WM9 it's pretty horrible but many considered this the best OTB modern Sub rep in its day. You newbies are spoiled, lol! Too bad I can't find photos of my old CN versions. But then again maybe it's better that way...

1.jpg

Rolex "Noobmariner"

Actually I owned both ETA and Asian versions. The cheap, original $100 Noobmariner without the terrible, misaligned rehaut engraving is still very, very decent Sub for the money.

3a.jpg

Rolex Explorer II CN version correct hand stack white

Easily forgettable. Maybe the worst and the most disappointing rep I have owned. There is nothing good to say about this POS. The CHS movement stopped a few times every hour (seconds hand got stuck) and the horrible light grey hour markers truly pissed me off. Fortunately the good dealer agreed to take it back. Good riddance. BEWARE: Some dealers still offer this piece of junk... I wouldn't take one for free.

w_dial.jpg

Rolex Explorer II CN version correct hand stack black

Actually the dealer swapped my whitey to this one. Much, much better dial, and a working CHS movement. Great crown but cyclops/date positioned too right just like on all CN versions. But still, this is a half-decent rep actually.

3.jpg

Rolex Explorer II "Noobfactory" version black WHS

The best OTB ExpII replica there is/will never be, and definitely among the top-5 Rolex replicas ever. The one without infamous, horrible Noobfactory rehaut engraving (do I repeat myself, sorry). Stunning. Traded it quickly because I collected funds to my PP for a gen purchase. This didn't get enough wrist rotation. The watch on the picture has gen crown installed, default crown is terrible.

PS: I told everyone to get this watch for $200-something when it was still available. But did they listen? Of course not. Now they're buying these from the member sales section for crazy, inflated prices. Morons. :D

7.jpg

Rolex Day-Date

Of course the gen is made of white gold and the rep is laughably light in comparison. The blue dial was off too (what a surprise). I never owned it, a dealer sent it to me for a review as I was curious to see it.

1.jpg

But when I put it on I felt almost embarrassed how small it looked on me so I asked my girlfriend (now wifey) to pose me a few review wrist shots.

IMG_0433.jpg

Rolex TT Sub Noobfactory ETA

Still the best and nicest TT Sub (after the WM9). And I've had the CN version, the TW version and the MBW version. I love TT Subs in pictures but when you put one on, it's just well... too much.

3s.jpg

Rolex TT Submariner MBK

Expensive rep with sloppy finishing and details. Look at that nasty glue crawling under the insert! On top of that it had that terrible rehaut engraving. Very nice tone on the blue dial though.

2.jpg

"Reduced" Venus Speedmaster

I bought this one from a member sale. It was dirt cheap back then when members still didn't have nerve to ask dealer prices for their old beaters. Mostly a fantasy model but quite nice at that. I mean, those transparent Venus casebacks can't be beaten. Love 'em! Actually I didn't even remember that I had owned this one. Damn you can make revelations when you scroll your old Photobucket. biggrin.gif

comp_ending.jpg

Ultimate Planet Ocean "UPO"

Very nice rep, even by today's standards. Initially I liked it but the honeymoon turned out to be quite short. Lack of 2XAR and the overall clumsy wrist presence didn't do it for me so I traded it rather quickly. I have owned a few big 45mm watches but this wore the biggest. I'm a Omega fan through and through but UPO is not for me. It could have worked with the rubber strap but the rep strap came after I had traded mine.

bubbles2.jpg

See how big it looked, even when I was 270 pounds and lifting "monster heavy" back then. Crazy how small people can wear this one. On a bracelet it was the most "unbalanced" watch I ever had. Wears much better on a rubber though.

wrist1.jpg

Planet Ocean 4th Generation 42mm

Loved this but the bracelet was very low quality. I was actually able to bend the clasp metal with my fingers! The rep was nice but SEL and pearl were off and there was no AR. I just recalled that I owned the 3rd Generation PO too... but I couldn't find the pics anymore. I guess they got buried with the original RWG1. The "base rep" is nothing special but it's possible to build a fantastic franken around this model. Ubi and Dluddy (and I recall Lani too) have amazing versions. During my hiatus they had released a new 42mm UPO. If I ever buy another replica watch again, that will be the one.

color1.jpg

Omega Seamaster Black GMT

This one I loved. It came with Asian 21J movement and I bought it from Wackobirdkeeper for $95. Total bargain and surprisingly accurate rep. On this photo I have it on a Bond bracelet (that's what the early black GMT's came with). Eventually I traded this too but I don't remember why. Some kind of impulse move I guess... I wanted the improved ETA version that never came.

