When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown Info...

automatico

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Here is some more crown info from a thread in January 2019.

https://rwg.cc/topic/193353-rolex-crown-free-wheeling-is-it-repairable/

Timelord:

"Have a new 7.0mm crown which does nothing upon turning it in either direction !  Sometimes it just moves the hands a bit but then keeps slipping!"

amc:

Check the spring before taking it apart...does it have enough tension to push the setting works from time set position to winding position before it contacts the case tube threads (assuming the stem is cut to the correct length)?  Does it always snap back into the extended position when 'push in' pressure is released? 

To check the clutch, remove the crown and stem from the watch and hold the stem in soft jaw pliers or a pin vise and see if the crown slips internally while turning the crown both ways with a little bit of 'pull apart' tension applied to the stem and crown.  It should not slip when 'pulled apart' and turn freely when compressed.

The crown clutch, tube and all will unscrew from the crown cap on 7mm crowns with the steel or gold 'bottle caps' crimped over a base metal inner frame.  The last one I had apart was the type of crown made with a skirt for the O ring on the outside of the case tube so it was a later model.  I use a 'ww' type chuck in an old 8mm 'watchmaker lathe' to grip the clutch tube and hold the lathe still by the drive pulley while unscrewing the cap from the tube.  A pin vise will work if you can get it tight enough to keep it from slipping and scratching the outside of the tube.  Once it is apart the trouble will be easy to spot...maybe a weak spring, maybe a bad center tube where the stem screws in etc. 

Use Loctite when putting it back together, taking care not to get any inside the clutch.  Also use a tiny bit of grease on the internal clutch parts...KT22 etc.

I have not tried to remove a tube and clutch assembly from a later 'mono block' type 7mm crown. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

"It is a triplock 8mm crown."

I was surprised because I figured it was a regular 7mm submariner crown.  I read 4 or 5 reviews on the watch before posting anything and no one mentioned the crown other than it was a screw down crown.

"Where can I find an aftermarket one with the tube?"

No idea unless one of the TDs can supply them.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

"What are the crown tube dimensions for the 50s oyster perpetual? I believe they came with the 6mm crown. Does that mean they also had the 3mm x 0.35mm crown tube?"

Most of them are the same depending on the watch reference number.  Some models might have the 'Super Oyster' crowns carried over from the early 1950s but I do not know when they were cut from production.

The 'Super Oyster' was not too hot, they tended to wear out sooner than anticipated.

The oldest watch I have is a 1956 6605 DJ and it has a regular 6.0mm crown and case tube...send the watch reference number by PM and I can look it up and see what crown and case tube it came with.  

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Anan Sacdpraseuth said:

So difficult to find replacement part for my Rolex case 16200  as crown that fit must be 24-603

Can I use the 24-600 to my case 16200

Most of my experience is with vintage pre-1990 (16xx) Datejusts, which used the 24-600, so take this with a grain of salt --

I believe the later 5-digit Datejusts (eg, the 16200) need the later 24-603. As I recall, the differences lie in each crowns' inner (stem) tube assembly. The 600 contained a screw-in (ie, removeable) inner tube assembly (if interested, you can search out my thread detailing an inner tube transplant from a 600 Twinlock to a Brevet crown) & had a slightly larger diameter, while the inner tube on the 603 was slightly narrower & was NOT removeable. That said, I believe the case-side  case tube threading  -- where the case tube screws into the side of the case -- is the same for both case tubes. The only difference should be the diameter of the opening inside the case tube through which the crown's inner tube assembly fits through. As long as you have the correct (matching) case tube for your crown, either crown/tube should fit the 16200. But, again, as I do not work on many 5-digit Datejusts, I cannot guarantee fitment of the 603 to your case without replacing the case tube.

So, unless someone else knows for certain or you are able to purchase a 600 with return privileges, I would suggest searching for the correct 24-603 to avoid problems or having to replace the case tube.

rolex crowns 600 v 603.jpg

• Thanks 1

Freddy is right...the 603 is basically a 6.0mm crown that uses a 5.3mm case tube.

Genuine 162xx DJ all use 603 type crowns with 5.3mm 'no broach' case tubes.

'No broach' = case tubes do not need to be broached to accept the crown post like older case tubes.

If you have a 162xx type watch with a 5.3mm case tube and do not have a 603 crown, you can use a regular 5.3mm crown until you find a 603.

I saved quite a few used 'take off' crowns but ended up with very few 603 type crowns, stainless or gold.  Most are regular type gold 5.3mm and regular 6.0mm gold crowns.  Many need to have the crown post/clutch assembly swapped out because of a defect or needing a crown cap with better threads in order to make a good crown.

A pin vise will usually remove the crown clutch without damage but if it slips, it can rough up the crown post.  I use a 'WW' lathe collet in a 'WW' type lathe to remove the crown post by tightening the collet on the crown post with the drawbar, hold the lathe pulley with one hand, and unscrew the crown from the post/clutch assembly using padded pliers in the other hand.

All the above deals with crowns with 'crimped crown caps'.  Later 'monobloc' type crowns have a one piece cap.  

'Crimped crown cap' = the crown cap is a separate part crimped over a nickel silver base.  They are easy to spot from the back side and earlier 162xx watches will have crimped crown caps unless they have been swapped out.

The crowns pictured in Freddy's post above both have crimped crown caps.

Monobloc type crown...

Rolex Rare & GENUINE Ø5.20mm CROWN MONOBLOC 18K YELLOW GOLD TWINLOCK

Here are the 'takeoff' crowns a couple years ago, maybe used 6 or 8 since then...

IMG_0392.thumb.JPG.f609468f753f7bb60ab6348062e33d38.JPG

The complete thread from October 2021...

"Are those holding 1030 movements? If so I get the first two..." - The Rolex Area - RWG