Welcome to RWG - The original

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KB

Dave123

41 posts in this topic

The man I am speaking to today needs no introduction by me, in fact no matter which forum you belong to you could not fail to know the man who has accumulated more posts than any other.

I believe that Dave has even had his counter reset to zero on more than one occasion.

There are many facets that make up Dave123, the straight shooter, the contentious guy, the s^#t stirrer and the lets have fun type but there is another side that many fail to notice, it’s a side that shines through when those around him fall on hard times. It is these times that have shown Dave to be one of the forums most generous contributor/donators, a guy who not only rallies in times of hardship but leads by example.

When planning this interview I gave a lot of thought to the direction I wanted to take. The first option the ‘Shoot the Breeze’ easy reading interview, the second was to plumb his knowledge of the boards gleaned from his intimate associations with forum admin teams, including a stint on the team at RG. What I have chosen is what I hope is an interesting blend of the two.

KB: Hello Dave123 and thank you for taking the time to answer these questions today.

D123: Hey Ken, a pleasure sir, nice to be here.

KB: Let me start by asking what brought you to the rep watch forums and indeed watch collecting itself?

D123: Hmm, back in 2001 I was 26 years old and running a fairly successful business I started when I was 19,I had always respected Rolex as the watch to own, never really paid much attention to other brands and bought a gen 15210,nothing overly special but I was really proud to have been able to buy it. As time went on and business continued to grow, I went online and did a Google search for a “Gold Rolex”, thinking maybe I could find a decent deal on a used FG Rollie and I think the second hit on the search was old RWG1. I recalled the fake Tags I sold a handful of for $40 or so back in the 80’s in high school and had some laughs at the thought of a forum discussing junk like that existed so I joined and lurked for a while, seeing pics that were not those cheesy fake Tags I recalled. I decided to introduce myself as a guy looking to check out a rep FG DD,I was given a warm welcome by a fellow newcomer that lives close to me, ”Zed”. I was given the advice to check out Josh’s products, bought the DD from him, I was amazed when it arrived, couldn’t believe it.

I ended up giving that watch to my dad who owned a gen TT DJ and wore that rep DD more than his gen, he ended up giving it to a friend over a year later who also couldn’t believe it wasn’t real, as far as I know he still wears it today. From there I was enjoying RWG1 and “AllergyDoc” as well as “fakemaster” had just joined (I gave him the name “fakey” everyone calls him today),had many run in’s with “Demsey” and TTK as another name there at the time, it was fun and I have a million stories about that forum before it finally went offline, but it is the best time I had on these forums. They didn’t have a dealer section as you know, I ended up here and RWI, but frankly spent more time at RWI,I digged the black screen I guess. I did have constant login issues here at the time and in March 2008 Double T removed my account and made this one, no login troubles since.

KB: And how many watches (rep and gen) make up your collection today?

D123: You know Ken, just a handful of gens and one rep I just bought from good ol Nikki6,I have owned at least a hundred reps over the years and some gens I have gotten rid of but while some can have dozens of watches and wear them, rep buying helped me find the gen watches right for me and I have them now, very happy.

KB: You have built up a name as Mr Breitling, the go to man for anything to do with this brand. Were Breits amongst your first love in watches or did you pass through a procession of brands before settling on them?

D123: As mentioned, I did start with Rolex (I think most do) and thru rep buying a came across Breitling, I think a BCE was my first Breit purchase to which I owned 7 of, then a load of others, then bought my gen SA years ago, put a diamond bezel on it, was coined “the king of bling” for a while, though I know you have your own here ;) where has he been anyway…

After all that time with Breitling I just went back to my roots (a bit) and bought a gen TTGMTIIc Rollie, I really love it, has not left the wrist since arrival and that’s says a lot, nothing has taken the SA off my wrist for more than a day, not even other Breits I have owned.

KB: I mentioned in my opening your generosity towards your fellow collectors in times of hardship but truthfully this also is true to the forums you frequent. I believe you are the biggest donators of watches/money on Rep Geek. Have you ever reason to actually regret this level of philanthropy?

