When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Upgrading to DSLR = confusion

Smile?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Camera?

• Canon EOS 500D
    • Canon EOS 550D
    • Nikon D90

Hi guys,

Im sure this has been asked 100's of times, and trust me Ive done alot of review reading on the internet - but its just left me more confused than when I started.....

Basically using a Canon Ixus 70 P$S 7.1MP camera to take photos. I notice the pics are not sharp and sometimes theres alot of noise in low light conditions. I also want to be able to take great macro shots (but I understand that will come down to a good macro lense and not the camera).

So im looking to get a bit more serious - hence the upgrade to SLR. Question is.....which one? I want to say I have "short listed" a few, but the list is not short :whistling: These are my options (which I can get without breaking the bank balance).

1. Canon EOS 500 / 550D

2. Nikon D5000

3. Nikon D90

4. Pentax Kx

cameracompare.jpg

Has anyone had experiences with any of these cameras? The D90 would seem the obvious choice given its slightly more than a entry level SLR.....but the reviews arent great on it.

Are there any other cameras I should consider?

Any help appreciated. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

OS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chief, well I use the camera mainly for taking pics of my watches. Also general: social gatherings, holidays (scenic) etc......is that what you mean? I just want clearer, crisper, sharper watch photos.....plus im thinking of taking a photography course!

OK, well, if you're not doing sports shooting, then the Canon is worth considering. In general, I've found that on the lower end SLRs the Nikons are better for focusing on moving objects. Or, to put it another way, the Canons are terrible. That said, I do have a low end Canon SLR and get by with it shooting kids sports. The real thing to consider is the lens system. I much prefer the Canon lenses. They're generally faster, and there are more options. So perhaps this should be top priority for you. The lenses you'll keep forever. The camera body itself is replaceable... and you probably will replace it down the line. So look at it from the standpoint of buying a nice collection of lenses, and then decide which system fits you best.

I brought camera stuff to work today because a coworker is also looking at those same cameras, well also the 50D.

Personally if you can handle the size of the T2i (550D) it is a great camera. I told the co-worker that the 50D is decent but the 60D should be coming out and would be the one to get if he wanted something bigger. I don't like how the T2i feels, its a little small. But I feel it is an amazing camera. As far as Nikon vs Canon vs Pentax vs other (lol) I really feel if you stick with the major ones (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma) you are going to be ok and finding lenses shouldn't be a problem. Most of the D-SLR cameras will have some sort of battery pack which is good and bad. You can take lots of photographs with them but when you are traveling this means you need a charger to carry around and forget about slapping in some double A's unless you get an external grip with it that allows you to. Most packs are easily found online and should be reasonably priced. I always have extras and carry them around lol. So get one that fits you. I would check out the local camera store try them all out. use the menus. Ask about accessories like a battery grip or an extra battery back. Then ask the sales person if they can show you how to change the white balance on a specific camera. Then try to use the menu yourself to see what ones are easiest to use.

I went with canon because of a few reasons. First was I had canon lenses already, this was probably the biggest reason for the decision. Second was I knew others with canon products and could borrow things like lenses before buying.

if you were thinking of taking some macro shots like really close up of the watches you will also want to pick up either a reversing ring or extension tubes. I have the kenko set.

I love taking photos but I don't get to do it nearly as much as I used to. I like www.dpreview.com and photography-on-the.net/forum/ The second link is really canon focused or so it seems to me lol. Both are great for finding information out and reading reviews of the different ones before getting one.

you can take bad photographs even with a nice D-SLR also, lol. another bad one probably not safe for work or little kids.

OK, well, if you're not doing sports shooting, then the Canon is worth considering. In general, I've found that on the lower end SLRs the Nikons are better for focusing on moving objects. Or, to put it another way, the Canons are terrible. That said, I do have a low end Canon SLR and get by with it shooting kids sports. The real thing to consider is the lens system. I much prefer the Canon lenses. They're generally faster, and there are more options. So perhaps this should be top priority for you. The lenses you'll keep forever. The camera body itself is replaceable... and you probably will replace it down the line. So look at it from the standpoint of buying a nice collection of lenses, and then decide which system fits you best.

If I do any sport shooting its generally tennis.....Me and my brother play often and we go to Wimbledon every year! I spoke to a retail sales advisor and he said the same thing i.e. canons are more flexible in terms of lenses and he recommended the EOS450 to me. But given I can get a D90 (which is meant to be slightly more advanced) at the same price as the canons, would you consider that? Cheers Chief :victory:

Hi JC! Thats prob not the best time for a bllurry photo. :bangin: Thanks for the advice. Size / feel / battery packs are probably not a deal breaker for me at the moment......As I am not planning to do any serious travelling in the near future (but its good food for thought) :) I am definitely considering Canon or Nikons.....Have read decent reviews of the Pentax K-x and K7 - but the K-x is seen as more of a "play" SLR and is not as solid as the other brands.

