Welcome to RWG - The original

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KB

TeeJay

37 posts in this topic

A brother to all

Today I am interviewing a member who needs no real introduction from me. TeeJay has not only been a very active long term member of RWG but through his willingness to go out of his way to help others and his ability to bond would undoubtedly rank him as one of the board leading lights.

KB: Hello TeeJay and thank you for agreeing to this interview.

TeeJay: Hi Ken, and no worries, I'm honored to be considered for interview, and really looking forward to seeing what questions you have in store for me :)

KB: So let’s start with the TeeJay story, have you always had a love for mechanical watches or is it something that came later in life?

TJ: Specifically mechanical watches were definitely a 'later' thing for me, as I didn't get into them till my late twenties, but I have been 'interested in watches' since my Nan gave me my very first watch as a child

KB: And tell us a little about your collection or the watches that have passed through your hands over the years.

TJ: Well, that very first watch was digital, with an SS bracelet and case, dark blue surrounding the display, a light, and the 'pips' between the hours and minutes flashed on the second. Absolutely no idea where it is now, maybe my Mum kept it, maybe she threw it out when the battery died, I really couldn't say: pardon: But, that was my first watch, and what got the ball rolling. The first watch to truly grab my attention, was the Seiko Sport in Octopussy (and Kristina Wayborn was the first blonde to get my attention as well :wub: ) As I got older, I would spend hours looking at the watches in catalogues, trying to work out what each button did I also tended to get a new watch every year, normally the same or similar to the watch of a friend who is exactly a week younger than me. We never went to the same schools, but our mothers met while we were due and stayed friends, so we were only able to meet up during school holidays, but watches were always something we bonded over. Sadly, we don't really keep in touch as much any more, as our social circles are quite different (he's a pilot for BA and flies all over) but the last time we ran into each other, he was wearing some kind of Breitling, and I was wearing an Omega SMP (his gen, mine a rep, a fitting analogy of how our careers panned out... ) My current collection is primarily Rolex-based. When I was younger and read On Her Majesty's Secret Service, it really stuck in my mind that Bond wore a Rolex. My first mechanical watch was a 16610 Submariner from EuroFakes. At the time, I had the cash to buy a gen, but after trying one on, I was so underwhelmed, I wasn't prepared to spend that much money on something which didn't totally grab me by the balls, so I looked online for 'fake Rolexes', and that was the purchase I made In the last few years, I went through Rolex, Omega and Panerai, but when the time came to re-build my collection after my wedding, Rolex was the name on my wrist, (my first truly custom build, and one which still influences a planned project) and that's who I've stuck with since, well, obviously Tudor as well, but they're pretty much the same difference given the lineage of the companies. At present, my collection comprises a few watches for daily and 'occasional' wear, and a few projects on the back burner awaiting completion :)

KB: Modding your own watches is something you seem to enjoy these days, tell us some of the trials and tribulations you have encountered in this branch of our hobby.

TJ: I've always loved 'custom' anything, so I guess it's only natural that I feel the same about watches. For the most part, the only real issues I've had with modding have been financial restriction, and accidents caused by my own clumsiness (attempts to regulate my 42mm Planet Oceans resulted in the death of both movements) but I think the satisfaction which comes from wearing a project watch, looking down and thinking 'I made that', is a totally unique feeling, and one sweeter than almost any other in terms of Grail Acquisition :) I have a custom piece in the back of my mind which I want to build, as with everything in my life at the moment, it is simply a matter of 'time and money', but it will get built when the time is right ;) I've also been incredibly lucky to have been gifted parts by some of the forum's most esteemed members, and those parts are in the watches (and watches in the making) which mean the most to me. Once again, many thanks, amigos :drunk:

KB: And would you recommend others to attempt modding their watches or do you believe it is only for the truly keen?

