When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ROO Survivor

guru

Decided the ROO Survivor was too bad ass to not have. This will be my sports watch.

I'm willing to spend the bucks on the automatic version with 12:00 seconds. The few flaws seem pretty minor particularly since I will never encounter a gen. A few questions for the ROO fans -

1. I want the horn back gator strap. Is the rubber strap good enough that I should order the watch with that, and then get the horn back one as an extra item for $128 ? I don't think the rubber strap is available separately if I order the horn back version.

2. This version of the rep has a sapphire crystal without AR, the cheaper one with seconds at 9:00 has it. The dealer says the gen doesn't have it, which may well be the case as I haven't seen it in person. My experience is that black dials really need it. Other than maybe distancing itself from the gen, any reason to not have the crystal AR coated ?

3. Are the hands and dots by the markers luminou on the gen ? on the rep ? Assuming the rep has poor or no lume, what do you think about re-luming with superluminova ?

4. Any recommendations on who would be best for AR and superluminova re-lume on a ROO ?

Edited by guru

Decided the ROO Survivor was too bad ass to not have. This will be my sports watch.

I'm willing to spend the bucks on the automatic version with 12:00 seconds. The few flaws seem pretty minor particularly since I will never encounter a gen. A few questions for the ROO fans -

1. I want the horn back gator strap. Is the rubber strap good enough that I should order the watch with that, and then get the horn back one as an extra item for $128 ? I don't think the rubber strap is available separately if I order the horn back version.

Well, i have it with the rubber strap, and its super good quality. Actually i tried it on some of my other ap roos aswell, so i def recomend the rubber.

2. This version of the rep has a sapphire crystal without AR, the cheaper one with seconds at 9:00 has it. The dealer says the gen doesn't have it, which may well be the case as I haven't seen it in person. My experience is that black dials really need it. Other than maybe distancing itself from the gen, any reason to not have the crystal AR coated ?

Gen has no ar. Some of the newer models have ar on the date magnifier, but i dont think the survivor has it.

3. Are the hands and dots by the markers luminou on the gen ? on the rep ? Assuming the rep has poor or no lume, what do you think about re-luming with superluminova ?

Well, i havent relumed any of my watches, but the lume is usually pretty poor. For me its no problem, but if you want it relumed, i guess the best bet would be to send it of to the zigmeister. If you do send it of, id recomend a service of the watch aswell. Then youll be good to go for years to come

4. Any recommendations on who would be best for AR and superluminova re-lume on a ROO ?

Good choice to pic the survivor Guru!

1. If I were you I'd get it on the rubber strap, quality is great. Concerning the hornback leather, you should get that one aftermarket IMO... :) The rubber strap is available separately though, just ask your dealer.

2. Like RKDK said, the gen has no AR. Usually I am not fond of AR on AP's but this one somewhat deserves it :). Gen AP's do reflect a bit, but not as much as the rep due to the higher grade sapphire, I would opt for single AR on the inside. But that's all up to your own opinion, I like my reps as much gen-like as possible (not talking about frankens). The cyclopse of the Survivor has got AR, so I'd buy an AR'ed cyclopse from Uwe.

Gen pic:

Survivor1.jpg

Lung3.jpg

3. Hands and hourmarkers on the gen have lume, on the rep they are poor (pic below). Reluming would do the trick, I am always pro for a relume job! Let them glow!

survivorlume.jpg

4. For AR coating I would opt for Uwe, superluming as well :).

Another thing, on the gen, the conversion links have red and green dots, I think this can be a nice mod, it's not necessary as nobody would notice it but you.

the dots:

dsc0022version2.jpg

Anyway, it's a great rep.

You can find some nice pics overhere:

horomundi link!

The official "survivor" webpage:

Survivor-AP

Edited by edgematic1

I got it on rubber and added a black croc-strap from a 3rd Party supplier.

The SURVIVOR looks completely different ona a croc....

Theo

Thanks for the advice and comments, they are much appreciated. I saw pics of the gen on Purist forum with those red and green dots... are you sure they are not just reflection/refraction from the flash ? That is what I would think from those shots.

Also which 3rd party supplier should I look to for a croc strap ? I've been informed by an owner that the rubber one that comes with the rep is pretty decent, but the optional rep croc strap isn't so great.

AP Bands makes the best Hornback straps available. This is the one that I have fitted to my Survivor. You can see pics of my watch with this strap here on our beloved forum.

Currently, AP Bands is outta stock with this particular strap. Email them to see when it'll be back in stock.

In the meantime, get the rubber strap, it's not bad. The replica leather strap is junk!

The red & green dots are there on the genuine watch. The rep doesn't have them.

Some answers:

- the red/green dots are ONLY on one side of the case....noone knows what they are there for :huh:

- the rep-hornback sucks indeed....APBands is a very good choice, me SURVIVOR above sports a Simona strap with integrated plots covered in croc leather...veeery nice but also veeery expensive

- there is a special thread here showing all possible AP strap options from 3rd party suppliers...also some rep-straps are nice quality

Theo

....3 years ago I had been invited by AP and OP to the SIHH in Geneva to see the new releases.

So I had the chance to finger the watch and drool on it for some time. As I asked for these dots on one of the sides I got only a smile as answer :huh:

Those people I know with a gen SURVIVOR (2 collectors) don´t have those dots or they are gone or they never noticed.

This was my knowledge todate.....but teach me wrong, .... cheers

Theo

.....so maybe this was just a design-gimmick for the SIHH (SURVIVOR=military tool=combat/rifle-style) but never made it to production.

We will never know and I am not sure if the AP CEO I spoke to had no clue or was not allowed to tell :brow:

Theo

Per AP, it is a light effect from the blackened treatment. It is noticeable at certain angles and in certain light, and when AP saw it, they liked the effect.

=> according to the AP administrator on TimeZone

The dots could also refer to gun sights

Anyway, it is a nice rep and very well built with attention to details. Too bad AP is not at Baselworld...

Nice watch but the movement is a accident waiting to happen.

Actually no, the movement is reliable and jewelled where needed :)

Like all Asian 7750 based watches though, a full service and regulation would be a good idea ;)

Secs@12 is nothing like the future "paperweight" secs@9, I have no idea why people think it is. I have owned quite a few of these over time, they have all worked without any problems B)

Actually no, the movement is reliable and jewelled where needed :)

Like all Asian 7750 based watches though, a full service and regulation would be a good idea ;)

Secs@12 is nothing like the future "paperweight" secs@9, I have no idea why people think it is. I have owned quite a few of these over time, they have all worked without any problems B)

Maybe it's because I serviced dozens and I actually know what I'm talking about. All the watches that ended up on my workbench had the same problem with the second wheel @12 which grinds over the added plate because it is NOT jeweled at that crucial spot. It's a matter of time before the extra drag will cause parts to either wear out or break completely. So imo you're just lucky until now ;)

I'm working on another one right now which stopped running completely. Yup, same problem. This movement was designed for running seconds @9. The best Swiss technicians designed this movement (Valjoux 7750) and the Chinese just randomly ad stuff so it looks better in our reps. It's like letting your car drive on NOS constantly. Things will break or wear down soon as all the other parts of the car aren't calculated for that kind of wear and tear ...

post-682-0-82899500-1299748057.jpg

Thanks to all for the great info. AP ROO Survivor sec@12 has been ordered with the rubber strap. Also I'm ordering a 3rd party black hornback strap with black stitch, 200mm length and tang holes for the OEM buckle. Not cheap but should be super nice and a better value than the rep hornback which is stamped, I think.

The AP ROO Survivor will be coming with a HBB Ice Bang II... very excited to receive this package :D