When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Seamaster300; Rep vs Gen

ubiquitous

Thanks to jeff g for providing me the opportunity to compare the rep and gen SM300 (165.024).

Not a whole lot to compare- There's quite a lot of difference between these two! The rep appears to have a larger case body than gen, and it does! By about 1mm or so (I can't provide exact measurements at the moment as I don't have a digitcal caliper on hand). However, despite the larger case, the bezel on the rep is about a mm too small :g: Case body is a bit thick in profile (the gen is a relatively thin watch). The rep's lugs are shaped incorrectly, thus giving the appearance of being even larger than it really is. The lugs on the rep are 21mm, whereas on the gen they are 20mm. Plus, it's quite light in weight... Almost feels like you could float this thing on water :) A very odd case...

The dial seems to be a bit big on the rep; the gen has a little metal ring around the outside diameter that acts as the rehaut. Fonts are, of course much different in size, color and appearance.

The rep crown is a bit thin and sits a little too recessed in the guards. The bezel feels flimsy and not very confidence inspiring. It also has a very modern Rolex-like feel rotating the bezel, and has 120 clicks (my gen has only 60 clicks of the ratchet). The insert of the rep is a painted metal insert, not bakelite like the gen. Bezel teeth are incorrect as well.

All in all, I'm feeling... underwhelmed :)

Anyways, before I pulled this thing apart for the hands, I snapped some pics... Not much else to say that the pics don't say on their own.

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

Hope this little comparison has been somewhat informative... It's a bit terse as I don't have the time at the moment to really write a ton about this watch, but if anyone has specific questions regarding this rep, I'll answer as best as I can :)

Cheers,

//ubi -_-

Great comparison R.

Two questions:

Is this the only available SM300 rep out there?

Is the different '12 hour marker on the rep replicated from another model variation, or just plain wrong?

I'd like to add this to the Omega Guide but I haven't followed the replications much at all.

Great comparison R.

Two questions:

Is this the only available SM300 rep out there?

Is the different '12 hour marker on the rep replicated from another model variation, or just plain wrong?

I'd like to add this to the Omega Guide but I haven't followed the replications much at all.

The "Big" triangle at 12 is a correct variation of the Gen(I had one).

Thanks, gang! Indeed... Quite a lot of difference between these two; the rep is an interesting interpretation of the gen. Seeing this one in person also answers some questions for me that others have raised on the forum...

1) This is not just a recycled PO case, but rather a case all it's own I believe. I've not seen one like it before on any other Omega rep.

2) Gen parts will not fit or swap over

Now, to answer some of the specific questions raised in this thread thus far:

1) There is a gen dial variation with the large 12:00 marker for both date and no-date. No difference in model ref (165.024 or 166.024), so I'm not sure if there is any reference discernment to identify the different dials (my guess would be no, aside from maybe date of production ranges possibly).

2) I have seen some other replicas of this vintage SM300, but they're more along the lines of franken builds on eBay, using VN sourced cases but using genuine movements (i.e. Omega 552 or 565). Of course there are also the watchco builds, but I consider those to be gens that just weren't actually assembled at the Omega factory (since they are comprised of all gen parts).

Not sure what I'll be doing with the case/movement etc at this point now... Maybe figure out a way to turn it into some sort of sterile project of sorts?

It's the profile that kills this rep for me :thumbdown: Case shape, and in particular, bezel height.

Same here, which is why I'm still setting some money aside for a good gen. That said, it's a reasonable resemblance when you're looking straight down at the dial, but how often do you see that exact view while you're wearing it?

Ubi: Is it possible that the rep SM300 case began as a rep Speedy case, but with the chrono holes and notches filled in?

I can think of one genuine part that will fit: An Omega 20mm Milanese! Sure, it would double the value of the watch, but you'd be able to fool distant observers from more angles!

Same here, which is why I'm still setting some money aside for a good gen. That said, it's a reasonable resemblance when you're looking straight down at the dial, but how often do you see that exact view while you're wearing it?

Ubi: Is it possible that the rep SM300 case began as a rep Speedy case, but with the chrono holes and notches filled in?

I can think of one genuine part that will fit: An Omega 20mm Milanese! Sure, it would double the value of the watch, but you'd be able to fool distant observers from more angles!

Hmmmm... It's possible that it could be a rep Speedy case, but the 21mm lugs of this rep case make me think otherwise...

:g:

@Gran-

By sterile, I mean unsigned dial :) Plain, colorless, etc. would probably apply.

:lol:

If anything, I'm chasing what others are already after to begin with ;) So many grails out there... I just wonder how many are tucked away, unknown with sellers unaware of what they have? There's gotta be quite a few out there, somewhere...

The flea markets are definitely fun to go through, cause that's where I would suspect such a treasure to turn up! Next time you're down there perusing the pieces offered, maybe snap a pic if you find something interesting (or are able to; dunno how vendors feel about that), and maybe post up here. Might be the next discovery ;)

What I find tricky about searching for a genuine SM300 is finding the one that's in just the right condition that I find pleasing. They range from being beautifully aged like ubi's example, to pieces that have been through utterly miserable, Pulp Fiction-esque experiences. And maybe a previous owner decided to replace one or two parts. Don't get me wrong: I would love to have a shiny Watchco SM300, but getting that mix of old and new right and finding one that's old, but doesn't look TOO old...

As I said, it's tricky and an issue that I find cropping up with Seamaster 300s more than other models. Perhaps it's because there are so many of them around?

I purchased this rep from local dealers.

There are 3 versions currently available.

The date wheel version is totally incorrect, because like many other rep 'date' watches, the window is WAYYY too far left on the dial. Not even close to the gens.

There are gens that have both a black and a white date wheel. both are correct, although I prefer black. The black version however, is not available thru any of our dealers here.

The no date version that I purchased is called the BIG Triangle version, and was current in the mid 60's.

Ubi's watch has no triangle at 12:00, but rather numbers at 12,3,6,and 9. His particular watch dial is also correct, and although the 'Big Triangle' is more rare than the model with numbers on the dial, many feel that the BIG and LITTLE triangle models are a bit DIAL HEAVY.

I ordered this watch because I was interested in future modding possibilities.

However as Ubi states in his comparison, IMO this watch has so many flaws about it, it was not worth throwing good money after bad.

Like others here I have been searching for over a year for genuine vintage 300. Prices vary for 1200.00

up to 2400.00. I have seen them advertised on quite a few gen forums as well as ebay.

Most are not as nice as Ubi's, and there are a LOT of Fakes out there. (Can you believe that?).

Watchco is your best bet, but as stated, Watchco vintage pieces are primarily pieces that are put together with available gen parts, and look like it.

The best thing about this rep model are the hands. I guess that is why Ubi was willing to use them in his

beautiful 'Franken'.

Caveat Emptor.

My 165.024 has certainly seen some better days :) But it has some fun character, and the patina, cracked insert and all, is what makes this watch all it's own. In all fairness, this is my son's watch; right now he's all of 6 years old, but someday it will be his. I hope he appreciates my foresight of having picked this one up when I had the chance, and doesn't dismiss it as simply an old, beat up relic :)

• 1 month later...