D123: Money no, aside from VIP membership, at the time RG admin was offering free VIP upgrades to old RWG1 members that would join RG,I actually paid for mine anyway. I have always liked to help out others when I see fit, it started at RWG1 when a new member joined, asked for a good dealer to buy a rep Rolex, then went on about having a hard time feeding the family wife had not purchased new clothes in years, times tough etc..some members blasted him for looking for a rep while being in such a position as did I, but offered to send him a Daytona rep I had if he would spend that money he was going to on a watch on something nice for his wife instead. He did and is a forum member (mainly on RG) today. I felt good about that and myself, continued it on with the other forums, did an avatar contest at RWI for a watch I had, gave away numerous watches at RG for raffles and to members basically for fun (I enjoyed it and money wasn’t the issue),and then the issue with Donny (sixbennetts) came along, knew the guy on the forums for as long as I could remember and had a gen Breit I never wore, impulse buy, thought it would do more good for him than myself, and it did.

Regrets not really, I gave a 127 to “Inferno” once and he turned on me and banned me at RG when “Posh” insulted my wife in a thread and I responded in not so nice a tone as expected, to later find out they are GF/BF. I was put back that same day and they haven’t been heard from since. Only regret I guess.

KB: Had my own run in with Inferno, terrible choice for mod... Ok let’s talk turkey. I have mentioned that you’re a straight shooter, a fun guy and generous to a fault, yet you have been banned from every board but RWG, why?

D123: I haven’t. I was enjoying RWI, spoke to Greg (daytona4me) many times via pm after Tim scammed members and bailed and Greg took over the forum, there were times that the forum wasn’t doing well and he seemed discouraged, I told him to hang in there, he was a good dude and the forum would recover from the past owner and RG starting (I wasn’t participating at RG at the time),we did the muppet theme on the forum after TTK was booted and the muppet comment made, it was a lot of fun. Then one day he decided to get rid of Josh and Andrew to start being the forums main dealer basically, I didn’t agree with it, don’t think the guy that runs the forum should be a dealer unless he steps down, don’t want another Tim (or Blade really) issue where the forum is hurt by an owner cashing in and I was attacked from all angles by the admin team there, I asked for my account to be removed, they wouldn’t so I went on a “FU” storm till they did. Proud of it? Nope, but it was what it was, I think Greg gave up on dealing now, and RWI members are at a loss without Josh as far as I’m concerned.

After RWG1 went offline, a couple noobs (at the time) started an exact copy version of it,1.1 or 1.2 or 123,wasn’t a big fan of it as the original was gone, time to move on, but joined when it started and it was when the RWI situation was going down and the admin guys from there showed up carrying on RWI nonsense with me, so I asked the owner of that forum to remove my account there as well, since then I just kept with RG and here, Sylar I considered a “friend”, talked to him on the phone many times and thought he was a good guy, I took most of 2010 off the forums and in that time he apparently was taking members, I rejoined to hear about it and started participating again, with him gone there seems some that couldn’t wait to get a chance to bait me and of course I take the bait, I was banned and the thread removed, quick and easy, makes ya wonder. One long time forum member said to me “though your generosity over the years will make you friends, it will also make jealous enemies”…probably true, dunno. Never wanted that.

KB: Thanks for setting the record straight Dave... Given the time again are there some things you have regretted saying or doing?

D123: Oh boy Ken, loaded question LOL.

Probably a few man, but calling Sylar “friend” I guess the worst, I have always been the “anti-BS” guy imo and while I never expected it, he went the opposite route it seems. There are probably a few more I don’t remember during a kool aid filled evening or a thousand…;)

KB: Like yourself I have, at times, been on very good terms with all the forums Admins but as everyone’s perspective is different can you please share with us how you view each Admin and why?..Only Admin’s please not all the team’s members.

D123: Wow.

Here at RWG I don’t know Thomas (or admin you can delete the name if called for),I know of him, and respect him, he has never seemed to be apart of any BS and this goes back way before most of us on any of these forums, thank him for being apart of the community but not as aggressive as others. Many of the other admin here (your handsome self Ken) I have never said anything negative about which brings me to By-Tor, years ago I posted a negative comment in regards to one of his reviews, going back to the regrets angle, that would be one, I respect the man very much, not many have donated more time to this hobby than him, we are friends today, that’s another thing about him, water under the bridge, we have shared enjoyable threads since.

