When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 Franken On The Bay

the collector

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a stupid question. Can someone tell me how to get in touch with DW? Does anyone know if a 6265 is available in gold?

DW is selling on eBay, under the name watch.david. I suggest that you find one of his auctions, and contact him through eBay.

If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Your car can't travel at the speed of light because it would have to be pure energy to do that (only a photon can go that fast). If you COULD go that fast, they might still work if they were not smashed out by hitting something at that speed. They would be useless. Since you can only travel near the speed of light, you would see something illuminated in front of you except what you see should be distorted and shifted to ultraviolet frequencies and beyond.

Edited by Torques

Your car can't travel at the speed of light because it would have to be pure energy to do that (only a photon can go that fast). If you COULD go that fast, they might still work if they were not smashed out by hitting something at that speed. They would be useless. Since you can only travel near the speed of light, you would see something illuminated in front of you except what you see should be distorted and shifted to ultraviolet frequencies and beyond.

:

Are you sure?

:p

Negative. I know of several of those bidders, and have sold Daytona cases to a couple of them.

Collector, is it really so surprising? Think about the time and resources that you've expended in the last year, trying to achieve what this watch is offering. Does it really surpise you that people are willing to spend a few thousand on a "quick fix"?

Would anyone like to modify their earlier estimates?

@Avitt, it would not suprise me if the watch sold for around $6K, but the rate the bids are raking in and with the bidders who are putting these bids, when there is still 8 days left nobody knows where the bidding will end.

I know these bidders as i have bid against them on other items, and for me this looks only like they are warming up....

Negative. I know of several of those bidders, and have sold Daytona cases to a couple of them.

Collector, is it really so surprising? Think about the time and resources that you've expended in the last year, trying to achieve what this watch is offering. Does it really surpise you that people are willing to spend a few thousand on a "quick fix"?

Would anyone like to modify their earlier estimates?

And who's to say that one or more of the bidders couldn't somehow be related to the seller in some way, shape or form?

Who knows... The watch for sale was probably built with parts *you* sold to one of these guys and is being sold under one account, while someone else is bidding up the price. There are probably a few legit bids in there... But I wouldn't be surprised if there were more illegit bids too.

I respect your opinion, Tony, but I still stand by my prior estimate. The rate that people are bidding this watch up is suspiscious and says shill bid to me. The fact that you've sold case(s) to one or more of the bidders makes me suspect it even more so. I wouldn't be surprised if this watch was made from one of your cases, purchased from one of the bidders. The watch, a frankenstein, is just that. When you can buy the parts and a movement on the same resource/site for less and have it all assembled (for under $2.5k, I'm certain), why spend 3 - 5 times that for one that's made up of the same parts? The economics just don't add up. Anyone who's researched the parts and subject knows what these are worth.

Case kit- $300.00 to $500.00 (tops)

V72 via donor watch- $1,000.00 to $1,200.00

Dial- $300.00 via timeman... $40.00 via DW

Genuine crown/tube- $60.00

Assemble/service movement $500.00

Total- $2500.00

And, that's with someone servicing and assembling (price is based on a quote I rec'd for a base service on a V72, not counting any parts needed for replacement). Obviously, significant cost savings can be had depending on parts selection, etc.

If I were spending $6k to $12k on a watch, I could think of several other choices before paying 5 digits on a frankenstein that I could have built for 1/5th of the price. Come to think of it... That's the whole reason why I built my El Primero Daytona... I found it ridiculous paying $10k for the genuine (and that's for a gen, with box and papers!)...

Any guesses on where this will close? I say between $8k and $12k.

BTW... One last thing to consider. If someone is willing to spend $12k on a frankenstein, why not go the extra stretch to $18k to get a genuine standard 6263? They are available in this price range, verified and confirmed genuine (albeit, probably with some Rolex Service Center replacement parts and without box and papers, but it's not like a frankenstein is going to have these documents either).

Heck... Here's a 6239 for $18k...

If someone is willing to spend $12, then $18k can't be much more of a stretch for something 'real'...

And I have the greatest of respect for your opinions as well, Randy.

Nothing that you've said is incorrect. However, I think there is one flaw in your logic...You have to remember that you, I, and the others on this board are not average. We have the capability to find the missing pieces, and get the job done...sometimes all by ourselves.

Of the 6263 kits that people purchase with great ambition, what percentage do you think make it to fruition? My guess...MAYBE 20-30%....and that's probably optimistic. I know that projects are routinely abandoned, when a few bumps are encountered on the road. That's why I don't think that it's unusual to see bidders who have been active in purchasing parts in the past. You may be correct about shill bidders, but it looks to me like the same MO I've seen, by the same people, on other Daytona related auctions. These guys aren't smart bidders...they're emotional bidders.

My estimate of the final selling price is based on empirical data. In particular, there is one Canadian based seller who periodically lists similar Daytona frankens (private auctions, so I can't see who's bidding). The final selling price is consistently in the range I've suggested.

I think that this auction is doing well because the seller has a good rating, he has offered a straightforward description, and has included lots of pictures.

Heck... Here's a 6239 for $18k...

That's a real find! I love that dial, with the faded red Daytona...beautiful.

There's no explaining some people's thinking...just like our thinking can't be explained to the gen fascists.

True... The path to building frankens is indeed riddled with many speedbumps, requiring a ton of patience, knowledge and experience, and can oft times end as a pile of parts if one is not careful. I know I've been discouraged more than once... Sometimes leaving a project for another day...

But, personally, I just don't understand the logic of someone willing to spend $8k to $12k for a franken when a genuine can be had for relatively little more (+30% on $12k). These are obviously folks with some deep pockets... Or maybe a high credit limit :bangin: Personally, if I had the choice coupled with the disposable cash to do it, I would choose the genuine as a solid investment, as well as having the provenance of a gen.

Hell... Perhaps it's time to quit the day job and build frankens all day... (I wish)

Alright, the bid has been bumped up again and stands now at 5100USD and the reserve has still not been reached. My guess is that the reserve is 6000USD.

This is actually pretty fun to watch...with the smug knowledge that I've got two of these which are at least as nice....

BTW guys, i am looking for a black singer 6263 dial, do you know where i could find a perfect one with no flaws?

Keep your eyes on the 'bay. Gens show up every once in a while. They're expensive though...the last ones went for about $1800, and they showed some signs of wear.

....Heeeeeyyyyyy!....Mr. Collector?

It looks like the end of this auction coincided with the beginning of yours....Don't tell me you threw in the towel, and bought your prize.