4copy.jpg

Old School MBW "Red" Submariner 1680

When I came to rep forums, everyone was raving about MBW's and "how amazing they are and how difficult they are to source". MBW was almost mythical figure. Palpatine aka "Palp" was a good forum friend of mine and he got one for me straight from Maria. He did amazing work with the hour markers and "vintagized" it. But then I learned more about the vintage Sub and realized how completely and utterly inaccurate the red version replica is. The dial is just totally off. These watches are incredible franken-bases though... but their reputation as "amazing replicas OTB" is just as outdated as last month's newspaper. If you want a good vintage Sub, avoid the red version, that's my advice. And as stated earlier, I'm not a huge vintage Rolex guy anyway...

7.jpg

Rolex GMT Master II "TW Best"

I had a long and desperate chase to find the "perfect GMT". I should have bought the gen immediately and not waste my time with reps. Not that the 16710 reps aren't good... no, I had many decent ones. But when you have a "grail watch" it's only frustrating to seek perfection from the Chinese wonders. This one for starters... it was the "TW Best" model. Very nicely built watch but not terribly accurate... and expensive to boot. I also had a two "CN" versions of the 16710 but couldn't find the pictures.

4.jpg

"Retro" GMT Master II from Joshua

This watch had flaws too, but like the TW version, it possessed extremely good quality feel. I traded it to a good forum friend. This was the best there was (before the corrected "Noob" version came out".)

7.jpg

Noobfactory "BK" GMT Master II

This is still the best one out there. The initial versions had Explorer II sized ROLEX printing & coronet on the dial but when it was fixed I had to get one. Best case and best base for a franken without a doubt. I still can recommend this model to everyone. Great rep, I owned four (yes FOUR) of these. One was with correct hand stack and it eventually broke. I gave the POS to my mate Mystery Modder. Maybe he managed to use some spare parts from it.

1-1.jpg

Rolex GMT Master II "Ceramic"

Nice rep and everything. Very popular model. Not that I disliked it but as Neil once put it "it was boring like a rainy afternoon in Belgium" (sorry Stephane). biggrin.gif I traded it pretty quickly. Good riddance.

wallp.jpg

Ebel 1911 Chronograph Quartz

Now this one brings back some memories. One of my first reps, purchased from Richard Lawton's endless collection. Very, very nice quartz rep. Of course the gen sports an inhouse Modulor movement and cheapy quartz can't compare... but flaws don't really matter on lesser known brands that much, imho. I have always loved the classic 1911 chronograph and if there was a two-tone version of this rep available, I'd buy it without hesitation... even today.

S5300030.jpg

Ebel 1911 BTR Quartz

There was no BTR rep so the membership was getting anxious. Narikaa had a cure for the disease. A cheapie quartz version. Inaccurate as hell and way too slim, but I actually liked it a lot. For a few days. Rep collecting can be fun too... it's not just an obsessive journey to find the most accurate one. Sometimes it's fun to buy some cheap shit. This is another watch that I had completely forgotten about though.

title1.jpg

Breitling SFSO Blue from the initial batch

Here's a bit "overcontrasted on purpose" artsy photo of my old favorite. Superb, superb replication. I sold it because I thought I had a sealed deal on a gen.

bre_ending.jpg

Breitling SFSO Black

Couldn't find a gen immediately so I had to get another rep SFSO to cease the pain. Superb replica just like the blue version. Then I eventually found the gen and traded it (just recently).