TJ: I think that it depends very much on a person's tastes towards watches, what that person wants out of a watch, more than anything else. If someone wants a very specific watch, such as Freddy's Albino 6542, a Tudor Snowflake, or a 7432 Monte Carlo, the only way to get one (bar getting lucky in the sales section) is to actually build it. The same applies for if someone was to want a vintage model watch to appear the true age for the watch, they need to artificially age it themselves (or send it to a modder, of course) so from that perspective, Out Of The Box watches are not necessarily for everyone with 'specifics' in mind. Of course, the flipside to that argument is that some watches, such as the Tudor Heritage, would not really gain anything from modding... What I mean by that, is that in terms of replication, the Heritage has so many flaws in replication, bracelet and clasp, position of date window, sub-dial markings and functions, 'baseplate surrounds', that without changing them all (and of course, the sub-dial functions and date window are impossible to alter) there is no point in doing other things like swapping the bracelet clasp, as the other flaws will always still be present, so given it would be impractical to mod, it is a watch which must therefore stand on its own merits 'as a watch', and be appreciated for what it is, rather than dismissed for what it isn't... I absolutely love mine. I acquired it via trade through three very esteemed forum members, and I believe that it was potentially the first Heritage rep to actually enter our community's 'sphere of reference', so I wouldn't change it if I could, nor would I ever want to 'upgrade' if a more accurate model was released. Afterall, what would that give me, other than a 45 minute stopwatch, instead of this one which can time a full hour :pardon:To get back on point of modding though, I would encourage anyone with a little patience and the necessary skills who does want a specific watch, to give modding a try, as it is incredibly rewarding :)

KB: I know your art is very important to you, how is that going these days? Are you still selling works?

TJ: Art is very important to me, and in very diverse ways . For example, in the room with me at the moment, I have an antique gold model of the USS Defiant, a vase with Vulcan caligraphy on it, a foot-tall rocksalt lamp, an African tribal mask, and various items from Japan. All artistic, all different, but each equally important to me. With regards my work as an artist, I'm afraid to say that It's not going as well as I had hoped it would a few years back when I decided to focus more on my artistic skills. Sadly, the economic climate has not been one suited for an artist, so it's a rare occasion when I actually sell a piece of artwork (and by artwork, I mean anything from a piece of canvas wall art, so something like a painted vase or crafted piece) The last piece I sold, was a wand (yes, as in Harry Potter) carved from Silver Birch. It was purchased by a reiki healer, who then had the bare shaft augmented by adding Native American medicine pieces, from another seller, and then proceeded to immediately include it in her healing treatments :) I think my satisfaction came not from the sale, but actually seeing something I had made, being appreciated and used by its new owner. Another project I am working on for myself, is crafting a traditional hilt for my Highlander katana, following damage to the dragon's head. It's actually going to be a complete transformation of the sword, and will include a new hand-guard, and new end caps for the hilt itself, which I am currently carving by hand from some wooden slats I salvaged from an old wardrobe. It's a slow process, but as I won't be buying the 'blade furniture' any time soon, there's no point in rushing the carving process, and I hope that pays off in the end. On the other hand, I am gradually building up more of a clientèle for tattooing, in fact, I have a consultation with someone this afternoon, so I truly feel that tattooing is where my future career lies :)

KB: And of course how is the famous TeeJay Tatt going?

TJ: Frustratingly slowly :D The friend who first allowed me to try his tattoo equipment sadly hasn't had any time for tattooing lately. His fiancé has just had their first baby, and he started a new job, so he has absolutely no time to work on me. Also, me allowing him to do a practice piece on me (it would have been rude to refuse, after he let me try his equipment when I barely knew him) lead to a rift with the artist who began the dragon on my back. Ironically, he has also had to give up tattooing, but due to a severe back condition, so even if he was to forgive the 'insult' to his professional pride ( :bangin: ) it's not as if he'd be in a condition to continue the project anyway :pardon: Fortunately, I'm friends with a couple of good artists via Facebook, and they're willing to continue with the project, but of course, that will be as paid work, rather than me donating the skin for someone to learn on, so it will definitely have to wait for my financial situation to improve :D:bangin:

KB: Of course if I am going to do this interview right then we do have to touch on the subject of religion. I know it must be very trying at times with societies attitude towards Muslims but one thing that often impresses me when these discussions arise on our board and that is the manner in which you calmly and precisely answer every question and challenge directed to you or your religion. One question that always seem to surface is ‘How can the vast majority of law abiding muslims not be able to control these splinter terrorist groups?’ They are after all sons and daughters. What is your thoughts on this?

TJ: I think the only way I can answer that, is by using a non-religious example to illustrate the mind-set involved which allows such things to happen:How can parents not know that their daughters are showing their asses on webcams, or that their sons run up huge phone bills to long distance girlfriends? It's not until they get that bill in, or walk into the study while Pippy Longstockings is putting on a floorshow, that they realize what is actually going on... I would say that it is the exact same situation with the friends and families of those radicalized few: They simply do not know what is going on until it is too late... Less than ideal, I know, but sadly, that is one way in which respecting the privacy of others can have less than positive results :( I think anyone who has actually read the Qur'an, would understand how the murder of innocents is a totally forbidden action. It is just a shame that there are those radical clerics who distort the words and manipulate their students for their own purposes, and more of a shame that the Political Machine, has decided to use Islam as this era's 'collective enemy', much like the McCarthy era fear and scaremongering about Communism... :( As said on X-Files The truth is out there...

