When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did you ever get lucky on ebay?

praetor

• 4 weeks later...

i cant even get lucky in normal auctions.

i bought a bag on there 2 weeks ago and the guy told me it must have been lost in the post and because i didnt get insured post i lose out

wtf?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Seems the only way to get a good deal on the Bay these days is extreme patience. Especially with watch parts. Fewer 'people' actually running auctions, and many 'businesses' just posting items as BIN with inflated prices.

Looking for a gen DateJust clasp now, and all you can find are fakes, completely beat up, or priced so high it makes my head spin. Same with DateJust dials. BIN @ $500 for a regular stick dial. Are you kidding me?

Most of my great deals have not been in the watch area, but I thought I got a great deal on my TAG Classic 2000. Looked like it had never been worn, complete with box, papers and receipt for less than half what they were going for new at the time.

Ebay and watchbuying do not mix well for me. Got burned a few years ago buying an Explorer II. I got screwed out of a nice sum of money which Egay and Payfail wouldnt help.

After that i stuck to reps. I am totally turned off from the buying experience on ebay. I do not buy anything more than $10 there. If I need a cheap SD card or ipod cable I will go to ebay. If I need an expensive item I go elsewhere.

i have been stung more times than i have got a "bargain "

i used to sell jewellery one ebay but the amount of fraud that came my way with ebay and paypal reveres fees and was unreal i now refuse to use either of them

2 years ago I bought a Z series Rolex explorer I with box and paper for $2,000, sold it a year later for $3,500 = $1500 profit

Also a few months ago a got a men's Cartier Santos galbee XL the 32mm version for $2,000 Its currently in my rotation.

Also a men's Cartier Tank auto two tone for $2,000 as well (still have it)

I try to limit my eBay purchase/bid to $2,000

• 4 weeks later...

eBay should be boycotted. Only in a few rare occasions you get something out of it. Also, it's a DISASTER for sellers. Only the desperate would offer their items for sale there. The reasons are countless. Now they take a percentage from your shipping cost too! What a rip off.

What saddens me the most is their disgusting monopoly policy. Unless a decent competitor steps in, expect fees to go up to 50% sold price. It keeps getting worse every single day..

I try to support more genuine websites like bonanzas and ebid.net, despite the fact they're light years away from eBay..

• 2 weeks later...

Like many others good and bad. Over the years I have gotten good deals on parts - 4-5 Offshore dials for $750 or less (some new and others that were repairable) from Watchco and others, Panerai tritium dials and hands, made a deal with Mr. Turkish crowns and bought his entire strainless stock for a group buy, a few Angelus movements before people caught on for under $500, etc. That party is largely over though. I also met Kenji from Watchonpo on ebay with his first listing before developing an off ebay relationship which led to at least a half dozen honpo for me and other forum members, Also lots of other good stuff. But I was also taken for $3k on a too good to be true gen. Somehow I suspect it all evens out. But it definitely is a form of gambling. Sometimes I just can't resist. :bangin:

Like many others good and bad. Over the years I have gotten good deals on parts - 4-5 Offshore dials for $750 or less (some new and others that were repairable) from Watchco and others, Panerai tritium dials and hands, made a deal with Mr. Turkish crowns and bought his entire strainless stock for a group buy, a few Angelus movements before people caught on for under $500, etc. That party is largely over though. I also met Kenji from Watchonpo on ebay with his first listing before developing an off ebay relationship which led to at least a half dozen honpo for me and other forum members, Also lots of other good stuff. But I was also taken for $3k on a too good to be true gen. Somehow I suspect it all evens out. But it definitely is a form of gambling. Sometimes I just can't resist. :bangin:

a bad blue sub rolex just went for over $3000 seller had 1 feedback people are crazy paying that

Been looking at gen planet oceans.... It seem everyone wants close to 3k on a preowned, in my opinion that's way overpriced. Reading WUS gives me a headache, where is one to go?

If your still after brand new then Ernest Jones WILL give 25% discount on any OMEGA, making a £4,400 PO chronograph £3,300.