Given the choices I have in the thread what would you consider? Thank you

If I do any sport shooting its generally tennis.....Me and my brother play often and we go to Wimbledon every year! I spoke to a retail sales advisor and he said the same thing i.e. canons are more flexible in terms of lenses and he recommended the EOS450 to me. But given I can get a D90 (which is meant to be slightly more advanced) at the same price as the canons, would you consider that? Cheers Chief :victory:

For me, it's all about lenses. And I just prefer the Canon line. You'll get in to religious war territory asking too many questions about Canon vs. Nikon though... My current Canon body leaves a lot to be desired, but my lenses are top notch. And I've got the 7D on my radar, which does everything I want in a body and then some. One of these days!

Hope you get that 7D my friend! Wish I knew what i wanted in a body too. :whistling: Well im a peaceful kinda guy, so war is not what I want :thumbsupsmileyanim: Im leaning towards the 500D anyway - seems best value for money in the line up......not sure whether its worth paying the extra £160 for an added 3MP and 6400 ISO rating the 550D has?

That's what happens after a day of shooting photos lol and leaving the extra battery pack in the car lol. Should have checked it before leaving the car but that's life lol.

the 3 megapixel difference isn't going to be noticeable in everyday photographs so I wouldn't really use that as a deciding factor.

I would probably still go with the T2i, but if you aren't going to really use the video part of the camera the T1i and put the money saved into a flash or nice lens (depending on what you are going to shoot lol)

Hope you get that 7D my friend! Wish I knew what i wanted in a body too. :whistling: Well im a peaceful kinda guy, so war is not what I want :thumbsupsmileyanim: Im leaning towards the 500D anyway - seems best value for money in the line up......not sure whether its worth paying the extra £160 for an added 3MP and 6400 ISO rating the 550D has?

I think I'd go with the 550D. It has the same (or darn close to the same) sensor as the 7D, so I suspect the low light noise will be better than the 500D (though don't quote me on that). Don't worry about ISO ratings too much. You're probably going to find that ISO 1600 and higher is painful anyhow.

EDIT: I stand corrected: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/page14.asp

The 550D is slightly noisier than the 500D at high ISO. That might be enough for you to make the final decision. :)

Shot professionally for years when I was a younger man. Also ran a camera store. Could shoot whatever I wanted to for free.

For slr's I still shoot nothing but Nikon. Superior optics. If you can afford the D90, go for it, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Also, do not get drawn in to the megapixel wars. It's common to find higher quality images in cameras with lower megapixels. In addition to lens quality, the sensor makes a huge difference.

OSRep,

Not trying to put you off purchasing a DSLR camera but just wanted to offer an alternative regarding the camera you already have. I shoot with a Canon SD1000 P&S 7.1mp (very similar to yours) and have found that just really getting to know the camera and using the correct settings can produce very very sharp and beautiful results even in macro shots. If you need any feedback/advice/suggestions regarding some settings let me know, I'd be happy share...

here are a few shots i have taken with said camera:

AP ROO

IMG_2553APS.jpg

IMG_2568APS.jpg

Breitling AS

IMG_2356PS.jpg

IMG_2416PS.jpg

PAM 249

IMG_2511APS.jpg

IMG_2522APS.jpg

OSRep,

Not trying to put you off purchasing a DSLR camera but just wanted to offer an alternative regarding the camera you already have. I shoot with a Canon SD1000 P&S 7.1mp (very similar to yours) and have found that just really getting to know the camera and using the correct settings can produce very very sharp and beautiful results even in macro shots. If you need any feedback/advice/suggestions regarding some settings let me know, I'd be happy share...

Mate you are absolutely correct, those shots are some of the best I have seen on this forum!!!!

Can you please share your setup and settings?

I would love to get those sort of shots from my Canon (my camera is similar to yours).

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post your technique :)

:victory:

EDIT: I stand corrected: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos550d/page14.asp

The 550D is slightly noisier than the 500D at high ISO. That might be enough for you to make the final decision. :)

Thanks for that Chief :thumbsupsmileyanim: I think I will go and play with a few canons and hopefully some "educated instinct" will help me make my decision.....

For slr's I still shoot nothing but Nikon. Superior optics. If you can afford the D90, go for it, I promise you won't be disappointed.

In addition to lens quality, the sensor makes a huge difference.

Hey tom! Thanks for chipping in buddy. Hmmmmm you see, thats what Chief was talking about, the "Canon Vs Nikon war", some people prefer Canons and some Nikons - and I find it similar when reading the reviews! Theres nothing that JUMPS out at you..... :bangin: I guess it comes down to budget and personal choice at the end of the day?.....