RWI, well D4M decided to do what he did, takes guts I guess but frankly its long ago and I wish it never happened, Hooligan is another one, decent guy but we just agreed to disagree at the time,R2D4 I miss the most there, he wasn’t an admin at the time, is now and is one great guy, a forum asset.

The other RWG I don’t know that Greg very well, when I asked for my account to be removed it was, he said if I ever changed my mind, no problem, that seems to have changed though I have done nothing to the guy, so dunno what to say there.

RG…well Sylar was I thought a `forum guy`` and I thought a lot of him, JC is strictly business and will talk to you like it’s the first time he has talked to you, I won’t knock him as he has done nothing negative to me, but really he is not around much, he bought out `dawg`` and does his ``iron fist`` post once or twice a year, or `welcome to RG, the only forum for reps on the net`` that’s about it, I and the others did far more than he ever did I would say, but he is an owner so…Anubis seems gone know and back in the day was the forums only real problem, most couldn’t stand the guy, some other mods followed along. Zed,Bebenn all bailed as mods, couldn’t take it anymore, Niko it seems as well, long gone there but has posted here a few times of late. It is what it is, new ownership alongside JC.

WC is owned by a guy named Joe, as mentioned earlier at RG there was a thread (many remember) where Posh insulted my wife with ethnic stereotypes, I was there to fire back, many agreed she was out of line, the one to defend her was Joe, I was a mod (though it wasn’t announced due to my colorfull at times roll ;) ) and when he hit the `report this post`` icon it went to my email as well, I had some laughs, later (during my hiatus) things went on with Sylar, Joe started his own forum and I am not welcome, what can ya do, no surprise.

KB: Having been on the inside at RG can you answer the age old question, is the board at least partly owned by the cartel?

D123: No, not at all, that is an old one indeed Ken, I think you know the answer to that too. ;) J and A donated watches for the first forum raffle they had when they started up, they have donated watches here as well, I think since I took over the donating they all gave up..LOL.

KB: Sorry Dave but you know I had to ask...A while back our Admin started a thread stating he had positive proof that RG was fiddling with their membership numbers. He did this because he has a very strong belief that a boards Admin and his team must maintain a very high level of honesty with their members. However the RG members largely dismissed this and that’s fine if they are happy, but as nothing changed can you tell us how an entire Admin team can continue to carry out such a deception?

D123: Never was a topic discussed at RG, it is obvious in what Thomas posted and frankly I don’t want to throw JC under a bus here, we have no problems with each other, but I will say that if you ask him about things like that you will get a ``enjoy RG`` generic response. There are topics they want to avoid and he says he does not view other forums nor care what they discuss.

KB: I remember when we were running the POTR benefit on our board and a RWG Collaboration 1 watch was raffled, you said you would have it regardless of the price and you did too. But then you flipped it not much later for a substantial loss. What’s the story there?

D123: I didn’t flip it Ken, it was for a good cause and I wanted not only to buy it but also donate to POTR, so I said I would outbid anyone in hopes that the bids would go up there and I would make sure it was the maximum it could be, looking back maybe that was the wrong approach. I ended up selling it to a guy in your neck and he said it never arrived, I refunded him in full, I paid for it twice, no problem. To bad it is a rare watch that disappeared, it cant be replaced.

KB: Just on 5 years ago after the disappearance of Blade the rest of the boards Admin team and the VIP group took the decision to migrate to a new site rather than lose everything we had built over the previous years. So we set it all up and made the move only to see Blade turn up on D day and pay the server rent. Well we had settled here and felt secure with our new Admin so very few went back but for some, including yourself, it became a home in the wild west, fun times? Enlightening times? Tell us the story.

D123: Indeed Ken, I walked into the door at RWG1 and was stomped by you guys heading the other way, had no idea what was up..

Like I said earlier, I was just lurking for a bit, had no idea the past at first and basically Demsey and Clive (highflyingclive) seemed the main forum guys, along with omni, offshore would show up, Allergydoc and fakemaster joined, hoochman etc..there was no moderation aside from Jean and some `ghost`` mods (clive etc) it was a lot of fun at the tail end of its day, when ``James from Bestswiss`` showed up to take us on, you guys also showed up, good memories.

