When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Options for hands for Ingod Rail dial?

LegendofSpeed

Are there any decent options for hands to go along with an ingod 1665 rail dial... This is my last piece of the puzzle before I can have it all built... obviously gen hands will work but I could use a cheaper replacement after making the mistake of adding up the price of my build so far...

If I have to bite the bullet and buy gen hands I will... but an alternative would be appreciated...

yeah, like fred said, depends on your movement. If you have a gen mvnt, def go with gen hands, it's one of the benefits of having the mvmt.

I tried some aftermarket Tudor replacement hands and the quality wasn't up to par, so I stuck with the MBK hands that came on the MBK ETA movement and had them relumed.

2tritiumlume.jpg

I understand the hands match the movement... I already have a 1570, hence my seeking some less pricier option for hands... i guess i didn't ask my original question well...

My concern would be matching the dial aesthetically... I purchased Clark hands just to take a look and lumi hands on a non glowing dial just doesn't do it for me... i know all service replacement hands now are lumi, but what would be an inexpensive option to give a dead tritium look on a 1570 movement?

My concern would be matching the dial aesthetically... I purchased Clark hands just to take a look and lumi hands on a non glowing dial just doesn't do it for me... i know all service replacement hands now are lumi, but what would be an inexpensive option to give a dead tritium look on a 1570 movement?

I use a combo of Freddy333's Iodine method. However, Iodine on Lumi does some strange stuff. It is as if the Lumi "eats" the Iodine, so it goes on dark and returns close to normal. Bizzaro. And you will never totally kill the lumi, it will shine through a bit still.

I will take a Lumi hand, and ON THE BACK of it, color it with a "Brown Sharpie" marker. The brown will darken and show thru to the front of the hand.

The below hands were Sharpied on the Back, and Iodined on the front with a manicurists Q-Tip.

The DOT on the 24hr hand was Sharpie added to the front side, and smeared with Iodine.

a25pp1010635.jpg

You can also Try Coffee or Tea Staining. But beware, too wet and you might disolve the Lume all together.

smp1010611.jpg

Iodine on Lumi does some strange stuff. It is as if the Lumi "eats" the Iodine, so it goes on dark and returns close to normal. Bizzaro. And you will never totally kill the lumi, it will shine through a bit still.

This is why I always bake the hands (after the iodine has dried). The heat both darkens the color & greatly weakens the glow. The resulting lume is dark & grainy with a vague, barely perceptible glow (which you can see in a dark room after your eyes have acclimated to the ambient darkness) that lasts for about 30 seconds before fading to total darkness (very much like 50+ year-old tritium).

By the way, I mix my own lume (Bergeon 5680 Luminous paste mixed (with water) to a very weak solution).

This is why I always bake the hands (after the iodine has dried). The heat both darkens the color & greatly weakens the glow. The resulting lume is dark & grainy with a vague, barely perceptible glow (which you can see in a dark room after your eyes have acclimated to the ambient darkness) that lasts for about 30 seconds before fading to total darkness (very much like 50+ year-old tritium).

By the way, I mix my own lume (Bergeon 5680 Luminous paste mixed (with water) to a very weak solution).

+1

Completely iodined and baked dial/hands

5615632172_e77cdcb82f_z.jpg

well, since you are going with newer hands and need to age them, The Zigmeister (zigmiester) can do wonders for you. Send him a pm and see if he can help you out.

Here is another example of coffee and oven I did on another peice that came with white lume originally.

after1y.jpg