When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BP 5002 Review

DIE GROSSE FLIEGERUHR

IWC 5002 BIG PILOT

Well, what we have been longing for: The BP 5002 has been released... and rather suddenly and very quietly without fanfare... maybe we'll see more versions in time.. such as the 5004.

I prefer the 5002 for the "vintage" layout..so I for one am happy that they replicated the 5002 first.. although this is not the first replication of this model .. hopefully it is done better as a genuine 5002 was used as sample..

The Original Die Grosse Fliegeruhr ~ B-Uhr

Before I get into the 5002 as a Replication, let's look at the origins of the Big Pilot .. As the Big Pilot was launched as a tribute or "throw back" to the B-Uhr of the 1940'

The Original "DIE GROSSE FLIEGERUHR" - the B-Uhr manufactured by IWC for the German Airforce in the 1940's

a09vornjk9.jpg lacobuhrtv5.jpg

The size of the B-Uhr was huge !! 55 mm, the size is due to the fact that the timepiece was worn outside the aviators jacket .. and the Onion crown so large because the aviator used the crown while wearing his gloves,.. and the dial (large) could be read from all angles without hinderance

buhrtimepiecewx8.jpg

The B-Uhr movement~

lacobuhrbackql5.jpg

Some of the Houses that produced Military aviators watches.. along with IWC

IWC

A. Lange

Laco

Stowa

Wempe-other smaller houses( Austrian and german stores private makes), varied movts by Unitas and Minerva

In 2002 the IWC Factory produced the 5002 BP .. With it's vintage dial layout and buffalo strap.. unlike the B-Uhr a power reserve was added at the 3 and a date window at the 6

50021ah8.jpg

The Replication BP 5002

Vitals ~ Replication

Model : Brushed SS Case, Black Dial, White Markers ( Lume on Hours Indices), Fixed Power Reserve Indicator (Faux 7 days) , Premium Thick Brown Leather Strap with Insignia Single Foldover Deployant Clasp

Movement: Decorated Asian Automatic Movement, 25J 21600bph

Functions : Hours, Minutes, Secs, Date @ 6.00

Dimensions : Diameter 46.2mm x 15.8mm Thk

Weight : 144 grams

Material : 1 piece forged/Engraved case construction, solid 316 stainless steel

Back : Solid Case Back with Detail Engraving on Case (Both Sides - All correct Spelling)

Crown : One-piece Screw down Crown with o ring

Crystal: Sapphire Crystal Swiss Standard Double AR Coated

Water-resistant

The Genuine ~ 46.2 ; 150 grams

I will quote the movement from a review .. I really don't want to just use my own words when in fact it would be plagarism..

"IWC didn't use any movement in it's new Big Pilot, when it came time to choose a movement, they picked the caliber 5011 movement with 7 day power reserve and and date display. This movement is also used in the popular Portuguese Automatic line of watches. IWC recently replaced the 5011 movement in the Big Pilot and Portuguese Automatic with the 51110 movement which increased the rate from 18,000 vph to 21,600 vph. My model Big Pilot has the newer movement."

The Genuine

5002ts5.jpg

The Replication .. the hands look very well done, the lettering is sharp ... with a genuine AR (which is rather good on the rep) I believe the dial will look even better..!! The ticks and markers look good.. the font on the PR could be a little thicker (IMO) and yes the DW is sunken rather deeply... but all around .. you decide..

dsc0073qx2.jpg

The Crystal

Genuine ... Sapphire convex double AR..

bp2dh9.jpg

The Replication.... is very good !. however with a "great" AR this dial would SING !! Chief has stated that he is going to be doing genuine "Brand" AR.. the AR on the BP has "heavy HUE" .. so this will not be an issue given a trip to Cali

bp5002021wj5.jpg

The Markers at the 12 may seem a little off.. it is the slight angle of the rep in the pic .. they are actually spot on.. the pic can be decieving..(my pic) the fiber at the 8 is in the dial.. it is driving me nutz.. I don't feel ambitious enough tonight ..

Genuine

bp10mw0.jpg

Replication.. the hands are silver.. it's the lighting.. I tried to "replicate the genuine pics".. the rings in the PR sub are a little rough on the replication .. but good with the naked eye..

bp5002010hj6.jpg

The Crown...

Genuine

bp6dt3.jpg

The Replication.also got the case in the pic.. very nice.. if your wondering about the different crowns.. they are both correct.. below the pic are statement from a genuine BP forum to answer this issue.. and also some info on the movement.. the rep is the 21.6 and the movement of the second hand is as the forum member explains it,.. so it is by nature, due to the size of the dial and Second hand .. a bit jerky..

dsc0032sp5.jpg

From a genuine BP forum:

Greg LeVine15-08-2007, 11:09 PM

There seems to be so much confusion (on my part at least) on the difference between the 5002 and 5004 movements on the BP. first could someone please explain the main differences and why one would prefer one movement over another. I understand most of it is personal but don't understand which is truly "better". Secondly, The fish crown issue! what is the deal with this? My crown has a fish or my crown doesn't have a fish. What does this mean and does it really matter. Thank you in advance, your assistance is greatly appreciated. Greg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

India Whiskey Charlie15-08-2007, 11:43 PM

And perhaps can give some insight. My first was an early 5002 with the fish crown purchased back in 2003 (I think!). Then, I got a 5004 last December. The 5002 movement is rated at 18k beats per hour while the 5004 movement has 21.6k beats per hour. This can help a watchmaker fine tune the 5004 a bit more for a bit more accuracy. Having said that, my experience is such that the accuracy of both is extremely similar even after both watches having been back to IWC for service and regulation. In fact, I have four 5000-based IWC's. Two 18k's and two 21.6k's and see no difference in accuracy between all four. There really is no "better" movement between the two.

