When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 Franken On The Bay

the collector

Interesting stuff. Regarding gevril, it is actually an automatic ETA 2824, I think, coupled with dubois depraz unit on top of it. It possibly has the same subdial spacing (if he used a real dial???) and uses asymmetric pushers (they look that way on his photo). Quite an interesting idea how to build a 6263. The only thing I remember would spoil it is 20mm lug spacing. May be something else too?

The case is not the same as a Rolex 6263

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stuff. Regarding gevril, it is actually an automatic ETA 2824, I think, coupled with dubois depraz unit on top of it. It possibly has the same subdial spacing (if he used a real dial???) and uses asymmetric pushers (they look that way on his photo). Quite an interesting idea how to build a 6263. The only thing I remember would spoil it is 20mm lug spacing. May be something else too?

I heared that poljot movements are copy movements of valjoux movements. Maybe Poljot has a movement that has the same subdial spacing as a VJ23 or VJ72?

Poljots can be had for 50-60$ and are as reliable as genuine valjoux.

and I highly doubt the dubois depraz chrono module has the same subdial spacing as a VJ72/23, even if it has, its probably too large for a 6263

Edited by slay

I still think that there is something suspiscious with this seller.

And I still maintain my original opinion- Who in their right mind is going to drop between $8k - $12k for a frankenstein that can be made for fractionally less using parts that are available on the same resource? Even if you have to have a watchmaker assemble the parts and finish the project for you? Especially when one can have a very nice GENUINE watch for that money? Or, stretch it a few thousand more and buy a genuine vintage Daytona. As I have pointed out before... They ARE available in that price range if one knows where to look and is patient for the right piece.

Call it $3k- $4k... Heck call it $5k and that seems far more reasonable for a franken V72 6263.

The bidding is at $5600 , with over 8 days to go.

I'm telling you, I have a pretty good window inside the head of these vintage Daytona junkies, and logic does not always prevail.

I have a Zodiac Chronograph w/ the 2824-2 and the Dubois Depraz module. The running seconds is at three, and the 30 minute counter is at 9, so I'd be surprised if the Gevril has the 2824/DD combo, and I really wouldn't expect it to fit the Daytona dial. My Zodiac has a very thick case, also.

Interesting to note that our Franken Tona is up over 5K this morning already, and the reserve is not met yet!

The bidding is at $5600 , with over 8 days to go.

I'm telling you, I have a pretty good window inside the head of these vintage Daytona junkies, and logic does not always prevail.

Do you have any links to some of these ended auctions that closed in the figures you mentioned? I'd love to see them...And their bid histories!

Do you have any links to some of these ended auctions that closed in the figures you mentioned? I'd love to see them...And their bid histories!

Probably not, but I'll check through my copious bookmarks...

I'll make another prediction: This auction will also be ended early (once the seller receives a sufficient offer). This is to avoid paying eBay Final Value fees.

I have a Zodiac Chronograph w/ the 2824-2 and the Dubois Depraz module. The running seconds is at three, and the 30 minute counter is at 9, so I'd be surprised if the Gevril has the 2824/DD combo, and I really wouldn't expect it to fit the Daytona dial. My Zodiac has a very thick case, also.

Interesting to note that our Franken Tona is up over 5K this morning already, and the reserve is not met yet!

That's exactly how Gevril layout is: seconds at 3, 30 min counter at 9. And I remeber it has thick case. Almost positive it's 2824/DD combination. (see picture) Whether seller is giving all info right on it, I don't know.

post-171-1162403967_thumb.jpg

My guess is that the Gevril seller is using a replica dial designed for the 7750. This looks like a very poor option for building a Daytona rep. The case is too thick, the bezel looks too thick, the pushers are symmetrical. Also (if it's the same as the 2894-2 DD based Heuer Monza that i have) the pushers and the crown are not on the same plane.

Now that I look at the Gevril dial, I'll agree w/ the 2824/DD set up. Zodiac, and Daniel Jean Richard also use that set-up. How this guy made a Daytona is beyond me, unless he put in a 7750/7753. Otherwise, you'd have some screwed up subdials. And why not just buy a Daytona rep w/ the 7750?

The dial looks like it comes from Timeman (has the same "Nanuq" font error as mine). Engraving looks like it was done by hand. The bridge is incorrect for a 727 movement.

Overall, not bad looking.

Wheels should be gold plated and there is no microstella. balance bridge is wrong, pretty obvious vj72

Funny how these are supposed to be selling for $8k to $12k, yet the one auction I see listed ended at $3k...

I'm not sure what you're looking at, Randy. Surely, you've seen these:

Recently closed at $9100

Currently at $6100, with 3.5 days to go

...It's OK, man. I fully realize that "A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown, and among his own kin, and in his own house." Mark 6:4