1a.jpg

Breitling Navitimer Old Asian 7750, Serie Speciale old rep version

When I came to rep forums I didn't like the Navitimer at all. But tastes change and I purchased this one through a member trade. Nice one but had some fundamental flaws, like polished case and bracelet (for starters). The bracelet with all links intact was small and tight enough to stop my blood flow so I gave it away (I think).

navi_love.jpg

Breitling Navitimer "Tricompax" two-tone

Now this one I loved. Truly a beautiful piece and still the best gold rep I have owned. I traded it because it simply didn't fit my wrist, plus was too lazy to start searching for the extra links. And like all gold watches that I've owned it had the same destiny: They're just "too much", you know... but definitely a lovely rep.

tt_cuffs_big.jpg

Omega Seamaster "Bond"

Now this is my most worn rep. I wore it weekly for 4 years and loved it. This is from the old batch and had the superb bracelet. Traded it because I eventually bought the gen. Bond Seamaster is just... well... perfect.

97.jpg

Audemars Piguet Seven Sails

I think this was a fantasy model. But PT was selling this for a discount so I grabbed one because I wanted to see how I like AP. I was in two minds about it, and since I'm not a strap guy so I traded it too.

title_shot.jpg

Breitling BCE 7750 v3

All that rave about how great the BCE replicas were. I wasn't too impressed. The lume markers were like chewing gum and the overall quality wasn't that "great". And BCE was too much of a "pimp watch" for me anyway. Flipped it quickly.

8.jpg

Ebel BTR 7750

The best quality replica I have owned (built quality wise). Period. Incredible bracelet, incredible finish and details. Yeah the subdials are off, etc. but who cares. This is highly recommended if you want an impressive watch, rep or gen. Traded this for a gen purchase. I still do love this replica and it's among the only reps I regret selling. A stunner... amazing!

IMG_1488.jpg

Breitling Skyland v2

This was a great watch but it never got any wrist time so I decided to give it a go. I traded it to a good member but it was stolen by the post office workers. The first watch I ever lost in transaction.

800.jpg

White franken Explorer II

This had a genuine dial and the very old, initial Noobfactory case. I loved it, I really did. But Explorer II was a bit too small for me and eventually it didn't get any wrist time. So I traded this too. Crazy me... it was insanely accurate franken.

7a.jpg

Breitling B01 Chronomat

Now this watch never become very popular among the members but I really liked it. Much more than the old BCE. Weird. But then again I never wore it, either so I decided to scrap it. But overall I think it hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves. Excellent, high quality replication.

2-14.jpg

Thanks for looking. I will add more entries later. smile.gif

Thanks Lani. Compared to you I'm a small timer though... :D

It really pisses me off that I've lost the photos of the old ones that I've owned. Many, many reps that new members could find fascinating. "Fascinatingly bad" by todays standards I'm afraid but they'd portray the evolution of the Sub nicely (for example).

The problem is that those old reviews are in the original RWG1 and I used Imageshack to store the photos. After my hard drive crashed I lost all of them.

BT - thanks!...your reviews and amazing photos are seared into our memories and watch quests...you've been very supportive, patient and helpful with me and countless others...

I fell for the Broad Arrow after reading your review/pictorial and was lucky to pick one up...as you say, it's really one classic piece...

R-

img3791medium.jpg

img3808medium.jpg

How i wished i kept all of my pics of the watches that i once owned, but are only memories now. Oh about 4-5 closed Omega Seamasters with the correct HE valve come to mind......

Good stuff BT and thanks for posting.

That was some effort.

But I suspect that there is some more hidden in the depths- perhaps not so great, but please post them up when you can. The old days were good even when they were bad.

Thanks,

Carl

Great photo essay. You had some lovely watches, and of course as we all encounter, some real clunkers as well.I'm with you on the lost photos. It's so nice since digital came along, and we can save all our photos to our hard drives. I probably collected for 25-30 years with no photos, just too much hassle to shoot have developed and then find a place to save them, Well, water under the bridge.

Your help, advice and reviews have been instrumental in helping lots and lots of us with watch buying decisions over the years. A big hats off to you my friend.

• 1 year later...

Loved the pictures and now have a definite craving for the Broad Arrow. Wonder if anyone has one or if a rep dealer would re-tool if there was a enough demand.

I doubt it. It's very old rep model.

They made another version with sapphire crystal (same that hackr has). That's nice too, but not quite as nice. :)

I would LOVE to buy one brand new as well. That's a mighty watch... really hard to believe it's a rep.

• 1 year later...