Now, as to the crown difference, IWC changed the fish crown to the Probus Scafusia crown when they changed from the 18k to the 21.6k movement before releasing the 5004 models. At the same time, there was a revision made on the crown tube to prevent a damaged that occurred on the original 5002 fish crown. On some watches, the crown tube slid inside the case preventing the crown from screwing-in. When this happened, IWC replaced the fish crown with the Probus crown. As such, some 5002's with the Probus crown may very well be early 18k watches.

With my personal experience, I see no difference in the two movements. Now, had IWC gone to a 28.8k beats per hour, it may have been a different story.

There seems to be so much confusion (on my part at least) on the difference between the 5002 and 5004 movements on the BP. first could someone please explain the main differences and why one would prefer one movement over another. I understand most of it is personal but don't understand which is truly "better". Secondly, The fish crown issue! what is the deal with this? My crown has a fish or my crown doesn't have a fish. What does this mean and does it really matter. Thank you in advance, your assistance is greatly appreciated. Greg.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And YES !! It is a screw down !!!! and the threading is smooooth ... top shape !

bp5002034ja2.jpg

The Case Back..

Genuine .. Die Grosse Fliegeruhr... The Big Pilot

bp7ck2.jpg

Replication .. Good .., very good actually.. we'll see if they are individual serial numbers as others recieve the BP

dsc0055wj5.jpg

Rep Movement.. the experts can chime in as to what "Asian Movement this may be"

csc0057wg5.jpg

csc0059jg7.jpg

The Clasp

Replication .. very Well Done !!! .. nice positive snap on closing.. engraving is first rate.. OK it will not be "as" great as the genuine.. but you have to admit it is Well Done !!

dsc0067ml0.jpg

csc0047gh3.jpg

Genuine

bp8tj6.jpg

Replication

csc0062xi3.jpg

Genuine

bp9da4.jpg

The Rep

Strap .. I was suprised at how well this was made considering the past Pilot straps.. it is not what will stay on the rep.. I didn't put my HK's on since you want to see the replication in all it's Glory !! :)

dsc0063yy8.jpg

dsc0065fh4.jpg

And of course the Lume.. pretty Good.. of course we gauge everything to the Master.. Z .. but as far as a rep.. the shutter speed was not even a half a second as you can see by the second hand..

bp5002091qx7.jpg

dsc0099gk2.jpg

dsc0079vw9.jpg

In Summarizing the BP 5002:

After a very long wait I am not dissapointed.. even if this is V-1, for the price I am vey happy with this purchase.. Quality is there.. the replication IMO was well done.. of course it can and probably will be improvements.. other makers will step up to the plate I am sure.. but there is room and possibilities for this rep. ..

The weight is good.. a little off due to the movement of course.. but still with the small lug width it does not wear like a 46 mm watch and is well balanced on the wrist .. as is the genuine ..(I am assuming) reviews on genuine forums say it is not "top heavy" and I can see that in the rep.. unlike other watches .. where the thickness makes the rep wobble on your wrist .. this is not the case with the BP 5002 Replication..

I believe those who acquire this rep. will be very pleased..

In closing a few wrist shots: Thank you for viewing !! B)

bp5002081fj3.jpg

bp5002083bf4.jpg

I will be adding more pics.. :rolleyes:

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Additional Eye Candy ~

Crew Shot....

bp5002006gf0.jpg

bp5002012dn0.jpg

bp5002026ga2.jpg

bp5002039qb1.jpg

bp5002066kf5.jpg

dsc0083ca4.jpg

bp5002081rz9.jpg

See here for the full thread > BP 5002

**** since this review the makers have corrected the sunken DW.. ****

• Like 1

Lani,

Great review. That has been one of my favorite non-Rolex watches ever since the genuine came out.The genuine was always a little too expensive to justify for a watch that probably wasn't going to be in the daily wearer rotation much. The older reps never appealed to me as none of them seemed accurate. Either a non working power reserve, or other mistakes that were too apparent to me. This one really looks great and If the rep makers have fixed the low date wheel problem, I might just spring for this baby.I had over the years several genuine IWC's. Still have a vintage 14k Calatrava which is my real "Dress" watch. Had a fleiger Chronograph and sold it a few years back, another of my wish i had it back watches!!

Great photos and really nice review

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

GREAT REVEIW, I have 5004 working power reserve and love it but movement is bit noisey and blueish AR is showing wear now, have ownwed gen 5004 but didnt need booth and was getting bashed cos stands off wrist so much, never happend with rep? 

hope you do some more reveiws, it makes good reading, thanks

• 3 weeks later...