KB: Being a westerner who practises Islam do you often find yourself faced with awkward situations such as the shaking the wrong hand bit?

TJ: I think the hardest thing, is actually in my day to day interactions with others, such as with Emily's co-workers. I fear that many wouldn't be able to understand my choice to convert to Islam as anything other than "So why do you want to blow things up??" so it's easier to simply not share that information with them. Outside of my immediate family, maybe only five of my close friends know that I am a Muslim. While that might raise the potential issue for why I won't eat a pizza with ham on it, given the unlikely nature of such a situation, I find it easier to risk such situations occuring, than to deal with the potential ignorance of people I have to interact with due to my wife, if I was to make my religious choice public knowledge :pardon: I mean, sure, if they were genuinely interested, then I would gladly explain to them, but sadly there is so much Islamophobia about these days, there are people who quite simply "wouldn't get it", and wouldn't be able to deal with it, so it's much easier for me to keep it private and save the inevitable reactions. When I've encountered Arabic and Asian Muslims, I think they found it strange that a white guy would be a Muslim, but our belief has always been the common ground which allowed us to get on. To be honest, even with Emily's co-workers, it is not an issue which has yet arisen, but I think it's one easier avoided than raised.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KB: Ok five minutes of fame…

Age?

TJ: 33

KB: Occupation?

TJ: Art consultant (If anyone was to pay me :D )

KB: Favourite Movie?

TJ: There are so many... There are some films which I can watch over and over again, others which I only watch once in a while. I love 2 Fast 2 Furious just as much as I love Magnum Force, but to name a few, Ice Cold in Alex, Highlander, Blade Runner, Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock, Dirty Harry, Brother, Tron: Legacy, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I, Robot, Trading Places, Seven Samurai, Double Indemnity, Vertigo, The Last Seduction, American Psycho, Bad Boys I & II, Interview with the Vampire, Blade Trilogy, BMX Bandits, Stickmen, Akira, Pulp Fiction... I could keep listing all day...

KB: Favourite book?

TJ: The Qur'a-- haha, only kidding :D My favorite book is The Ninja, by Eric van Lustbader. Sure, his work is formulaic, but he sometimes mentions Patek Phillipe watches, and he writes some pretty good fight scenes. I've always tried to picture what Justine would look like :wub:

KB: Eat in or dine out?

TJ: I think it depends... When I want Chinese, then I like to dine out, there's a place in town which does awesome caramel seasame chicken :wub: Equally, I'm quite happy to throw a handful of frozen kebab meat in the microwave for a DIY sandwich. And although you didn't ask the beer/wine/spirits question, totally depends on my mood. For the most part, I like South American beers like Brahma, Corona and Sol, but at Emily's work Christmas bash Saturday (damn there were some embarrassed people after that :D ) I spent the evening nursing ten shots of Apple Sourz in a pint glass, over the course of 5 hours, so stayed sober enough to enjoy the 'Live Entertainment' :tu:

KB: The watch you hope they will one day rep?

TJ: Without any thought or hesitation, the Tudor Snowflake. Why there is not a commercial rep of this already... :bangin::pardon::g:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KB: Well that’s a wrap, I thank you for joining me today and answering these few questions TeeJay and letting the membership learn that little bit more about you.

TJ: It's been a pleasure, Ken, thanks for the opportunity, I hope my ramblings will be of interest :D Thanks again, my friend, season's greetings to everyone :thumbsupsmileyanim::drunk:

I’ll leave you all with this thought;

Christmas is fast approaching, this is a celebration that TeeJay as a Muslim will not participate in, but one of the nice values of Christmas is peace and goodwill to your fellow man, that’s Teejay in a nut shell.

Ken

Great read guys!! Thanks so much for sharing! :tu:

Im sorry to say that I have never heard of this TeaJay fellow before now..strange. :g:

Thank you T and Ken for this really open and candid Interview. TeaJay knows how I feel about him personally..so I dont have to say that much on the subject. But i will say this..T Is one of my best friends here and I hope to meet him and his wife face to face one day. :) We have resently discussed such a possable meeting in the furture. I dont think I have ever met a more sincere and transparent person in my life.

Im not a real big fan when It comes to organized religion...as T is very much aware of...for various personal reasons...But I do respect others beliefs as long as those beliefs dont Include harming others who dont subcribe to a particular Ideology...If you will. To quote Ken..." peace and goodwill to your fellow man". This is something I hope we all can agree on, reguadrles of are religious backgrounds or otherwise.

