When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake Daytona on Ebay with bids!!

Guest overboosted

Subdials look ok. On the watches age on top it says 2000 or newer in heading, could be a mistake on his part. W series serial # is from the 1995 era, so the serial # jives with it. The seconds at 9:00 would be correct for that year, I believe it changed around 2000. But something in his ad description on the watch and his talking it up, just makes me suspicious. :unsure:

This one is about as close as I could find, its on the bay now. Looks about the same. Owner says its from around 1999 and the high bidder is Watchcrusher. This guy buys alot of Rollies. I`m no expert but maybe after 2000 when they used their own inhouse movement it moved the dials abit. But like I said before, something about the written part in his ad just does`nt feel right. Just noticed he has claimed he has sold 3 cars, but if you look at his feedback, I only see he has had 2 sales ever. First pic is a gen, second is his.

post-170-1143169943_thumb.jpg

post-170-1143169979_thumb.jpg

I looked at a similar watch today at my watchmakers. It had a W serial number- so it was circa 1995. He took the case back off and it's a 4030 movt.- which I believe is the Zenith, but it had a Rolex rotor. My watchmaker didn't realize that it was a Zenith, but I would figure that Rolex takes the Zenith movement and adds its own signature parts, kinda like they use to do on the Valjoux 72 in the 6263 Daytonas.

BTW, the subdials line up w/ the 3 and the 9 and seconds was at 9 o'clock. And of course, an all gold watch is going to worth more. The one I looked at was TT, with gold dial and bezel, SS case. It looked like a 95 watch, it was pretty well worn- the TT bracelet had a lot of scratches on it.

I'd agree with that. Until you take the case back off, who can be certain. And the guy has never sold a watch before, so he's not a dealer or even an enthusiast for that matter. But I guess he's open to using pp, so that's a plus. But I'm not a gambler, so I'd pass!

its a pre 2000 daytona, they have seconds @9 and non-elevated subdials! spacing and running seconds @9 is correct for that watch

and even with caseback open you couldnt really tell if its gen or not. freddy and river build those pre2000 daytonas with genuine zenith movements and rolex rotor, sometimes gen case and dial... almost impossible to tell!

Edited by slay

I think the weight of this Daytona is what ultimately will prove it real or rep. An all gold real Rollie is gonna weigh in at a half a pound! I am exaggerating, but not by much.

A rep will be about half of that.

Beany

One way for eBay sellers to authenticate their auction watches is to give the weight in grams. That't the best indication on a really good rep.

Beany

Dear Overbooster, I know squat about discerning a real Daytona from a rep, but several things don't pass the Nathaniel smell test. First the guy sounds like a carnie barker trying to turn the tip (too much time watching carnies on HBO) :) Second, he says he's a big time seller, yet he only has 28 feedbacks, and only 2 of those are from sales he made... the rest seem to be all purchases he made. Does that make a lot of sense? How do we know they weren't both setups. I'm not saying the buyers made false statements, but he could have sold something genuine and given AAA service just to get some good ratings from buyers. Who knows? I don't, and that's part of the problem, IMO. I just don't see anything to back up his big ticket items he claims he sold. Also, as someone else pointed out, they thought he was showing a genuine Daytona, and perhaps the rest were his watch. Also, only one photo really shows the dial, and it's kind fuzzy, and maybe that's a real one he may have lifted?

To my wayof thinking, too many questions. I see now that he shows it is sold. I only hope the person buying it knows what they are doing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)