When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 Franken On The Bay

the collector

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dial looks like it comes from Timeman (has the same "Nanuq" font error as mine). Engraving looks like it was done by hand. The bridge is incorrect for a 727 movement.

Overall, not bad looking.

Well... There are a few things that should probably be explained...

The concentric rings and radial sunburst finish of the dial were washed out when I eliminated the noise from the pic ;) They are there...

The crown is situated much lower than the v1.0 dials...

Everything else you pointed out is as you see it.

Perhaps the new owner will post some pics of it (which should be better than mine) :)

You've got some serious patience to have made it that far on the project. Aside from the dial feet being in the wrong position, I found David's silver dial unacceptable because of 1) the weak radial brush marks, 2) the weak concentric effect on the subdials, but worst was 3) the thick, glossy lacquer finish.

For my 6265 (currently at my watchmaker for a VJ72 overhaul) I selected the Timeman silver dial. It does have the font errors, but intitial visual impact was much better than David's.

Yesterday, DW told me that his latest dials (with corrected feet) are currently in production, and should be shipping soon.

It could be a 727, but not Rolex. Gears are the wrong color, and as mentioned, the bridge is not correct. A few other watch firms used the 727 in the 60's such as Girard Perregaux, or it could just be a good engraving job. www.doubleredseadweller.com/ has a blurb on the fake Daytonas, of which this is clearly one.

But at least the guy tells you aftermarket case, dial, etc. so you can decide if it's worth it to you to bid. You'd spend at least $1000-1500 and up putting one of these together yourself.

I'm wondering when someone starts to sell an aftermarket PAM111 with aftermarket case, dial, hands, crown, movement, strap

If the PAM111 was 30 years out of production, and it remained the most desireable production timepiece ever produced by Panerai, and Panerai was as popular as Rolex, and it sold for $30-60,000...then you might actually see that happening.

It could be a 727, but not Rolex. Gears are the wrong color, and as mentioned, the bridge is not correct. A few other watch firms used the 727 in the 60's such as Girard Perregaux, or it could just be a good engraving job. www.doubleredseadweller.com/ has a blurb on the fake Daytonas, of which this is clearly one.

But at least the guy tells you aftermarket case, dial, etc. so you can decide if it's worth it to you to bid. You'd spend at least $1000-1500 and up putting one of these together yourself.

The seller actually states that it's a VJ72 movement, engraved with "727"...I took that to mean exactly that. You are right about the cost to build one yourself, although I think the movements alone are now drawing almost $1000.