When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Safari Arrived Today, My Authentic vs. Replica Pictures

DD GT3 RD

AP SAFARI on diver strap.

The diver strap is amazingly comfortable. Deciding wether I am going to keep it on the diver or put the hornback on. I do prefer the look of the hornback and the brown is gorgeous.

AP SAFARI on diver strap.

The diver strap is amazingly comfortable. Deciding wether I am going to keep it on the diver or put the hornback on. I do prefer the look of the hornback and the brown is gorgeous.

The rep has no silver lining around the numbers which makes a HUGE difference. The numbers don't pop at all without it. The watch reflects light very differently on the bezel and the window. They both are pretty loud when shaken and you can hear the internals almost equally. Date window on rep looks very different, not as clear and different placement.

Im glad that the reps aren't exact. This was my first replica and only got it to wear to see if I want the real thing. I have to say im not a big fan of people wearing them but just thought I'd share my experience. Thanks for all your help!

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

ORIGINAL HORNBACK STRAP

IMG_0713.jpg

AUTHENIC w/ Diver Strap ..... Faux with leather strap

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

FAUX

IMG_0717.jpg

Later in day I had the the hornback put on.

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

Another excellent AP review. Thanks for sharing!

While there are definitely some flaws in the rep, overall it's a pretty good copy when taken in the context of the rep vs gen dollar ratio.

I like the gen with the hornback so much better. Don't know, but whether it's a gen or rep rubber strap, it just doesn't seem to compliment a fine high end time piece like the ROO as well as fine hand crafted leather. But that's just me.

Another excellent AP review. Thanks for sharing!

While there are definitely some flaws in the rep, overall it's a pretty good copy when taken in the context of the rep vs gen dollar ratio.

I like the gen with the hornback so much better. Don't know, but whether it's a gen or rep rubber strap, it just doesn't seem to compliment a fine high end time piece like the ROO as well as fine hand crafted leather. But that's just me.

Its a genuine diver/rubber strap

Thanks for the review! Guess you would sell the rep now that you have the gen?

not sure. Contemplated selling it or putting the diver/rubber strap on the Rep and using it as a beater. Tonight I went to shoot pool and actually wore the Rep cause I know I bang my hand reaching in the pockets and leaning on the table.

"Im not a big fan of people wearing them" :g: odd comment to make at a replica forum.

If you have a extra $15.000 or whatever to spend on a watch...well thats just great..but most of us dont have that kind of scratch to spend on a watch...most of us anyway....and even If we did.

Please clarify...are you just not a fan of people wearing this particular rep...since you have the gen....or are you not a fan of anyone wearing any rep...reguardles of brand...just curious.

Mike

PS....nice AP btw

Im meant im not a fan of people wearing replicas claiming to be real. Im not gonna put someone down for it or talk bad. It doesnt offend me. I like how watchmeister put it, I did it as a test drive.

This was my first experience with replicas, never really knew about them before. But when I received mine I felt funny wearing it. Like I was trying to be something im not even thou I knew I was looking to get the authentic. I go on a watch forum and shared that and some people went off on me, which I understand but dont think its that big of a deal at all. When I said "im not a fan" im just saying for myself. I now know I wouldnt get a replica again, maybe I would do what I did this time and test drive one.

I got a lot of "if you can afford it then thats it, dont buy a replica if you cant" or "you are trying to be something you arent" which I sort of agree with. But then there are cases where you just like it and dont care about status etc...although im sure plenty do. Then some said you are stealing a design from a company that takes time and money making these watches, how would you feel if some company just stole your ideas/design and started selling knock offs of it? I thought it would suck and Id probably be upset.

Im not judging or talking down, although I can say a few did that to me. So when I said im not a fan I just meant for myself. Obviously I took the time to share the pics and some details with everyone in here, as some of you were very helpful to me. So thank you.

Edited by DD GT3 RD

Everyone is entitled to their own approach on gens, reps, frankens, etc. The one thing I would say (and you learned the hard way) is to avoid posting reps or experiences regarding reps on gen forums. Feel free to spend time wherever you want but we very much discourage discussing reps (posting pics and links is actually verbotten here) on gen forums as all it does is infuriate the gen guys and serves no purpose from the rep perspective There is no reason to hide as the rep market is a huge market and in reality there is not much the gen forums or brands can do about it but there are plenty of folks on this and the other rep forums who are also gen collectors and participate on both.

• Like 1

What will be interesting to see is which way your horological interests steer you. Over the years many of us have gone from gens to reps or reps to gens or reps to frankens, etc. And of course the amusing part is that if you do this long enough life is always a big circle. I am at the phase where simply buying and owning (whether rep or gen) is not particularly exciting. Been there and done that. I get more pleasure out of the projects and the friends who you do them with. The projects just happen to be watches. :)

• Like 1

The Wise old man speak gold again ;) --- I think I am rep to frankens. Just going and buying a gen from a shop is not a fair deal!!.. the pleasure of wait and the journey of making a franken step by step would give more pleasure. And I think it doesn't stop there one still keeps getting the juice of the hard work in the form of compliments and appreciation when one wears the watch.

• Like 1

Im meant im not a fan of people wearing replicas claiming to be real. Im not gonna put someone down for it or talk bad. It doesnt offend me. I like how watchmeister put it, I did it as a test drive.

This was my first experience with replicas, never really knew about them before. But when I received mine I felt funny wearing it. Like I was trying to be something im not even thou I knew I was looking to get the authentic. I go on a watch forum and shared that and some people went off on me, which I understand but dont think its that big of a deal at all. When I said "im not a fan" im just saying for myself. I now know I wouldnt get a replica again, maybe I would do what I did this time and test drive one.

I got a lot of "if you can afford it then thats it, dont buy a replica if you cant" or "you are trying to be something you arent" which I sort of agree with. But then there are cases where you just like it and dont care about status etc...although im sure plenty do. Then some said you are stealing a design from a company that takes time and money making these watches, how would you feel if some company just stole your ideas/design and started selling knock offs of it? I thought it would suck and Id probably be upset.

Im not judging or talking down, although I can say a few did that to me. So when I said im not a fan I just meant for myself. Obviously I took the time to share the pics and some details with everyone in here, as some of you were very helpful to me. So thank you.

I went to edit my post...and I got one of those blank error pages...could very well be something on my side.

:g:

Anyway...thanks for the clairification...and enjoy your new AP

Mike

Appreciate the insight to the above two. I always say do what makes YOU happy.

I do buy all my watches pre-owned. Not into getting ripped off or losing money once I put it on my wrist!

Exactly. the interesting question is if you hang around long enough will "what makes you happy" change. ;) On the gen side your philosophy on buying is exactly what 99.9% of the population here subscribes to. Never buy a gen new. Let someone else absorb the initial 40% depreciation of a new watch. :)