Mate you are absolutely correct, those shots are some of the best I have seen on this forum!!!!

I would love to get those sort of shots from my Canon (my camera is similar to yours).

Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post your technique :)

:victory:

@ G.Curcio........I agree with what t200 says! Those are very beautiful photos. I would be interested in learning how to produce sharp, crisp images like those using my current camera. Im assuming you have a "light box / tent / tripod" etc? (I need to upgrade my camera anyway as I want to get a bit more serious about photography.........).

Thanks buddy.

Settings: Manual Mode, ISO 80, Auto White Balance, Resolution on Superfine, Size 1600x1200 (I down size them to 1024x786 after they are on my computer)

Setup: A watch, a tripod, lots of light (I only use natural light i.e. daylight/the sun), and finally "The Secret" ... practice, practice & more practice.

Hey OSREP, i have a D90, started with a D50, then D80 and now D90. (You can tell i'm a Nikon guy but i was on Canon for film)

Not sure where you read the reviews, but i normally read the reviews from Ken rockwell.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

He rates the D90 to be almost on par with the D300 for like almost half the price!

I have to agree with Chief that lens variety is the strength of Canon, it has always and will always be, as well as good solid glass. But if you are looking for a simpler interface, more ergonomic, user-friendly design, i say the D90 fits the bill. I suggest going into a camera shop and having a go at both cameras to see which one you take to naturally, which has a better built and weight. Nikon has its range of decent lenses as well, if you're into marco, you could go with a 85mm or a 105mm. With a tripod and good lighting, you can get away with getting a f2.8 or even an f4. But if you're going handheld or low light then i suggest something faster.

Great photos from the PnS! Tack sharp i believe they call it. Try with your current camera first, lowest possible ISO, finest quality (Jpeg fine), highest resolution (pixel) and use a good tripod (not those little mini shaky ones) and most importantly - timer. You can achieve that kind of quality with some practice as well. Attach a wireless or wired remote if you find pressing the shutter button will upset your focus. If handheld, use a timer as well but hold your breath. That has helped me achieve many a sharp photo so far.

With your range of uses, i recommend you get a D90 + 11-16mm Tamron, 17-50 Tamron F2.8 (nikon mount) 70-200mm VR Nikon and 85mm Nikon for macro. If budget is not an issue (since you catch Wimbledon every year...) Then go for all Nikon, 10-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm and 85mm f 1.4

All the prices are readily available on amazon or adorama.

Hope i helped!

Gerald

+1 on the D90. Started with a D40 which is an exceptional beginner D-SLR if you can find one used. They are dirt cheap and it gives you more money to play with on buying a great lens or two. I upgraded to the D90 to have more flexibility on choosing lenses because it has an internal focusing motor, where as the D40 does not. You have to use AF-S lenses with the D40 or manual focus the other lenses. My personal opinion, pick up a used or refurbished D40, a Nikon 18-200mm DX lens and a decent macro like the Nikon 85mm or the Tamron 90mm.

If you can afford it, then go for the D90, but I haven't heard many good things about the 18-105 lens that comes with it as a kit. I would skip that lens if I were you.

Good luck with your decision! Bottom line, like G. Curcio said above, it's mostly practice, practice, practice!!!

If you check out this web site: Daily Dose of Imagery the photographer there carries a Panasonic GF-1 with him everywhere (or sometimes his Canon 5D) and gets some outstanding photos.

Settings: Manual Mode, ISO 80, Auto White Balance, Resolution on Superfine, Size 1600x1200 (I down size them to 1024x786 after they are on my computer)

Setup: A watch, a tripod, lots of light (I only use natural light i.e. daylight/the sun), and finally "The Secret" ... practice, practice & more practice.

Hey G! Thanks for that :thumbsupsmileyanim: , you make it sound easy. Do you use a light tent / box? I need to pick up a tripod!

Not sure where you read the reviews, but i normally read the reviews from Ken rockwell.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

He rates the D90 to be almost on par with the D300 for like almost half the price!

I have to agree with Chief that lens variety is the strength of Canon, it has always and will always be, as well as good solid glass. But if you are looking for a simpler interface, more ergonomic, user-friendly design, i say the D90 fits the bill. I suggest going into a camera shop and having a go at both cameras to see which one you take to naturally, which has a better built and weight. Nikon has its range of decent lenses as well, if you're into marco, you could go with a 85mm or a 105mm. With a tripod and good lighting, you can get away with getting a f2.8 or even an f4. But if you're going handheld or low light then i suggest something faster.

