When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Upgrading to DSLR = confusion

Smile?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Camera?

• Canon EOS 500D
    • Canon EOS 550D
    • Nikon D90

I guess the bottom line is what ever your pocket book will allow. I know they have craiglist.org in London. May have a go there and see if you can find something used for sale. Just be careful of scammers :D

If you can afford it, I would go new or at least refurbished on the D90 - or like I said, try and find a D40 used.

Make sure you post some pics once you have settled in on a camera :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have been looking at a few retailers today and playing with the cameras. The D90 is a big and heavy camera in comparison to the 500/550. But then again its slightly more advanced and has a more solid body. I do like the D90 - so I am searching for the best prices! :)

Camera shops will always try and clear their old stock when given the chance. I would forget the 450D or 1000D and just go either for the 500/550 or D90. Just to mix it up a bit, since macro photography may be 1 of your main use.. you can consider a 4/3 Panasonic GF1 or an Olympus. I have the GF1 as well, images are sharp and colours beautiful. Lenses are pricey for this newer standard however....

If you ever stop by Singapore or Hongkong on transit or for a short getaway... pick up your camera and even a bloody big screen TV whilst you're here. Prices here are the lowest i know, brand new or used. If you're in the market for a used D90 or Canon, take a look at www.clubsnap.com, there's a nice marketplace forum there and 2-3 month old camera eq going for solid prices. Know what? I'm headed to London end of June, if you can wait till then, i can bring it up to you, all for the price of a smile and an offer of friendship.

Cheers

Hey G! Good to hear from you again. 450/1000 have been forgotten. Im to'ing and fro'ing between the EOS500's and the D90....its about getting the right deal now. I dont think I will be passing through Singapore or HK any time soon unfortunately :( Is that where you are located? Ive had a look at clubsnap too (thank you) and saw a few D90's in the $1,000 brackets (same as youd pay for a new one here)......

Prices of the Panasonic GF series are on par with the EOS 500/550D's here (so id rather get the latter)....:)

There are a few places that sell the D90 body for around £570 (but then I dont know what lense to get with it? They offer a Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro (Nikon AF) for an extra £119......its a zoom lense with macro capabilities?......Aaaw man, thats very kind of you, but what do you mean by "I can bring it up to you"? Would you be able to source one at a good price and bring it with you? Is that what you meant? :D

I'm preferential to the D90 or 50D (for Canon) both are great cameras. I'd buy secondhand (from a reputable dealer) and forget the kit lenses. I shot Olympus for my DSLR, but I wouldn't recommend it as the upgrade path is limited. I love my D3 ;).

I think the D90 is the majority joice here now.......I appreciate your input given Ive seen some of your brilliant work too :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine refurbished from Adorama.com for $679.00 with 90 day warranty. Upon checking, it looks as though they are currently sold out. They only have the D90 body brand new for $846.95 at the moment. Amazon.com currently has a new one for $823.02 US.

Hey OS, the prices in clubsnap marketplace are all in SGD (Singapore Dollar), So $1k SGD is roughly GBP503 or USD723. Just taking a browse, i've found this D90 set (near mint) going for 1k (neg). http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701215

Btw, i am in Singapore. So yeh, i meant that i can bring it up to London (Up since i'm on the equator... :p ) but you'd have to wait till end June cos that's when my trip is. For lenses, see my previous reply on possible combinations with the D90. It really depends on your budget but my current setup is a Tokina 11-16mm for UWA (Ultra wide), Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (tack sharp), Nikon 50mm f1.4, Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 and I'm looking for a Nikon 85mm f1.4 for macro shots.. Shoot me a PM if you need my help buying the set, bringing to you etc. But i must let you know that Nikon body warranty is valid only in the country of purchase, the lenses have worldwide.

As an alternative, a very decent camera at great value is the older D80. Very similar build to the D90, lacking the fps, video, live capture, AF points and MP...

Guest ThePhilosopher

For macro work the 85mm f/1.4 isn't going to do really well - it's minimum focusing distance is about 1m with a magnification of 1:8.8; your 70-200mm has a better magnification ratio then the 85mm does. Get a dedicated macro lens if you want to shoot macro.

For macro work the 85mm f/1.4 isn't going to do really well - it's minimum focusing distance is about 1m with a magnification of 1:8.8; your 70-200mm has a better magnification ratio then the 85mm does. Get a dedicated macro lens if you want to shoot macro.

