When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Spitfire Chrono flaws

strinos

Hey guys,

I posted a couple of weeks ago that I ordered my first IWC Rep (Spitfire Chrono) from Mary. I got the watch and I couldn't be happier. I love the classic size and understated elegance. It's a really nice piece and am really considering putting aside money for an authentic one.

I was in Vegas this weekend and stopped by the IWC AD at the Palazzo to check out the authentic version and found some differences between mine and the one in the store. I was wondering if it's possible to purchase the parts and have them installed to make the watch look accurate.

The three things I noticed were:

1) Strap color, material and quality. This was a dead give away but not unexpected. I called them later and asked if they had a replacement strap in stock. They were selling it for $290.

2) The minute hand on the rep seems just a little bit on the long side. Barely noticeable, but now that I recognized the difference, it bugs me.

3) The case back is significantly different. I'm not sure if the caseback from my rep is one that was once used by IWC or if it's just plain wrong. I'll post a picture of mine and an authentic (from a post on the forum).

Can the minute hand and caseback be sourced? If so, is there someone who can replace the minute hand and caseback for me?

Please let me know

Thanks

John

Welcome to the forum.

It's a great rep. I used to be concerned about the caseback...now I'm not...but you might be able to source one from one of the dealers for the other 3717's. Look in the review in my sig for more info and pics on this rep.

I don't know about shorter minute hands...but you can get a gen movement and gen hands from Concepta.

Look forward to your pics...

So here are the pictures.

1. Caseback of a gen case that concepta posted which is the same as the gen I saw at the AD.

2. Front of my rep

3. Back of my rep

Is the caseback on my rep just flat out wrong or is that what a previous gen had?

post-1937-0-71563500-1290493319.jpg

post-1937-0-67222600-1290493328.jpg

post-1937-0-57742100-1290493340.jpg

Edited by strinos

Welcome to the forum.

It's a great rep. I used to be concerned about the caseback...now I'm not...but you might be able to source one from one of the dealers for the other 3717's. Look in the review in my sig for more info and pics on this rep.

I don't know about shorter minute hands...but you can get a gen movement and gen hands from Concepta.

Look forward to your pics...

Hey TT - I just checked out your review. WOW - Great job.

I contacted concepta to see what can be done to make it look more like a gen, but if it gets too expensive, I may forego it and just save my money to get the gen. I think I might be able to live with the rep as is.

Any feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated.