When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nikon D90 vs Sony A300.....Made the switch to Nikon but questions?

Panther917

I recently picked up a D90 and a couple of lenses, flash, etc.....b/c it was a good deal and I really love photography but have never made the plunge and just go all in. I am really wanting to learn how to shoot properly and hope to try to take some classes and pick up a couple of books that will help me learn how to become a decent photographer. It seems like a natural fit with my love of watches so going to give it a go.

I purchased a Sony A300 about 3 months ago and really like it a lot. Besides the kit lens, I picked up a Minolta 50mm 1.8 lens that was very sharp and was able to get some very good shots almost efforlessly. I was very satisfied with it and loved the Live view feature but it uses a CF card which I just dont like b/c the SD cards are just so much easier for me to use to transfer images into my desktop/laptop/Ipad, etc....vs having to use the card reader via the USB for everything.

After hearing so many good things about the Nikon brand and lenses, I decided not to put any more money into the Sony/Minolta line and make the transition to Nikon where there are so many more people who are advocates of that brand for not only advice/support/lessons, but for the availablity of lenses, accessories, software,etc....just a more "industry standard" type of brand.

I picked up a D90 with the following:

50mm 1.8

18-55 VR 3:5 -5.6 VR

55-200 VR 4.0 - 5.6 VR

Sigma 10-20 4.0-5.6 EX DC HSM

SB600 flash

Apature remote w/time for time/lapse ( intervalometer?)

I've got about $1300 in everything

I need to find a decent tripod as mine is horrible and a macro lens for watches.

Couple of comments that I would appreciate any insight:

1) I have gotten some great shots with the Sigma wide angle and the ultra wide angle is a must for me and the style of photography I want to explore outdoors but I'm not really getting the best shots indoors compared to my Sony.

2) I do have "shaky hands" and it seems like everything that I take hand held with the D90 is not as sharp as the Sony, I thought that the VR of the 18-55 and 55-200 would be enough and it has helped but still need a tripod for best results whereas the sony, I can get acceptable results handheld.

3) Looking at my lenses setup, what would you guys recommend either adding, selling, etc...to be able to have:

- A good wide angle option, wider than 18mm but not crazy fisheye wide but still able to get creative shots in a wider than normal range

- A good mid-range zoom that is image stabilized to help with my shaky hands

- A good watch lens, whether that is the mid-range zoom or a dedicated macro lens? I dont really understand the difference

- A decent but not awesome long range zoom (least important but that could be to my misunderstanding of what they are used for)

4) Couple of tripod options: I would like to have one tabetop/travel tripod and one decent full sized tripod: I'm considering these just for the price/performance ratio:

tabletop tripod - Trek-Tech

full sized tripod - sunpak 6600pg

5) Lighting options - Of course, the best option is to shoot outside, but not always possible, so I just have a couple of Home Depot work lights with 26W daylight CFLs that I have been using, worked great with the sony but the flash keeps wanting to "pop up" on the D90, do I need more light on these lenses? I can use up to 150w bulbs in the socket so was thinking about a couple of these bulbs 85w Eiko

6) Finally, all said, would I be better off sticking with the Sony brand? I could switch to the newer SD card based bodies that have the full time live view and image stabilization built in and get some better glass. I just cant imaging that would be a better option than the Nikon D90 setup and am sure it is my inexperience with the D90 and lack of skills but that is of course, an option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insight....

-Murph

Finally, here is a first attempt at a couple of "artsy-ish" type shots which is what I really want to get into eventually.....I welcome any critique of techniques or how to improve them. I didnt spend a whole lot of time on them and with very basic picasa editing

DSC_0061-1.JPG

DSC_0061-1.JPG

Guest ThePhilosopher

2) I do have "shaky hands" and it seems like everything that I take hand held with the D90 is not as sharp as the Sony, I thought that the VR of the 18-55 and 55-200 would be enough and it has helped but still need a tripod for best results whereas the sony, I can get acceptable results handheld.

I'd need to see examples.

3) Looking at my lenses setup, what would you guys recommend either adding, selling, etc...to be able to have:

- A good wide angle option, wider than 18mm but not crazy fisheye wide but still able to get creative shots in a wider than normal range I don't like UWAs my 28-70mm is wide enough.

- A good mid-range zoom that is image stabilized to help with my shaky hands With a faster lens I don't know that you'll need VR, the 28-70 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 and the 35-70 f/2.8 are all options here

- A good watch lens, whether that is the mid-range zoom or a dedicated macro lens? Macro lenses allow for magnification ratios close to or exceeding 1:1, a normal-to-tele zoom lens won't do this usually. There is the Tamron 90mm f/2.8, Nikon 100mm f/2.8 and the godly Nikon 200mm f/4

- A decent but not awesome long range zoom (least important but that could be to my misunderstanding of what they are used for) How long are we talking and do you mind manual focus otherwise anything longer than 300mm and a decent speed is going to be expensive in autofocus versions.

