When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hidden Treasure? ....full Size 18kss Yachtmaster, Model 16623

Guest chronomat123

Guest chronomat123

Honestly, I can't find a single flaw (,endlinks, maybe?). Last year, Rolex began making the 16623, which is a full size 40mm 18k/ss Yachtmaster (up to this time, they only made 18k/ss in a girly midsize version.)

This thing is beautiful. Love that white dial with black markers.

I think this watch is a hidden gem among reps. Gets no attention whatsoever.

Any owners? Comments?

REP

117817-22278.jpg

117817-22279.jpg

GEN

117817-22280.jpg

Can't find a single flaw? Try harder... here's four quick, major flaws:

1. The YACHT MASTER font on the dial is completely different and has pale red color. Then look at the other dial markings (coronet, SWISSMADE & font). Completely different.

2. The datewheel / cyclops is placed too right on the dial (very typical flaw in most Rolly reps)

3. The last link of the bracelet that connects to the SEL has the typical problem: gold wrapping over the stainless steel (while it should be solid)

117820-22277.jpg

4. The winding crown is completely different.

Etc. etc. And it doesn't get any attention because veteran rep buyers know that the TT versions just don't cut it (except the new batch of TT Subs perhaps). They might look nice and fancy on the pictures but they ultimately disappoint.

Guest chronomat123

By-tor,

You might be right. Good eye. I noticed the SELs aren't perfect.

I fail to notice a difference in winding crowns, though. And as for dial printing, let me tell ya: I've owned over a dozen gen Rolexes, while also owning reps. Dial printing, especially tone of color, can vary significantly even among genuine Rolexes. Bezels, too. My GMT Master bezel has a totally different shade of red than the newer models.

Dials... the purpulish blue on some rep TT Submariners that so many on here decry as fake-- well, Rolex used to make a very purplish dial on Subs from the 90s. My pops has been wearing the same 16613 since the early 90s, and his is DAMN purple. In fact, he bought it because he loved the purplish blue hue-- it's not as though the watch faded to a purple over time: it was like that since new. In the mid 90s, they switched to a medium blue, then to a darker blue. It's never constant.

But you're right. The bracelet needs definite improvement, no doubt. I can overlook the red printing, as dials do indeed vary significantly, and I'm sure we could find a gen that had that tone of red.

Can't find a single flaw? Try harder... here's four quick, major flaws:

1. The YACHT MASTER font on the dial is completely different and has pale red color. Then look at the other dial markings (coronet, SWISSMADE & font). Completely different.

2. The datewheel / cyclops is placed too right on the dial (very typical flaw in most Rolly reps)

3. The last link of the bracelet that connects to the SEL has the typical problem: gold wrapping over the stainless steel (while it should be solid)

117823-22276.jpg

4. The winding crown is completely different.

Etc. etc. And it doesn't get any attention because veteran rep buyers know that the TT versions just don't cut it (except the new batch of TT Subs perhaps). They might look nice and fancy on the pictures but they ultimately disappoint.

Guest chronomat123

Damn, Jon.

You're totally right.

How did i not see that. [censored]. And I really wanted to get one. That's a giant flaw.

I guess, if they fixed that and the SELs, it's be great. I like how the TT YM doesn't tend to have rehaut and CG issues, unlike Subs.

Yeah... the red tone perhaps wouldn't be a big deal for some... but the YACHT MASTER font is different too. It looks absolutely nothing like the genuine. Neither do any of the other text on the dial. All gen Yachties use this particular font... and all older generation YM reps have it wrong.

Personally, I'm not anal about these things... I have bought many reps that are more inaccurate than this. I just point the flaws out. Unlike you I just don't think this is very good rep. Nice looking watch though. ;-)