When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Super Avenger, Black Batten Dial, 2009 version

AllergyDoc

I purchased a white-dial Super Avenger when they were first released in 2008. Here's an old photo:

SAdial3.jpg

I eventually sold it because I felt it was top-heavy and when I wore it it was "on my mind". You should be able to wear a watch without having to constantly think about it, as you do when you wear a large watch that doesn't feel balanced. This is also why I sold my DeepSea.

Having heard such good things about the new V3, and about the rep Ocean Racer band, I thought I would give the model another shot.

Josh's site says it's a 2008 model with a 2009 "New Dial Design". I'm not sure what that means. I did NOT want the 2009 model as the dial was copied from the SA Blacksteel, which has the too-large "30" and "60" on the subdials, like this:

190010-91_sml1.jpg

Although a small thing, I knew it would eventually bug me. The Arabic dial is nice, but then you have to worry about getting correctly applied lume dots, which isn't a concern on the batten dial.

I ordered from Joshua on Good Friday and received the watch 7 days later.

I must say that the Ocean Racer band balances the watch head well, making it very comfortable on the wrist--no top-heaviness at all. I like it so much that I'll be picking one up for my Super Avenger. (Hopefully it's available in that size.) The band has to be cut to fit, but the clasp has nifty micro adjustment settings so you don't have to worry about locking in an exact size. It's listed as 48 x 18½ mm: BIG.

First, the best picture of the gen I could find this morning (lifted from submersible24g on another board):

4540813863_ae74eb15f2_o.jpg

The dial is beautiful and the AR superb:

4511926757_7fc1b6d95d_o.jpg

Faults I've read about are the hour markers are two-piece on the gen and one-piece on the rep and the font on the subdials is different on the rep. I don't see the font difference at all. I can see the hour markers, but really, only on a macro shot.

The dial with a little more light on it:

4512567386_6a43142d11_b.jpg

The steel hour markers and hands reflect the light and give the dial a little "bling".

Dial macros:

4511926263_0cf8365dc6_o.jpg

4511926105_0c7f842e5b_o.jpg

The deployment clasp had some play in it and it broke after 3 or 4 days. A replacement is on the way. One of the buttons on the side popped out, followed by the spring. One guy said he had to go through 2 bad ones to get a good one, so the deployment clasp is a weakness. (The gen clasp is about $250.)

4512566786_e0481a9b38_o.jpg

Here's the micro adjustment. Press the button and make about 1mm adjustments, like Rolex's Glide-Lock clasp on the DeepSea:

4512567736_3f7fcfc18e_o.jpg

Side view:

4512567682_20333741db_o.jpg

For size comparison, here it is next to a 47mm Marina Militare:

4511927083_0021849bf9_o.jpg

4511927285_4d80271428_o.jpg

Classic wristie:

4511925601_41c4227d7e_o.jpg

When the clasp broke, I ordered a leather band from Panatime. It feels better on the watch than the Ocean Racer rubber band.

4524465899_1e24d03f43_o.jpg

The buckle is fairly thick. The strap is 5 mm at the watch-head end and tapers to 4 mm. I think the gen calf straps taper more, but they also cost a lot more than $30. :) I bought the XL strap. Here's a link to Panatime Strap. (Type "repgeek" in the coupon box and get 10% off.)

4524465981_109b1e8155_o.jpg

Then, someone put their rep SS bracelet up for sale and I picked it up:

4527153614_1c7de2385b_o.jpg

It's, well, a rep bracelet. :) It adds weight and picks up smudges like crazy. Also, it makes the watch feel less stable, IMO, like my 2008 replica. I probably will be using the OR and leather straps the most.

This watch seems to be made well: the rotor is whisper quiet, it manually winds easily (so far), the crown screws in after several turns, and the chronos functioned fine the one time I tried them. The lume on the hands is slightly better-than-average rep lume.

It's pricey at $308 + shipping, but it's a solid, beautiful watch.

Here's a link on how to cut the rubber band: Sizing Instructions

Photos were taken with a Fuji Finepix F11, a 6 MP camera fitted with Fuji's great Super CCD sensor. Shot in aperture-priority mode at 3 MP, Color Chrome setting. Image editing done in Photoshop Elements 4.0: cropping and slight sharpening using the more refined sharpening command, the one that corrects for lens blur, etc. Levels not adjusted; they never need it with this camera, unlike my Nikon D80, where levels always need work.

Edited by AllergyDoc

Nice review Doc, fantastic pics. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I have the white dial with markers version that I like very much. The only problem I see with the dial Is the markers, It a small flaw thats hard to see. The rubber strap Is nice but the clasp Is a [censored]. My watch guy worked on It for about 20 min, said It should last for a while. I wont hold my breath. I suggest that people get the diver strap with the buckle. A rubber or leather strap Is going to make this behemoth a lot easier on the wrist. Thanks again for your review and awesome pics. :drinks: Mike

@AllergyDoc - Nice review. You got me sold on the baton marker. The pics, well that is one the best pics I have seen. The size is substantially larger than the marina <whew>. I have the white 2008 on my wrist now and a the first generation SA with blue dial from AD. I just placed an order for the same as what you have reviewed - 2009 SA with baton markers. Thank you again for the review.

Doc, you have to stop putting pictures of this all over the place. I am all set to pick up the white dial battons, and I keep seeing this one and the black is starting to grow on me! Maybe I go into an AD over the weekend to take a peek at both first...

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

cheers mike, have got to say the v3 also has a fantastic bracelet too its a lot thicker and very close to gen also, the previous pro 2 were slightly too thin and didnt feel quite right and were very much a tell when compared to gen.

I have the older bracelet..although not a bad bracelet..the new one is much thicker and close to gen specs. I tried to order just the bracelet and the dealers wont sell them seperately.:( I guess I'll have break down one day and get a new version.:) I have my eye on a yellow Seawolf atm..man I love that rep.. Enjoy your new SA...she's a beaut. :drinks: Mike

• 4 weeks later...