When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Do You Think Of This Panerai Crown ? - Photos Compared To The Genuine And Rep Crown

V

I have a Gen Breilting on order at my AD i will keep it secret to what model til i get it :bleh: Lets say its one that can never be replicated. :whistling:

So Palp crowns will be good anuff for me,since i will not be wearing my pams much after that

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Gen Breilting on order at my AD i will keep it secret to what model til i get it :bleh: Lets say its one that can never be replicated. :whistling:

So Palp crowns will be good anuff for me,since i will not be wearing my pams much after that

if you're thinking of making us jealous and curious at the same time... well... you've succeeded ^_^

now tell me the model.... hehehhe

congrat's in advance !! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

if you're thinking of making us jealous and curious at the same time... well... you've succeeded ^_^

now tell me the model.... hehehhe

congrat's in advance !! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

http://www.breitling.com/en/models/professional/emergency/ :D

Photos installed on watches..

001 without plastic and with polished Jimmy guard has homers crown

001 with plastic and brushed buckle has rep crown

127563-20060.jpg

127563-20061.jpg

127563-20062.jpg

127563-20063.jpg

127563-20064.jpg

Love it must order 1 or 2 of this toghtere whit palps crowns.

Cheers,

Dani

Btw.. I must tell that they fit the SWISS UNITAS movements without any mod (I put it in the watch myself)

I don't know about other movements.... the experts must tell me abotu stem sizes and which watches they will fit.

A PM I received from a member according the stems:

the handwinding stem is 1,2mm, the asia automatic stem is 0,9mm,

the gen swiss handwinding stem is 1,2mm and the gen swiss automatic-

stem is 1,2mm too.

So I guess it fits all the Pams except the Asian automatics??? Anyone to confirm this?

there's an easy way to fix that though; you can order a stem extender that accepts a .9mm stem and presents a 1.2 mm stem -- what I just did!

You guys will see one of these on a 222 sometime in the near future!

V, is the crown sprung or unsprung?

Edited by Jonathan

there's an easy way to fix that though; you can order a stem extender that accepts a .9mm stem and presents a 1.2 mm stem -- what I just did!

that's correct !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it helps.

rolli

How you can tell? I can't see any spring..

perfect! exactly what i wanted to hear :)

and why is that? I mean why is better without spring?

I know davidsjen crowns (which are spring) need modifications to fit.. is that the case?

please enlighten me to the magic world of pam crowns :D

to others: feeel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but:

in my experience, sprung crowns, as they are slightly wobbly by design, when paired with a standard rep crown guard (which is not perfectly designed to strike the crown at dead center every time) can produce a crown that, when simply locked in normal fashion, will be slightly crooked (generally, with the crown facing slightly inward towards the dial on the 12 o clock top half). - this can be fixed by fiddling with the crown, but it's an annoyance. It might be only a few degrees, but, to my eye, it's noticeable. Additionally, if you are showing someone your watch, and you open and shut the CG, your crown will be locked out of straight -- a dead giveaway.

It can be mitigated with reshaping of the CG lever, which i've done, but it still can occur from time to time.

Watches that i've had with unsprung crowns have not had this issue, as there is not enough play in the crown beyond a miniscule flex of the stem to allow this to occur.

Watches with 1950 style crowns (which are unsprung and come to a point at which the CG and crown meet) are 100% immune to what i've described above.

I respectfully disagree w/ jonathan:

My suggestion would be to make an attempt on a sprung crown first--why not see if we can make them as much like the gen crown as possible? Same size, same function. If there is a way to make a crown that functions like an OEM crown while working "out of the box" w/ rep guards, I can tell you, having worked on three aftermarket parts projets now, that you will find it's worth the effort. You'll sell them out in a day.

I also guarantee that any CNC shop that has the technology/knowhow to make a crown that works also has the technology/knowhow to make an accurate H series guard...as a package deal, that would make some RWG entrepreneur a healthy sum of money in a VERY short period of time.

I respectfully disagree w/ jonathan:

My suggestion would be to make an attempt on a sprung crown first--why not see if we can make them as much like the gen crown as possible? Same size, same function. If there is a way to make a crown that functions like an OEM crown while working "out of the box" w/ rep guards, I can tell you, having worked on three aftermarket parts projets now, that you will find it's worth the effort. You'll sell them out in a day.

I also guarantee that any CNC shop that has the technology/knowhow to make a crown that works also has the technology/knowhow to make an accurate H series guard...as a package deal, that would make some RWG entrepreneur a healthy sum of money in a VERY short period of time.

I fully agree that replicated parts should be as close to the genuine as possible - in this instance that means an internally sprung crown. Additionally, a 'H' series crownguard should be completely achievable - if the quality was equal to Jimmy Fu's standard CGs it would be a top seller.

It should be the aim to replicate the OEM parts to be interchangable with the genuine items, in the way that Jimmy's are, rather than making them to suit any inaccurate cases etc. This is the only way that the standard will be raised overall. I would rather have to mod an accurate CG to fit an inaccurate case than have a range of parts that no longer fit rep cases when they improve.

For example, my first rep Panerai (an 005) does not fit a genuine CG exactly, but later cases have an accurate side profile so Jimmy's CG fits perfectly.

Archibald-

I totally agree that a 100% functionally accurate sprung crown that didn't suffer from wobbly-crown syndrome would be optimal. However, for me currently, from an aesthetic perspective, I'd prefer the lack of a spring and its associated wobbly problems to perfect functional replication of the original.

Well I couldn't resist and picked up a couple. Some folks have rep collections. I have a crown collection. Here it is:

- Lello 1st gen

- Lello 2nd gen

- Markus 1st gen 1.9

- Markus Palp 2.1

- Markus/Palp 2.0 (to come)

- Homer (1.9??) (to come)

I may have to write a treatise on the developments of PAM rep crowns complete with pictures when the collection is complete. Actually Ziggy may be better qualified as he has had to fit them all. :lol:

And why do I think with all the crowns I have bought over the last year or two I could have bought a second hand gen - watch that is? :bangin: But where is the fun in that. :lol: