When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproof Watch Testers

A couple of bubbles at the crown... Should I be worried?

No. That bubble is air trapped under the crown, not from inside the watch. If the watch leaks, there will be no "maybe" question. It will be a shower of bubbles.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking into this. Whilst "10m" kind of implies it'll be fine to have a bath with, or to go to the swimming pool, it's probably not. The movement of your hands swimming and hitting the water means it's not static. I think 3-5 ATM is what you'd need to feel safe doing a bit of swimming in it, and definitely more if you're a diver.

It's an old myth about the movement in water. You would need to move your arm at about 32mph to add 1atm of pressure. If your watch tests out at 3atm you can swim in it. However if it says 3atm on the back then don't risk it as it may not be that water resistant and there is little margin for error.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I (was) under the impression that all replicas were incapable of being resistant to water and different pressures.. Thanks for the info!

A decent quality replica diver's watch is made of solid stainless steel. As long as the watch assembly worker remembered to install the gaskets, you are good to go.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

To the OP TJGladeRaider:

1. thanks for this post, I always wanted to get how the water proof quality of a watch is measured. I thought through some very sensitive manometer but definitivelly I didn't think about something that immediate like looking for bubbles (mainly because I didn't think about putting the watch in water AFTER putting pressure in the case, only way not to fill it with water if it's not properly waterproof)
  2. your're now stimulating my other hobby ("do-it-by-yourself") to see if I can build up a tool like that by my own :D I think the tricky part is the watch suspender mechanism, which should be pressure proof... The rest shouldn't be that complicated to build, using a simple bike pump (or my 50 liters belt compressor) as pumping engine.

One question from my side: which kind of pressures a direct tap water stream can produce? I'm thinking about when I wash my hands in the sink, or taking a shower... I know that it can be quite a strong pressure but not imagining how much.

Thanks again :-)

One question from my side: which kind of pressures a direct tap water stream can produce? I'm thinking about when I wash my hands in the sink, or taking a shower... I know that it can be quite a strong pressure but not imagining how much.

Thanks again :-)

A good way to tell if the back of your watch is waterproof is to sleep with the watch on, with your hand under the blankets with your body. The moist air will easily enter the watch through any weakness. The next day, place the watch inside your refrigerator for a short time .. 30 minutes? .. and if water vapor is inside the watch, the crystal will have fogged slightly.

Please Sign In or Sign Up