When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new SOH franken project

cougaree

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you didn't write that SOH review of yours, I wouldn't fall in love with SOH right away. Thank you Krpster!

Man, I wish I didn't sell my gen mesh bracelet... Oh well. :)

@Krpster, did you use a stock ETA 2824-2 movement in yours?

@Krpster--all SOHs will be inferior now...mine included. :(

@cougaree--That gen mesh bracelet you sold me is looking mighty fine on my wrist. :) I guess I owe you a beer or two for the SOH v2 as well. Where'd you get the zulu band? Might be nice to tone down the look every now and then.

:pimp:

looks great, guys!...

any side-by-side shots?...would the rep dw work have worked with the gen dial?...how diff is the rep dw from the gen?...

Wei - is Mike going to relume the hands to match the dial?...or did you pick up gen hands?...

like the Zulu idea...i wear one on my Navi...i keep my SOH v2 on the black Ocean Racer...

R-

@Krpster--all SOHs will be inferior now...mine included. :(

@cougaree--That gen mesh bracelet you sold me is looking mighty fine on my wrist. :) I guess I owe you a beer or two for the SOH v2 as well. Where'd you get the zulu band? Might be nice to tone down the look every now and then.

:pimp:

I got the Zulu band either from the bay or Countycomm.com not sure which one. I bought it three or four years ago. Just be aware of poor quality look likes. I'm glad you are still wearing the bracelet. I have had it for a year but never had the guts to use it :)

looks great, guys!...

any side-by-side shots?...would the rep dw work have worked with the gen dial?...how diff is the rep dw from the gen?...

Wei - is Mike going to relume the hands to match the dial?...or did you pick up gen hands?...

like the Zulu idea...i wear one on my Navi...i keep my SOH v2 on the black Ocean Racer...

R-

Side-by-side shots? I will try to take some when I get the watch back. I'm not sure if the rep dw works on the gen dial. I would say yes but not 100% sure. I just got lucky to get a gen dw, so I didn't ever ask Mike to try the rep dw. Now the watch hands are installed, so it's kinda late. I think it would because on the gen dw, the text are centered vertically, same as the rep dw.

The hands one mine are rep. I was told gen hands are one time use only and they are pretty expensive. I may not lume these hands at this time. Maybe later in the future, we'll see.

Gen hands are one use only. They get tapped in place with a hand set tool and hammer...you can see this in Breiltings video. Removing the hands, typically will destroy them and risk damage to the dial. Rolex hands are the same way...I have to beat them onto HackR's Tudor. :whistling:

i would be completely disappointed with Mike if he didn't pop the hands and re-lume them...

you're creating a special piece...Wei - be a lot more demanding with Mike!...i can coach you on how to get what you want - and moreoever what the watch deserves... :whistling: I'm sure our friend krpster (and others) would agree with me...

R-

i would be completely disappointed with Mike if he didn't pop the hands and re-lume them...

you're creating a special piece...Wei - be a lot more demanding with Mike!...i can coach you on how to get what you want - and moreoever what the watch deserves... :whistling: I'm sure our friend krpster (and others) would agree with me...

R-

And right after I lume Wei's hands I am going to test the metallurgical properties of someone's 252 to ensure that it is actually 316L. :whistling:

I don't think I have the skills for these monster...The hour hand scares the hell out of me just thinking of trying to flow lume over that gap.

Looks like they've got few other gems for Steelfish, Bentley 6.75, BCE, SA, etc. Also a black one for SOH. Great time to franken up your Breitlings...

Regarding their Steelfish dials, doublecheck the diameter before buying... The XL fish is 31mm, at least one of their's is 30mm. But when I checked they've only had one up for sale, maybe time to check again?! :D

If you didn't write that SOH review of yours, I wouldn't fall in love with SOH right away. Thank you Krpster!

Man, I wish I didn't sell my gen mesh bracelet... Oh well. :)

@Krpster, did you use a stock ETA 2824-2 movement in yours?

Sorry for my delay. Been traveling for a while.

Glad I could help fuel the fire :)

To answer your question, yup, stock 2824-2 movement. Bought it from Ofrei some time ago for my SOH project. Went together quite smoothly and no clearance problems with the hands on the front side.

Nothing but the best!

On a side note I have a blue V2 inbound to add to my collection :) Can't have too many SOH ;) Looks like I will start over again.

Sorry for my delay. Been traveling for a while.

Glad I could help fuel the fire :)

To answer your question, yup, stock 2824-2 movement. Bought it from Ofrei some time ago for my SOH project. Went together quite smoothly and no clearance problems with the hands on the front side.

Hmm... it's good to know. Thanks! The blue SOH is next... just need to find one first :)

I had two black dial SOH once... :). I still have four franken BCEs.

The bottom line is I think I just simply enjoy getting parts to build franken than actually wearing them. Sometimes I feel I have to buy a watch because I have or know where to get a gen part to fit. Maybe I'm not mentally healthy. :)

Here is a kinda boring, crappy picture I took of the SOH today with my iPhone.

For some reason the dial looks darker in the picture than real life. In real life, under normal light, the dial is actually a shade lighter than the bezel... it's almost kind of brown. The date is slightly off centered in the date window (the picture show it's more off centered, it's not, just the camera angle). This is because I used a older serviced ETA 2824-2 movement. I think if I buy a new movement with date at 6, the problem should go away. It's not enough to bother me to replacement the movement right now. I will worry about it when I need to have the movement serviced again in the future.

Thanks Bikemike for doing such awesome job putting it together!

photo-2.jpg