When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did you ever get lucky on ebay?

praetor

I mean, there's snipers everywhere, gen items here and there,

Tis one day before the auction ends, and with your wife you shall make amends,

Because on that day, the war of bids will lead to your joy and your dismay,

All that frenzy, thou shall not go with the crazies,

Victory at a cost, for that item you want the most.

Signed Praetor- the bored poet.

On topic:

I was ebaying the past few weeks, and only won 1 item because I'm cheap. It's a NOS rolex submariner insert for ~78 dollars. But I realized after the bid was over that this was the one with the flat 4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250604192461&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

But as for listings that ended, those people went nuts over this omega speedmaster cal 321. movement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290418876915&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT

As for the other items, These are the ones that you just know that its going to shoot up by $150-200 in 1 day. I quit ebaying, I'm too poor to ebay with these fanatics.

1) Nos Breitling SOSF dial: (est ~150), current $36 with one day left

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110513221517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

2) 2824-2 movement without date wheel: (he has 5 of them posted) (est ~$70) current ~$33 with 1 day left

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-conditions-ETA-2824-2-top-finitions-movement-25j_W0QQitemZ110513224787QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19bb19fc53

3)NOS modern Rolex oyster submariner bracelet (authenticity: high chance of being authentic). current: $20, est. ~$250- $400. Days Left: 5 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110516093685&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

4)Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore dial. Current ~$160 (est. $240-300)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-NOS-Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-dial-cadran_W0QQitemZ110513219595QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item19bb19e80b

5)Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dial. Current $230. (est ~$300)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Vacheron-Constantin-dial-cadran_W0QQitemZ110513221159QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item19bb19ee27

So, do you ever get lucky? not on EBAY!. oh, and definitely not on these items (cuz i just posted here muahahaha) =)

Edited by praetor
  • Like 1

a couple years ago i got lucky and won a really nice meters first 5513 vintage rolex for a song (i had several conversations with the seller and was able to get far more comfortable with the transaction than most -- his pictures weren't great). in the end it didn't really do it for me, so i sold it on TZ less than three months later for over $1k profit.

other than that, my experience has been pretty mixed. you win some, you lose some, but generally it's tough to get a really good bargain on ebay.

deltatahoe

I don't want to say anything and jynx the whole works, but I've got some crazy good deals on the 'Bay.

Now I have to stop buying over there... for sure the next deal will be a dud!

:ph34r:

ps: just after I complete this next purchase........

Most of the ongoing auctions items were sold before by the same seller, and he's pretty popular. By that, I mean that the previous (same item, same seller) bids were my estimate. And you know that the second time around, it's expected to go for more. The rolex bracelet however, has zero chance for selling less than $150 (I was about to bid that high). But I realized, it would go over my budget.

Besides, if I post ongoing auction, it would be more fair. And those items are highly coveted by AP, VC and Breitling fans on the forum so I thought I'd share. oh and that 2824 movement seems like a bargain.

Edited by praetor

The rolex bracelet however, has zero chance for selling less than $150 (I was about to bid that high). But I realized, it would go over my budget.

I'm sorry but this strikes me as "since I can't get a bargain here I'll just share and look good". I wonder if you had a chance to buy those for cheap if you would be so willing to share.

I'm sorry but this strikes me as "since I can't get a bargain here I'll just share and look good". I wonder if you had a chance to buy those for cheap if you would be so willing to share.

I'll be honest. There have been plenty of items I have picked up for projects (bits and pieces at a time) that I wanted to share with the community but was afraid of getting outbid. I have been lucky for the most part, but just starting out got burned on a couple low dollar pieces. I feel like I am bidding against RWG most of the time anyway (at least it is going to a good home).

Guys, before you bid on that Breitling Superocean dial that Praetor linked (I know some of you will) and think you can install it to your rep, be aware that it's for the 42mm older version. Won't work.

