When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Of Heaven

Nanuq

For everyone who always wanted to visit Alaska but hasn't made it here yet, here's a little taste. This is from

the far end of Eklutna lake, where the river comes in from the glacier. The pointy mountain framed in the valley

is The Mitre and it delineates an ice field about as big as the state of Rhode Island.

Enjoy! :wub:

135107-18350.jpg

• 1 month later...
It was 40 degrees on my bike this morning... still shorts weather! 29 degrees last week.

Here's another one of Eklutna lake

158141-13140.jpg

Here's the long approach over Near Point to Wolverine Peak. This was a couple weeks ago, now there's a foot of snow up there.

158141-13141.jpg

Here's Lost Lake at the head of the valley

158141-13142.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!!!

I've Always heard the Alaskan cruises were awesome..do you reccomend?..I'm in Fla, so a summer escape from the wicked hot temps here would be nice...we went to Nova Scotia this summer , but this is enticing!

Thanks for posting these pics and shaing your lovely State..

Perfect! All that's missing is a bunch of buildings, a Starbucks (or Peet's) on every corner, clogged highways and some brown smog! Add those to the scene, and I'm so there!

just kidding!

Paradise! Absolute paradise... But, I hope they have at least a couple of 10G connections up there (just a few; like 20 or so) for highspeed access. Can't live without RWG, you know!

When I was a kid, I used to think about taking a nice long touring trip that headed through BC, Canada and then just drive to Alaska. Now that I am near retirement age, your pictures brings this back to mind as a possibility for a summer trip.

Is this possible?

Good roads all the way?

Anyone done this?

How far can you get?

Might come up some day and say hi.

Usil

Thanks for the information. I have now added this to my list of fun trips to take. It would be a nice slow trip as I hate traveling long distances each day. This would be a photo trip for me and I potentially would take the entire summer doing this.

I have to see polar bears once in my life in their natural environment, preferably not within eating distance.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Ah, thank you all! I've been here so long that it's easy to get jaded by the place. Then once in awhile you look around and you suck in your breath and suddenly realize just what it is you've got...

Us urbanites can get that too, only in a completely different way.

I get jaded with Paris and then, one day, crossing the river, catch a glimpse of the Seine with the sunlight, some landmarks and awesome beauty and it floors me.

I always think of Ferris Bueller in this case: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." ... so go ahead, take a day off.

ps. I'm going to visit. I can't not.