When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to get a good lume shot?

I find that you need to be able to adjust the shutter and aperture manually to get a really great lume shot. For this shot, I charged the watch with my shooting lights for 30 seconds. Then I turned out the lights and set my camera for a 10 second shutter time, and the aperture was set to f/4.

DSC_0888-1.jpg

I checked the manual on your SD940 and it doesn't look like there is a manual shooting mode. However, you can set it for long exposures.

From the manual:

You can set the shutter speed to a range between 1 and 15 seconds to shoot long exposure. However, you should attach the camera to a tripod to prevent the camera from moving and blurring the image.

Looks like you choose the Long Shutter mode and then you can use the navigator to choose your shutter speed.

Looks like you choose the Long Shutter mode and then you can use the navigator to choose your shutter speed.

Thanks Red.

I gave it another shot with 10 seconds shutter speed after 30 sec exposure to my Surefire in a dark kitchen and another at 1 second shutter speed with UV indirect. I think this will work and do what I want but it will take some playing around to get the right combination. I may be on the wrong track with the UV but I like the way it looks in real life. We

Guest ThePhilosopher

I don't think this meets your criteria as I popped off a 750 w/s monolight right beforehand at full power to charge the lume then shot at full high speed continuous mode (9 fps or so).

SFSO_Red_0005.jpg

I have to say I just love lume shots and all of these shots look friggin great :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But I must be being thick but I cant really see what you have achieved from your first post shots to your second shots post especially the indirect UV shots? I can see a loss of reflection on glass but no more surely and without wanting to sound daft thats a matter of angles of lighting source.

Is it the sharpness of the lume markers you are trying to improve?

@Philospher - that is absolutely my favourite sort of lume shot and that pic is awesome mate. Now I wish I could do that :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yes your shots are great mate, I am very jealous... but I will keep an eye on this thread for your updates :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I took this with my point and shoot in my sock drawer as its bright daylight not in you guys class but I just love lume :)

• 3 weeks later...

I used a 30-second exposure or so. The watch was charged for a while with a table lamp and the camera was focussed with the lights on. The background is the night sky. This shot was from the same session, with distant street lights as the background. There's no reason lume shots can't be interesting.

seiko-lume-2.jpg