The truth? I quit ebaying. It's too damn stressful. As for my budget, I'm a premed with loans, so it's virtually zero (or negative?). I could buy one rep per two years at best? And If I had the chance to buy it for cheap (say a gen dial), I would try to find the "Buy it now" button (which never existed for items below market price). And for auctions, if it gets more than 50 dollars (or I think would go more than 50), I would give up (hence me "was not" bidding $150, go wayyy over budget). If it's less than $50, I would be like "no way it's going to stay there" because of a feature called "saved searches" or that "it's fake". I have this paranoid thought in the back of my mind when I'm bidding, say when I'm bidding $45 for a gen dial: "all RWG knows" or "that other guy bidding with me probably has a job so...". That's my problem: I can never get a bargain. Would you consider a $300 dollar part selling for $120 a bargain? Not me. I don't care for a bargain, I want the item, which I cannot get.

Ebaying will make me go crazy! Those items I posted were all the items on my watch list on ebay because I give up ebaying, even for that $23 SOSF dial with one day left. And thought it would be nice for others to know the items and make a point at the same time. Also, I don't need to look good around here either, why should I?

And for that NOS Rolex insert I won, I actually bid $78 when the previous guy was bidding $76. I did it for fun because I estimated it would go ~$100 (damn it). When I won that item, I was like "WTF I won? [censored], I don't even have a rolex rep." T_T I need a summer job in order to get a rolex.

Edited by praetor

Thanks BT! I was going to post that, but you beat me to it! If you see the word "AUTOMATIC" on SOSF dial is in white, I believe it's for 42mm SOSF.

Back to the original post. Over the years, I got some crazy deals for ebay! Some of them are just insane... BT knows... :) I really don't know how to put a word on it, but I've also spent a ton over there.

Any how, I currently use http://www.powersnipe.com/

It works great! With it, I can do other things while powersnipe bid for me right before the auction is over... works perfectly!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the missus a gen Tag on Ebay. The woman selling it said that she'd been given it as a present 10 years ago and had never worn it! She had the original receipt, (which she sent me with the watch), for

A week or so back, I spotted this Ernest Borel, and put in a snipe.

It was advertised as not going and in need of TLC.

Won it for $4.99 plus $5.70 postage!

DSC01753.jpg

It arrived today, and a few minutes on the bench saw a new plexi fitted, and it ticking away happily.

Its on my wrist now...looks to be dropping a few seconds, but I will get it onto the Vibrograf and sort it.

This is from the late 1950's- 1960's, model is "Sea Gem", measures 32mm without crown and 40mm lug/lug.

Dial is perfect, and case is 95%. With the new crystal and a 1/2 decent band now fitted, I'm guessing it will bring $120 -$150 at my market stall.

Or maybe it will be retired to the Offshore bank vaultrolleyes.gif

The one thing I will say about the 'bay, is that you need to work hard to get your results.

I do a quick search each night on what is new on my local ebay, and list anything with a possibility.

Then as it gets close to finish, I review the listing, and put a snipe on anything I'm still interested in.

Using a snipe, tends to take all the emotion away from buying a watch, and I find I just say to myself, "what is the most you want to have this owing you (including post costs)?"

Then I place the snipe...sometimes you even win them for less....my snipe on this was $24.30, to allow for the $5.70 post cost.(And have it owing me $30.00) And as I was the only bidder, it was knocked down at the opening price of $4.99!

Also by listing everything interesting, you soon develop a "feel" for the market, and what things are going for.

I do hate ebay and Pay Pal, however they are a bloody good resource for us watch buffs.

Offshore

Definitely some good bargains....but its getting harder and harder now.

I remember picking up a genuine Omega 1120 movement (the movement they put in seamasters) for $75 + shipping once. That was just unbelievable. They now go for $300 plus.

Also, picked up 2nd hand tags for mere $100+ on good days.

just depend on how hard u look.

I found some great old movements on ebay, but lately this source seems to be drying out.

Here my favorite finds:

Cortbert Cal. 492 in great condition (went straight into my 6152-1 4-Liner project:

MMLP-A2.jpg

Nice Rodina Art-Deco movement (which went into my Cali project:

CaliN-Display.jpg

Concord 8 day movement (never saw one small enough to fit in a wristwatch again):

2533-8dayD.jpg

• 2 weeks later...