When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fabrication of forged carbon cases - and why the rep manufacturers won't do it

chefcook

Im in too I believe we have 15 people who said theyre interested...Lets do this...

billsanity, tomtn, chefcook, clemz, tighttchrono, eunomians, jakob, appolo22 x2, malfa, rkdk, wrxzz, mt666tm, repwatch

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see that there actually is feedback.

In the meantime we are facing some trouble:

• The genuine CF case hase different dimensions and therefore different looks compared to the steel case: The pushers are located lower in the case in relation to the dial.
  • It is not clear if the rep movement would work with a lower pusher location. This has to be checked carefully.
  • A fabricator that I already contacted for the mold has already backed out. His production capacity is not sufficient. Unfortunately this company are among the best I know.
  • We need to find a solution for crown tube and we have to insert nuts into the CF case for the band screws. We need to find someone that it is able to produce this at competitive prices.

So we have to decide if we simply want a replacement for the standard SS case or if we want an acurate case and I have to find someone competent for the mold and steel parts (crown tube, nuts).

Nice to see that there actually is feedback.

In the meantime we are facing some trouble:

• The genuine CF case hase different dimensions and therefore different looks compared to the steel case: The pushers are located lower in the case in relation to the dial.
  • It is not clear if the rep movement would work with a lower pusher location. This has to be checked carefully.
  • A fabricator that I already contacted for the mold has already backed out. His production capacity is not sufficient. Unfortunately this company are among the best I know.
  • We need to find a solution for crown tube and we have to insert nuts into the CF case for the band screws. We need to find someone that it is able to produce this at competitive prices.

So we have to decide if we simply want a replacement for the standard SS case or if we want an acurate case and I have to find someone competent for the mold and steel parts (crown tube, nuts).

To make things easy I would just do a simple replacement for the SS case... 99% of people will never even notice the difference and plus it would be easier just to do a direct case replacement rather than trying to mod everything to make it work.

If you do a direct ss case copy then that gap in the crown guard on the top of the chrono pushers will be a glaring tell + the case would be really brittle and could chip the corners of that area when drilling the pusher holes

Maybe you can copy the ss case and thicken the crown guards a bit on top to allow the pushers to 'appear' to be lower

• 2 weeks later...

Doing some research on TZ, I came up with this post:

Link

Officially, forged cases are 0.6 mm thicker than regular ones, and I presume there is reason for it. There are even some posts from people claiming they did measurements by calipers and came up with 1mm difference.

regards