4) Couple of tripod options: I would like to have one tabetop/travel tripod and one decent full sized tripod: I'm considering these just for the price/performance ratio:

Frankly neither of these tripods are really any good - buy once and buy right when it comes to your tripod. Carefully consider your needs and growth in photography before deciding on a tripod.

5) Lighting options - Of course, the best option is to shoot outside, but not always possible, so I just have a couple of Home Depot work lights with 26W daylight CFLs that I have been using, worked great with the sony but the flash keeps wanting to "pop up" on the D90, do I need more light on these lenses? I can use up to 150w bulbs in the socket so was thinking about a couple of these bulbs 85w Eiko

Continuous lighting always requires more wattage than a strobe does. If you're shooting in manual the flash shouldn't pop up; In auto mode the flash will always pop up in low light. You can disable the flash, by pressing and holding the flash button on the side and rotating the rear command dial till a small flash with a line through it appears. You have the SB600 use it.

6) Finally, all said, would I be better off sticking with the Sony brand? I could switch to the newer SD card based bodies that have the full time live view and image stabilization built in and get some better glass. I just cant imaging that would be a better option than the Nikon D90 setup and am sure it is my inexperience with the D90 and lack of skills but that is of course, an option.

I've recently sat down with a guy who does retouching for Maxim, Playboy, FHM, Commercial work, etc and to be honest there was a noticeable difference in the sharpness of images from all the manufacturers of DSLR systems. Medium format was on top followed by Olympus (top-notch glass, but rare to see a pro shoot Olympus), Nikon, Sony, Canon (except the 1DSIII, it was much better than other Canons), others. SD cards aren't as robust as CF cards, and I don't foresee SD cards replacing CF in your top-tier cameras.

hey murph....Philosopher pretty much summed it all up very nicely I'd say. Here's my 0.02:

1. The Tokina 11-16mm is an outstanding lens for the Nikon. I have been drooling over one for a while now. It's nice and fast at f/2.8 and sharp.

2. VR will only really help you outdoors on those lenses. They do not stop down enough to be fast enough to work any where else but outside. For me, I prefer a faster lens than one with VR. Another outstanding mid-range zoom is the Nikon 17-55mm DX lens. It's big. It's expensive. It's fast. It's sharp. Basically just awesome. A lot of people like it for a day to day carry around lens. It gives you the same usable ranges as the 24-7-mm does on the FX full frame cameras.

3. I love my Manfrotto tripod. I have a 190 (there is a variety of different ones). The thing I love most about it is that the center pole can be adjusted to be horizontal / parallel to the ground. Excellent for getting in nice and close to the subject. Get a decent ball head that will support the weight of your camera and largest lens too.

4. For macro I'd get a BR-2A reversing ring for your 50 f/1.8 lens and go to town on the macro. See my posting here

One other note. If I had the money, and in your situation, this is what I would do:

Sell the 18-55, 55-200, and Sigma lenses. Buy a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 and a Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 and save for a good zoom lens.

I shoot Canon but I for my tripod I have a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 and a Manfrotto 322RC2 head it's wonderful and great to carry around when I need to. And for something sharper move away from the zooms and stock up on some primes lol or get some consistent aperture zooms. A Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8G ED VR II will run somewhere around $2k yet you can pick up a Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6 for somewhere around $150.

3388800643_6097003155_z.jpg

What makes those tripods better than say, the Sunpak.....I see that Manfrotto is very highly rated in everything I've read but just trying to understand the difference.

Here is what I ready about the sunpak pistol grip, what are your guys thoughts, good or bad, or what would it lack that the manfotto provide.

sunpak 6600pg reviews

Continuous lighting always requires more wattage than a strobe does. If you're shooting in manual the flash shouldn't pop up; In auto mode the flash will always pop up in low light. You can disable the flash, by pressing and holding the flash button on the side and rotating the rear command dial till a small flash with a line through it appears. You have the SB600 use it.

I put the SB600 on it and cleared the problem right up.....Much, much better.....shot with the 50mm 1.8 and much sharper. I was afraid the flash would create glare but it actually did the opposite. Thanks...

Hey Murph,

Youve made a great choice going with the D90 (most of the guys who replied to this thread helped me decide on buying one a while ago) :thumbsupsmileyanim: As far as lenses go I think you have a good range for portrait, wide angle and zoom......not sure about the 18-55mm I think thats a "kit lense"? Ive only just bought a Tamron 90mm Macro and I have the 18-105mm, yet to get extra lighting and a tripod..... :whistling: Get a tripod and you should be well on your way to taking some great photos..... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro for sale Murph if you are looking for a great Macro lens. I just don't use it much any more because i have a bellows and flat field macro lens that I use all the time. It would come with original packaging and it is in mint condition.

As for the Manfrotto tripods - its all about stability. They are very solid and don't move around like the cheaper ones do. The other thing that is amazing about them is that the legs can be bent out to many different levels for even more stability. Standard cheap tripods have a very small footprint and therefore cannot support heavier cameras with heavy lenses on them. You've spent a lot of money on the camera kit, don't go cheap on the base that is holding everything up! You will kick yourself if the camera topples over one day because it was mounted on a cheap stand that wasn't designed to hold it's weight. Just my 0.02