The `feud`` between me and fakey was classic, me and Dems, been a few, it was fun. I frankly miss that time the most on these forums.

KB: Like all of us I am sure you have made many good online friends and I know you have personally met some forum members but what about GTG’s have you had the chance to be a part of one/some of them?

D123: No, not many GTG`s in Canada but I have met a good friend in ``bollobandit`` I sold him his first rep watch and he has gone on to being a rep and gen machine and a great asset to these forums as many know. Been to my home many times, had lunch with him many as well, the best guy you would ever meet, even bought gens with the guy, Andreww and Zed I would love to meet, as well as Toad, we all live close by, it has not come together.

KB: Can I ask you to share your thoughts on where you see this hobby of ours heading? Will we all still be doing this in say 10 years time and if so will there ever be a perfect rep?

D123: Haha! They need more dave123`s and Kenberg`s or uh..KB`s…;)

The rep hobby will always be around, but I still believe it’s best for those that really want to try out products before buying what is right for them, or just have fun. That is what it should be about imo, some of us get to carried away….;)

Prefect rep…depends on your comfort level, I have made franken SA`s that are perfect but I know it’s not gen and while nobody will know that, I know, and gone.

KB: If you could choose one watch you would like to see repped what would it be and why?

D123: The Gaytona!….umm…

KB: Ok let’s do the 5 minutes of fame

KB: Age?

D123: 35

KB: Occupation?

D123: Business owner

KB: Beer/ wine or spirits?

D123: Beer and Rye (whiskey) to much of it, that reminds me, my glass is empty…

KB: Meat/fish or veg?

D123: LOL, meat and crown royal as my veg…

KB: Favourite book?

D123: Replica Breitlings by Dave123,soon to be a best seller :D

KB: Favourite movie

D123: Cast Away I think its called, the one where Hanks talks to a soccer ball for 2 hours, I have talked to a hockey puck for 3, I get it….

KB: What other hobbies do you have?

D123: I collect empty crown royal bottles. :D and cars, been a vette and benz guy for a while.

KB: If you could choose 3 people either current or from history to share your dinner table who would they be?

D123: Aside from you Kenneth ;) would have to be Chuck Liddell and the guy that designed the Breitling SA.

KB: I was once told only hookers and hockey players came from Canada, so what position did your wife play?

D123: Tight End. Or is that Football…

KB: I always like to leave them laughing. Many have opinions about you, be it positive or not so complimentary but I am of the strong belief that the forums need guys like you to keep them strong. A man who not only cares about his hobby and gets involved in supporting the boards but also has lots of time for the noobs. Then of course there’s the sheer interest factor “What’s Dave going to say about this?” that draws members to his posts.

Dave thank you for taking the time to do this interview today, it’s been a pleasure talking to you.

D123: Well thank you Ken, I did indeed once call myself the ``Howard Stern`` of watch forums, that was in the day. Thank you for the interview, it’s been a lot of fun, actually, good memories and some not so.

Ken

Great read guys! Thanks for the candid talk! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The man, the myth, the legend speaks. Great read guys. We're happy you shared Dave drinks.gif (no crown royal icon)

I knew there has to be good about someone who likes Chuck Liddell

heck if I had known you earlier, Dave I'd have gotten you a piece of his memorabilia

Ok...

Just to clear this old rumor up.

Your not related to Klink?

Nice interview with a classic, and classy member.

Pizz

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Dave is a good man. That was good read.

Thanks. :good:

Indeed, a good read, Thanks Dave, thanks KB!

Offshore

I remember this guy......good read, thanks.

ID: 9   Posted (edited)

This is a great read! Dave I remember a lot of those times on RG you mentioned. I was there that night (and many others) on the thread reading when the whole posh thing blew. After inferno banned you I went off on him and got banned to. It was only because I emailed Sy and JC that I got back in. Soon after inferno was gone. Some crazy times. Beer and whiskey all the way!! Cheers my drinkin buddy! drinks.gif

Edited by stolikat

Really enjoyed listening to that, thanks Ken and Dave!!

Dave and I have sparred with eachother many times, oddly we don't know eachother all that well, but we seemed to 'click' in the having fun at eachothers expense area! No surprise my 2nd fav sparring partner is Fakey!! lol. Birds of a feather and all that!!