Great photos from the PnS! Tack sharp i believe they call it. Try with your current camera first, lowest possible ISO, finest quality (Jpeg fine), highest resolution (pixel) and use a good tripod (not those little mini shaky ones) and most importantly - timer. You can achieve that kind of quality with some practice as well. Attach a wireless or wired remote if you find pressing the shutter button will upset your focus. If handheld, use a timer as well but hold your breath. That has helped me achieve many a sharp photo so far.

With your range of uses, i recommend you get a D90 + 11-16mm Tamron, 17-50 Tamron F2.8 (nikon mount) 70-200mm VR Nikon and 85mm Nikon for macro. If budget is not an issue (since you catch Wimbledon every year...) Then go for all Nikon, 10-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm and 85mm f 1.4

All the prices are readily available on amazon or adorama.

Hope i helped!

Gerald

Hi Gerald. Thank you so much for a very concise response. I went into a store over the weekend to have a look at a few - the sales guy was TOTALLY pro Canon. He asked me what sort of shooting I want to do, I told him mainly watches (and other general - landscapes / holidays / family do's etc).....he said Canon. He even told me I dont need to go for the 500D, that I should consider the 450 and 1000D as well. I think he gave me some wrong information as he said the 450D uses the Digic4 processor (as does the 500/550D), but it doesnt, it has a DigicIII.

I havnt disregarded Nikon yet! The D90 looks like a great camera. Funny you should say hold your breath when taking a hand held shot - I notice I do that on instinct ;)

I have a D70 and D90........and it rocks!

Do you use them to take the photos of those beautiful women in your signature? :wub:

+1 on the D90. Started with a D40 which is an exceptional beginner D-SLR if you can find one used. They are dirt cheap and it gives you more money to play with on buying a great lens or two. I upgraded to the D90 to have more flexibility on choosing lenses because it has an internal focusing motor, where as the D40 does not. You have to use AF-S lenses with the D40 or manual focus the other lenses. My personal opinion, pick up a used or refurbished D40, a Nikon 18-200mm DX lens and a decent macro like the Nikon 85mm or the Tamron 90mm.

If you can afford it, then go for the D90, but I haven't heard many good things about the 18-105 lens that comes with it as a kit. I would skip that lens if I were you.

Good luck with your decision! Bottom line, like G. Curcio said above, it's mostly practice, practice, practice!!!

If you check out this web site: Daily Dose of Imagery the photographer there carries a Panasonic GF-1 with him everywhere (or sometimes his Canon 5D) and gets some outstanding photos.

Thanks for throwing me another combination buddy, options are good. The thing is, I havnt seen many second hand cameras / retailers around London. :pardon: The only place ive looked is "the Bay".

I guess the bottom line is what ever your pocket book will allow. I know they have craiglist.org in London. May have a go there and see if you can find something used for sale. Just be careful of scammers :D

If you can afford it, I would go new or at least refurbished on the D90 - or like I said, try and find a D40 used.

Make sure you post some pics once you have settled in on a camera :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hi Gerald. Thank you so much for a very concise response. I went into a store over the weekend to have a look at a few - the sales guy was TOTALLY pro Canon. He asked me what sort of shooting I want to do, I told him mainly watches (and other general - landscapes / holidays / family do's etc).....he said Canon. He even told me I dont need to go for the 500D, that I should consider the 450 and 1000D as well. I think he gave me some wrong information as he said the 450D uses the Digic4 processor (as does the 500/550D), but it doesnt, it has a DigicIII.

I havnt disregarded Nikon yet! The D90 looks like a great camera. Funny you should say hold your breath when taking a hand held shot - I notice I do that on instinct ;)

Thanks for throwing me another combination buddy, options are good. The thing is, I havnt seen many second hand cameras / retailers around London. :pardon: The only place ive looked is "the Bay".

Camera shops will always try and clear their old stock when given the chance. I would forget the 450D or 1000D and just go either for the 500/550 or D90. Just to mix it up a bit, since macro photography may be 1 of your main use.. you can consider a 4/3 Panasonic GF1 or an Olympus. I have the GF1 as well, images are sharp and colours beautiful. Lenses are pricey for this newer standard however....

If you ever stop by Singapore or Hongkong on transit or for a short getaway... pick up your camera and even a bloody big screen TV whilst you're here. Prices here are the lowest i know, brand new or used. If you're in the market for a used D90 or Canon, take a look at www.clubsnap.com, there's a nice marketplace forum there and 2-3 month old camera eq going for solid prices. Know what? I'm headed to London end of June, if you can wait till then, i can bring it up to you, all for the price of a smile and an offer of friendship.

Cheers

Guest ThePhilosopher

I'm preferential to the D90 or 50D (for Canon) both are great cameras. I'd buy secondhand (from a reputable dealer) and forget the kit lenses. I shot Olympus for my DSLR, but I wouldn't recommend it as the upgrade path is limited. I love my D3 ;).