Ahh... i use my 85mm for insects and flora and fauna... You need a fast lens for that :)

Guest ThePhilosopher

You need DOF to shoot macro - shooting wide open at minimum focusing distance with the 85mm yields .24 inches of DOF in an image that is seeing approximately 18 inches across a scene. The closer to an object you get the smaller aperture you need to yield the same amount of the subject in focus (greater DOF). That's why a lot of macros are shot with dedicated lighting setups, higher ISOs, and/or focus stacking - the need for a small aperture to create a larger DOF requires more light than is typically available with the aperture-shutter speed combo alone.

You need DOF to shoot macro - shooting wide open at minimum focusing distance with the 85mm yields .24 inches of DOF in an image that is seeing approximately 18 inches across a scene. The closer to an object you get the smaller aperture you need to yield the same amount of the subject in focus (greater DOF). That's why a lot of macros are shot with dedicated lighting setups, higher ISOs, and/or focus stacking - the need for a small aperture to create a larger DOF requires more light than is typically available with the aperture-shutter speed combo alone.

SO what do you use for shooting watches?

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro stopped down to around f/16 usually and lighting.

That is a very good lens! Prob wun do as well outdoors compared to my 85 f1.4 but certainly good piece of glass. I shall start building up a light tent in my room...

Hey OS, the prices in clubsnap marketplace are all in SGD (Singapore Dollar), So $1k SGD is roughly GBP503 or USD723. Just taking a browse, i've found this D90 set (near mint) going for 1k (neg). http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701215

Btw, i am in Singapore. So yeh, i meant that i can bring it up to London (Up since i'm on the equator... :p ) but you'd have to wait till end June cos that's when my trip is. For lenses, see my previous reply on possible combinations with the D90. It really depends on your budget but my current setup is a Tokina 11-16mm for UWA (Ultra wide), Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (tack sharp), Nikon 50mm f1.4, Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 and I'm looking for a Nikon 85mm f1.4 for macro shots.. Shoot me a PM if you need my help buying the set, bringing to you etc. But i must let you know that Nikon body warranty is valid only in the country of purchase, the lenses have worldwide.

As an alternative, a very decent camera at great value is the older D80. Very similar build to the D90, lacking the fps, video, live capture, AF points and MP...

Hey G! I must thank you for your offer of bringing a D90 down to me :thumbsupsmileyanim: youre very kind (and

I have a Canon 50D and I really like it.

Definitely an action packed camera! I played around with it, but it didnt feel as nice in the hands vs the D90 or 500 / 550D......(but again this whole camera thing comes down to personal preference I guess).

Ok guys....Chief, G, jchurch, red, philosopher..........Im at the end of my dilemma......I can get the following camera combos at the following prices (brand new, full warranties etc etc):

Canon EOS500D:

18-55mm

High Street:

OS - I would get the D90, but only because I am biased towards them :D How much of a price difference is there if you buy the D90 body only?

A quote from Kenrockwell.com:

The plastic-mount 18-105mm VR is a decent enough general-purpose lens for people who are in the price range of the D90 with which it is kitted, but for $400 ($300 in a kit with the D90), I'd rather buy something else.

The photos are nice and sharp most of the time, but if you're looking closely, the 18-105mm is Nikon's fuzziest lens in the corners at 18mm. Even the $100 18-55mm is better.

For $400, you could buy either of the excellent 18-55mm kit lenses which are sharper at 18mm (VR or non-VR, your choice), and with the money left over, buy the professional 50mm f/1.4 AF-D or 50mm f/1.8 AF-D for use in low light, all for the same price or less than the 18-105mm.

For not much more, I could get the superior metal-mount 16-85mm VR or 18-200mm VR instead, either of which is also superior to the 18-105mm.

Hey Red and G! Thank you for your swift replies, appreciate it! Problem is, the place where I can get these discounts wont sell the D90 body only (and they dont offer different packages) - just the D90 + 18 - 105 + spare battery + remote.......

What if I buy the package and sell the lense? Could get

That's a possibility. The lens is not that popular, but for the right price, you might be able to sell it off. Its not a bad price for the package. Especially for a new one. Make sure it is a UK D90 to ensure you get the full warranty. Don't buy a grey-market one or one designated for another country. You will get zero warranty and it will defeat the purpose of buying a new one :D

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Awesome! Welcome to the club! It's a dangerous one! Almost as addictive as rep collecting ;)

GREAT - another expensive hobby! :bangin: Why cant I just collect stamps........ :whistling: