When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Safari Arrived Today, My Authentic vs. Replica Pictures

DD GT3 RD

Very good stuff. Watchmeister is the grand daddy of blazing trails for franken builders around here. And as he says it will indeed be interesting to see how your desires change the longer you hang around. I suspect in the not to distant future, we'll be seeing you knee deep in a franken project of one sort or another.

Anyhow, thanks again for the extra pictures. You've got a beautiful watch there.

Gorgeous Safari, always wanted one!!!

I am like you OP, and well like many on here.... But like you as I have just discovered this scene, and merely couldn't get over how accurate/unbelievable these reps looked that I just had to try one out to start (and compare it to a gen of mine) being the PAM 359.... After getting it , looking it over, then grabbing mine and comparing... It made me think, WHY SPEND THAT MONEY?!?! Well, then when you put on the genuine piece and wear it out, you just feel alright doing so, with the rep? Not so much, I feel like I have to hide it, and like i'm trying to be something i'm not... It helped me although with my decision on a black face rubberclad... Picked up a rep of it and loved the way it wore and fit, and eventually found a used one on TZ for a good deal and scooped it up, love it very much so and don't regret that one bit.

Congrats and enjoy

• 10 months later...

Im meant im not a fan of people wearing replicas claiming to be real. Im not gonna put someone down for it or talk bad. It doesnt offend me. I like how watchmeister put it, I did it as a test drive.

This was my first experience with replicas, never really knew about them before. But when I received mine I felt funny wearing it. Like I was trying to be something im not even thou I knew I was looking to get the authentic. I go on a watch forum and shared that and some people went off on me, which I understand but dont think its that big of a deal at all. When I said "im not a fan" im just saying for myself. I now know I wouldnt get a replica again, maybe I would do what I did this time and test drive one.

I got a lot of "if you can afford it then thats it, dont buy a replica if you cant" or "you are trying to be something you arent" which I sort of agree with. But then there are cases where you just like it and dont care about status etc...although im sure plenty do. Then some said you are stealing a design from a company that takes time and money making these watches, how would you feel if some company just stole your ideas/design and started selling knock offs of it? I thought it would suck and Id probably be upset.

Im not judging or talking down, although I can say a few did that to me. So when I said im not a fan I just meant for myself. Obviously I took the time to share the pics and some details with everyone in here, as some of you were very helpful to me. So thank you.

Agreed. I have a gen Rolex, Cartier etc. But I feel that buying good reps is good too, ESP in developing countries and when you travel to certain places. It wouldn't feel as bad if u got robbed or if u bang it accidentally due to the bumpy ride. For me, it's more of a risk management thing. I'd wear the gen as frequent as I wear the reps, but it matters where I go. I don't see it as if u can't afford it, don't pretend like you can, but more so as a means to maximize our happiness while managing risks:D and as you said, keeping your rep to have it knocked around serves its function well :) but again, a watch is a status symbol. So see it as u may.

This forum is great though, and the people are helpful :)

• 4 weeks later...

What will be interesting to see is which way your horological interests steer you. Over the years many of us have gone from gens to reps or reps to gens or reps to frankens, etc. And of course the amusing part is that if you do this long enough life is always a big circle. I am at the phase where simply buying and owning (whether rep or gen) is not particularly exciting. Been there and done that. I get more pleasure out of the projects and the friends who you do them with. The projects just happen to be watches. :)

Haven't got to the reps--> franken yet. That'd be exciting :D

Guest Daytona1984

couldn't agree more :-)

What will be interesting to see is which way your horological interests steer you. Over the years many of us have gone from gens to reps or reps to gens or reps to frankens, etc. And of course the amusing part is that if you do this long enough life is always a big circle. I am at the phase where simply buying and owning (whether rep or gen) is not particularly exciting. Been there and done that. I get more pleasure out of the projects and the friends who you do them with. The projects just happen to be watches. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice thread.

Nice pics of a great watch.

Insightful posts.

I still rotate many beautiful rep watches on pretty much a daily basis.

Even if I had a bunch of dough I would never own as many beautiful gen watches as I do reps.

Many on this forum have advocated the principle of quality...not quantity.

I agree with that premise, but rotating 10 to 15 nicely crafted reps is only possible for me...because they are reps.

10 to 15 gens of the watches I wear regularly would have cost me in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Certainly not feasible for a guy like me.

I am not the least bit concerned about impressing others with which watch I am wearing.

99% of the people on the planet don't even notice.

For me it is all about loving a particular timepiece, and the enjoyment of wearing it.

Rep or gen.

This post is a good example of what I am talking about. In the comparison pics, I find both watches so similar that it amazes me that

one costs 400 or 500.00, while the other is 15,000.00 plus. BOTH are equally handsome IMO. The subtle differences (or glaring) are

lost for the most part. So often too, wearing a well made rep with a gen strap or bracelet can make all the difference.

But as is often said around here...that's just me.

I aplaude Mr DD on his good taste.

Edited by jeff g

right proportions and colors (and ofc superior finishing) makes the gen really lovable, and rep looks "ok" in comparison. i really want a gen one myself but too bad my girls wrists cant pull APROO's :( (even the ROC sits awkward due to angle of lugs)

superb watch wear it in good health!

I always tell guys here.. if I can pull off ROOs, there is no excuse for anyone else to say "my wrist is too small for ROO" I have a wrist thats smaller than 6". Beat that. :D