When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Simple, crude, but somehow also very beautiful...

I have had this in my parts bin for a while... And thought I would snap some pics of it. The workhorse Rolex movement... Not meant to be flashy, or fancy as it is hidden behind a steel cover... But it has a certain beauty and charm of it's own...

It does it's job and it does it fairly well smile.gif

I knew this would be special knowing you posted it Ubi! Ok, im still learning but what calibre movement is this? :) Its defintiely not crude.....simple maybe and looks like a workhorse :) Any plans for it? You have a cool parts "bin"........

Ok....yes, the movement is beautiful, but I have to ask.......how are you getting such great looking shots? The color tone is excellent. I have always marveled at how nicely lit your shots are. Is it just daylight or are you using special lighting of any kind?

Ok....yes, the movement is beautiful, but I have to ask.......how are you getting such great looking shots? The color tone is excellent. I have always marveled at how nicely lit your shots are. Is it just daylight or are you using special lighting of any kind?

+ 1. I love that "blurry / clear" effect you get as well....

I have had this in my parts bin for a while... And thought I would snap some pics of it. The workhorse Rolex movement... Not meant to be flashy, or fancy as it is hidden behind a steel cover... But it has a certain beauty and charm of it's own...

It does it's job and it does it fairly well :)

Love the granite counter top - has always been your trademark - and great photos as usual :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks, gang smile.gif

Well, there's no question that Rolex builds a solid, robust mech. movement, but the overall quality is nowhere near the same league as many of the prestigious watch houses that pour hours worth of hand finishing into their calibers. Rather, what finishing there is on the Rolex bridges and plates is more out of function rather than form; i.e. the perlage is there for detaining dust and debris. However, if one were to disassemble the movement one would discover that the finishing is only on the exposed surface areas only; the finishing stops once a plate overlaps. Despite these details, I think the simplicity of the movement is what makes it beautiful. It's not overly complicated with clear, concise and logical design. Just from handling it, I find that it's easier to work with than even an ETA.

As for the pics; I think it's mostly the camera wink.gif The lighting is usually natural light, and I use a 50mm macro lens on my EOS. I wish I could take some of the credit laugh.gif The lens is actually quite versatile; here's a pic of my daughter that I took just earlier today using the same lens.

I wubs it.

Wow, you have Rolex movements in your parts bin - I have crappy reps - not the good reps that can be found through this site - but crappy - from the sell one watch and go out of business sites...

Sorry, I had to laugh! That was pretty funny :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ubi...not sure where crude comes into play, that's Hot, IMO

• 1 month later...