Through out our wee sparring matches we have had good laughs, some sterling insults and basically had good times! At no point, I feel anyways, did it go below the belt or overly personal, there are limits I won't cross!! I refer you to'Posh's' thread to gauge where that line lies! Between Dave and I, alls a go, but I don't think either of us would ever cross that line!!

I've now had the pleasure of talking to Dave via PM recently when he bought my SLR, we're still waiting for those SL55 wristies big fella, and happily as I kinda knew we would, we got on really well.

Finally, I'm not blowing smoke up his a$$ or complimenting for compliments sake, he is a genuinely good/great guy, what he has done for this hobby we all enjoy is beyond and out the other side!! His generosity for those he feels are in need or just on a whim are legendary, but I've never felt that he is coming across as the "Big I am" look what I can do if I want. It's always been for good reasons, helping members, Forums etc, or as I said, just for sh1ts and giggles, but never done to be able to say, "yeah I did that, I'm great me!!"

You're still a big diamond wearing, blinging jessie tart all the same!! ;)

Sixx :bones:

No, Who's on firstbase.....

Who's on second?

sorry :p

Ken

So who's on first?! lol

I love that skit, sorry guys, I couldn't resist!! Neither could KB by the sound of it!!

Still a great interview and a great listen!!

Really nice guys!

Good read!

Everyone knows Dave, but now i know more details!

Great, interesting read guys. Dave has always been a top notch guy who not only has always been generous with his opinions, but with his wallet as well. Good to see you spending more time here!

Great write up!

Dave was one of the first forum guys I've met several years ago and consider him a good friend.

btw - I get dibs on the TT GMTc ;)

Great Write up Ken, Thanks...:thumbsupsmileyanim:

I did fall asleep everytime I got to a line starting D123....did I miss anything interesting...;)

Great Share :thumbsupsmileyanim: and I think you will find ....What was on First :)

ID: 19   Posted (edited)

Really enjoyed listening to that, thanks Ken and Dave!!

Dave and I have sparred with eachother many times, oddly we don't know eachother all that well, but we seemed to 'click' in the having fun at eachothers expense area! No surprise my 2nd fav sparring partner is Fakey!! lol. Birds of a feather and all that!!

Through out our wee sparring matches we have had good laughs, some sterling insults and basically had good times! At no point, I feel anyways, did it go below the belt or overly personal, there are limits I won't cross!! I refer you to'Posh's' thread to gauge where that line lies! Between Dave and I, alls a go, but I don't think either of us would ever cross that line!!

I've now had the pleasure of talking to Dave via PM recently when he bought my SLR, we're still waiting for those SL55 wristies big fella, and happily as I kinda knew we would, we got on really well.

Finally, I'm not blowing smoke up his a$$ or complimenting for compliments sake, he is a genuinely good/great guy, what he has done for this hobby we all enjoy is beyond and out the other side!! His generosity for those he feels are in need or just on a whim are legendary, but I've never felt that he is coming across as the "Big I am" look what I can do if I want. It's always been for good reasons, helping members, Forums etc, or as I said, just for sh1ts and giggles, but never done to be able to say, "yeah I did that, I'm great me!!"

You're still a big diamond wearing, blinging jessie tart all the same!! wink.gif

Sixx bones.gif

Missing my brotha Stu,always the man. Anyone heard from him of late?...

Edited by Dave123

Great read!

Dave's generosity is as legendary as his crown filled late night rants.

I was off the forums for a year or so and when I returned (mainly on rg) I was shocked to hear Dave was gone and actually banned after all he did for that forum.

There is no one there to respond to blinged out SA questions since he left.

I actually really miss his posts, though I have never had a conversation with him.

Last I recall he was taking some time away to spend more time with his family.

Glad to see hopefully he is starting to frequent this forum now.

Thanks brother. I took some time off as noted,got called by Julio looking to sell me a watch only to find he was scamming all over at RG,i would have been next. Amazing. People.

Maybe when RG gets back up after this lastest fiasco, they will recognize you as a valuable contributor and look at it differently if under new control.

LOL. Though i am married to one,i dont sell them. ;)

I should upgrade to platinum again,i know. If i could only pay in cash..

Great interview guys ;) it's nice to know who some of the good guys are too!