When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone have a Tokina 11-16mm 2.8?

redwatch

• 4 weeks later...

I got a chance to go to the Digital Photography Show & Convention in Toronto last Friday May 14th and one of the coolest parts of the show was we were allowed to test out any lenses they had on display. I got to try out the 11-16mm from Tokina and I must say, this lens is a definite must have! It was very, very awesome! Nicely built and good wide angle. Speed was excellent in low light with out a flash too! Definite thumbs up! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Adorama has them new for $599.00 with free shipping. The problem is, they can't keep them in stock! They are always on back order. I was speaking with the Canadian Tokina Rep and he told me they just shipped out 200 of them for the Nikon camera in Canada on May 14th. Every single one of them was already pre-sold!

This is a wonderful lens. Ultra sharp. I played around with a friend's and will be getting this over the Canon 10-22. It's so hard to find them in stock though. I have my email on every single site awaiting for that moment the arrive. Definitely will not hesitate to buy. These easily recoup their value on eBay.

I am interested in this lens as well, picture comparisons I've seen online are amazing!

Not cheap but seems to be good quality...

It's just annoying that it seems to be the same in GBP as it is in USD! What's that about?!?!! :angry::(

Yeah, I have seen that in various places around the world where their dollar is valued more than USD but they sell things for the same number amount or even higher. I guess it's shipping or import duties added on to the price? Either way, it's not really fair for you guys over seas to have to pay premium dollar amounts for things.

• 4 months later...

Well I finally broke down and bought myself a Tokina 11-16mm. Also got a beautiful Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8 zoom lens in the deal (bought them both used). Can't say enough about these two lenses! They are just amazing. I will post some pics in a few days when either the rain stops, or I get some protection filters on the lenses.

Tokina1.jpg

Tokina2.jpg

Tokina3.jpg

Tokina4.jpg

Damn you!! :angry::thumbsupsmileyanim:

They are pretty much a great combo - now all you need is something between them!

Don't Tokina do a 16-50mm f2.8?

They do, but it's not very well reviewed unfortunately. The fellow I purchased these two from also has a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC for sale, but I just couldn't pull it off. He did bring it along to try and entice me with it, and it's pretty nice. The Vibration Control works quite well, if not a little odd. Once you lock in the focus, the lens moves around to counter act the movement of your hands. You see the movement in the view finder and it is really trippy. Seems to work well though.

I've been kind of lusting after Nikon's 17-55mm f/2.8, but it's very, very expensive, and no VR too. :g: It's supposed to be an amazing piece of glass though. It would be nice to do a side by side comparison of the Tamron and Nikon just to see if it's really worth the extra $700 for the Nikon.

In the meantime, I have the Nikon 35mm DX f/1.8 for the middle, which is a great, and cheap lens! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I wish it was FX, decent (super)wide angle zooms for FX = $$$$ unfortunately (even in manual focus).

General rule with FX tends to be that everything decent tends to cost $$$$$. It's pretty amazing though, but I just can't justify the costs of the body and lenses for what I shoot. Maybe in a few years a used D3 will be moderately affordable :D