When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you smell?

thamayor214

THANK YOU to all the guys that answered and stayed on topic. I noticed a couple of scents I will like to try/smell. BTW my wife, back then my girlfriend, gave me the time of day (her words) because she like a man that smells good (I was wearing JPG Le Male)..

THANK YOU to all the guys that answered and stayed on topic. I noticed a couple of scents I will like to try/smell. BTW my wife, back then my girlfriend, gave me the time of day (her words) because she like a man that smells good (I was wearing JPG Le Male)..

I also want to say "thank you" to the great members here who stayed on topic....I too have seen some newer scents that I havent heard about before.

Im looking foward to trying some of those out.

This has turned out to be a very Informative thread....thanks to all of those members who have participated so far. Please keep them comming. :)

Mike

Did anyone see the Big Bang Theory episode where they buy Drakkar Noir off eBay? I liked that stuff back then.

I havent seen BBT episode Nanuq..but Drakkar Is one the most famous colognes ever. I first tried it as a teen. early 80's. It's been a top seller for almost thrity years.

It has a nice fresh green soapy earthy smell to It...with a woody dry down.

Many people say that It reminds them of being out doors...maybe a forest.. after a heavy rain. I can see why you liked it. :)

Mike

OP: How do you smell?

I don't...

For starters, most people can't tell the difference between Axe Body Spray (puke), Ball Sweat from a Bull, or some $400 and ounce cologne. I know MORE ladies/women who are revolted by a guy who smells more then them.

P.S.A.

I will plead, for myself and other allergy sufferers out there, that if you MUST wear cologne/perfume, please--

1.) Don't bathe in it, you should only be "smellable" from an "intimate" distance or 1". You should only need a "dab" on your pulse points (neck, wrists, etc.)

2.) NEVER wear cologne/perfume to a Wine Tasting, or other high caliber/gourmet restaurant or food tasting. (You ruin it for others who really care about the experience)

Thanks for listening, and please DO enjoy your scents if you are so inclined, but please be considerate.

From the personal experience of a colleague of mine regarding scents, I know that some people have olfactory senses so highly developed that the merest hint of a scent is actually painful to them.

I used some Axe-type spray when I was working in an environment prone to sweating, and took this can to work. My colleague winced when he saw it, and told me the chemicals in those types of sprays irritated his sense of smell, and that he would much rather smell perspiration.

I agree that sitting on a plane for several hours next to a person wearing too much overpowering perfume (cheap or expensive) is really annoying, even as someone who doesn't suffer from this effect.

I flew on a transcontinental flight with this colleague, he wrapped his head up with a blanket and it's only until afterwards that I realized why. Poor guy.

Onto point, I have JPG Le male, the stuff is great. Musky scents for blokes, lightly applied, always work well.

I should add, having gotten back into wet shaving with a badger brush and old school double edge razor, i'm using Taylor's of Bond Street Sandalwood shaving cream. It leaves a very delicate scent that invites a person in to smell you further, and i don't wear after-shave after shaving. Colognes with base notes of sandalwood are similar, very elegant, sophisticated manly fragrances use it.

...every day differently...

update.jpg

Nice collection you have there. I am currently at 260 bottles of fragrances. I store them all in the den and when the fiancée has friends over she tells them I work in the industry so no one thinks I am crazy. I get a little crazy when it comes to fragrances and watches.

Nice collection you have there. I am currently at 260 bottles of fragrances. I store them all in the den and when the fiancée has friends over she tells them I work in the industry so no one thinks I am crazy. I get a little crazy when it comes to fragrances and watches.

Would love to see a picture of your collection..260 bottles...now that would be a sight to behold. :)

Im thinking a wide lens would be in order. ;)

Mike

For all perfume lovers, check out this website: http://www.basenotes.net

Very informative and usefull.

My everyday collection at this point, in random order:

La Martina Bayres hombre

Marc Jacobs for men

Cartier Roadster Sport

Montblanc Legend & Starwalker

Lacoste Elegance

Burberry London

Ralph Lauren Safari

I don't wear cologne much anymore. I found the comment about "as I got older. . ." to ring true for me - that and the fact that sitting next to someone for hours at a shot in close quarters (with the outflow valves under our feet) we get bombarded by enough smells. Many of the women (thankfully) wear subtle or sweet scents - and I don't mean sickly sweet, as one described "like fresh baked cookies".

I used to wear Tuscany in college and into my early 30's. My wife gave me some C/K Man last year for Christmas.

I noticed a couple of people that use Tom Ford does it smell like any other scent?

A few of them smell similar to other fragrances, but there are subtle differences. My favorite from the collection is Italian Cypress. It is a wonderful scent and not many people wear it that I have encountered.