When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Camera...?

I'm contemplating buying a new camera, since the shitty one on my blackberry is....well...shitty. The things that I photograph most often are buildings or landscapes. I've tried to take a few shots of my watches, but the BB doesnt seem to like macro much either. Thing is that I want something relatively easy to use - photography is fun for me, but I doubt it'll be a passion, so I'd like to limit the uphill climb while still getting good shots. Also I'd prefer something that I could chuck into a messenger bag - the shots that I like invariably "just happen", and lugging around a full DSLR with lenses isnt gonna happen. My friends have recommended the Canon G11, the digital rebel, and the Nikon D5000.

Any opinions from the photographers around here as to what would make for a good camera given the issues I consider important:

1. Ability to take macro, and landscape (buildings) shots

2. Small - more powerful than point and shoot, but not bulky

3. Easy enough to use that things wont turn into a chore.

Thanks all!

The DIgital Rebel is the bag full of DSLR and lenses so scratch that, even though I'm a big bag o' Canon 'n' lenses guy now. Essentially, you have two choices: Bridge or Compact.

My personal advice would be the Lumix LX5 if you can afford $500 for a compact. However, you may prefer the Canon offering; the G11. That's your choice, but yeah, I prefer the Panasonic non-SLRs.

While this review is one model out of date, it does a good job summarising the high-end Compact market: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/

Or, you could go for a Bridge, which isn't as small, but you usually get honking great zooms on them. The Panasonics offer a 24x zoom, for instance.

Or, get a decent phone. The iPhone 4 replaced my need for a compact and I hear there are some good Android cameras out there.

ps. For watches, you don't want a Macro unless you're taking ridiculously close up shots. All of my regular watch shots are taken with normal lenses or non-macro cameras.

Thanks guys - JKay, any particular ones you could recommend?

Pug, checking out reviews of the LX5 now! Someone else said to wait a few days for the G12. So need to do some reading on that, but a little worried about an untested cam - although I doubt they face the same issues as our reps.

I am thinking of moving from the large (and old) Sony F828 .. it was a very early 8MP camera with full size zeiss lens and DSLR style body, but permanent lens. It takes fantastic pics but I'm tiring of the great honking size of it. I wanted a true DSLR at the time, but the least expensive model was almost $2000, so at $900 the Sony fit a combination of wallet and desire.

I was thinking of moving to the 4/3rds design, myself. I'm still researching ;)

I got a canon non dslr and a nikon d60.

most used the canon,easiest to use the canon,best photos d60 by a loooooooooong way..

i really ended up just using a backpack to take my d60 whit me, it gives me so much better photos its really worth the hassle.

Yeah, the list is currently the G11, LX5 (apparently its great for landscape shots - damn you Pug for making this harder!), and potentially the S90, although I'm leaning more to the first two. And of course, now I gotta read up on the 4/3rds! Typical RWG style; you walk in wanting to find out about the best sub, and 5 weeks later you leave with an Ingy with Lello datewheels that you learnt to install yourself!

Guest ThePhilosopher

I used to own and use the a gripped E-3 with the 35-100mm f/2 and the 35mm macro on a regular basis - don't confuse 4/3 and m4/3. I would probably still own my Olympus setup if they were interested in the pro market at all, I miss my ZD glass.