My favorite part of the interview.." while pippy longstockings is puting on a floor show" Now that I would like to see. With those hot multi colored stockings and those red little pig tails ( no offense T) ;) I think i saw her at the drive thru window at Wendys the other day. She seems to be doing quite well since she has put her striping days behind her. I always love to hear these stories with happy endings. :)

Thanks for the Interview guys..well done on both sides. :drinks:

Mike

Great interview! I'm sitting here in the dark in the mountains of Alaska in the teeth of a 100mph winter storm with the power out (God bless 3G) and I didn't even hear the wind once I started reading.

Well said, TeeJay! :tu: It's an honor to get to know you better, and I couldn't agree more about commercial reps of the Snowflake.

Great stuff! Thanks for the work, guys. Very interesting read.

Val.

good read - one question is missing :

when will TJ discover the macro-mode of his cam ? he has so many nice watches - i finally want to see them ! :D

cheers,

Frank

Great read indeed.

Thanks to both of you for sharing with us.

Some very interresting religious comments TeeJay, even for an atheist as myself.

Catholics seem to have forgoten how much pain they brought to the world some centuries ago.

And yes, ham is not needed on a pizza, it totaly kills the taste of it :)

Thanks Ken and TJ it is always nice to hear a bit of the back ground to a member

Good read always nice to know the story behind a member of our forum.

Thanks for the time you both took for making this happen.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Thanks to all for the fantastic comments, they're all very much appreciated :good::drinks: It was a pleasure to share a little more about myself, and hope it made for interesting reading :)

Ken had asked if there were any photos I had wanted to include, and I have selected a few to highlight key points :) However, Ken also told me that my use of smileys exceeded the forum limit for images in a post :whistling: so I figure rather than add them to the interview, I will add them here myself, enjoy :good::drinks:

Seiko Sport

photo-13.jpg

Kristina Wayborn

photo-14.jpg

Tudor Heritage

photo-26.jpg

USS Defiant

photo-27.jpg

Vase 1

photo-16.jpg

Vase 2

photo-17.jpg

Salt Lamp

photo-18.jpg

Mask

photo-19.jpg

Japanese Corner

photo-20.jpg

Hilt

photo-22.jpg

Broken hilt

photo-21.jpg

Carving in progress and ¥5 coin menuki

photo-23.jpg

Irezumi in progress

photo-25.jpg

Pippy Longstockings

photo-24.jpg

Dam... that pippy be looking all fine and [censored].:D

Dam... that pippy be looking all fine and shit.:D

I thought you'd approve, bro :lol::drinks:

I thought you'd approve, bro :lol::drinks:

Indeed. :D:drinks:

Indeed. :D:drinks:

Awesome :drinks:

Great read! Always nice to get to know the fine people here a little bit better! :tu:

Teejay, Thanks for the share! You have always been extremely helpful

to the members of our community. One of the things I love most about

you is you do not "judge". You only help with a positive attitude...

I hope your Tattoo work increases as time goes on... I know now it's

one of your deepest passion bedside your eclectic art work...

Thanks again for taking the time to be just "Teejay" ;)

Cheers Mate,

MM

Great read! Always nice to get to know the fine people here a little bit better! :tu:

Many thanks, dude :good::drinks:

That Miss Wayborn is way sexy I might add...surpurb taste bro. :drinks: Those legs almost reach her neck..lovely...just lovely.

Your Tudor Heritage is also quite the looker. Im not a big Rolli fan bro.. but I have to admit...I absolutely love that watch. :)

Teejay, Thanks for the share! You have always been extremely helpful

to the members of our community. One of the things I love most about

you is you do not "judge". You only help with a positive attitude...

I hope your Tattoo work increases as time goes on... I know now it's

one of your deepest passion bedside your eclectic art work...

Thanks again for taking the time to be just "Teejay" ;)

Cheers Mate,

MM

Thanks, being a Libra, I can always see both sides of an argument and try never to judge. Only if something is truly clear cut do I ever really come down on one side or another :) I just wish that I'd had the confidence on my artwork to learn to tattoo a decade ago when I first had the chance, I think I would've saved myself quite a bit of strife over the years if I had, but they do say hindsight is always 20:20 :lol:

That Miss Wayborn is way sexy I might add...surpurb taste bro. :drinks: Those legs almost reach her neck..lovely...just lovely.

Your Tudor Heritage is also quite the looker. Im not a big Rolli fan bro.. but I have to admit...I absolutely love that watch. :)

I've always had a thing for leggy blondes, which I totally put down to seeing her in Octopussy, where I thought she totally outshone Maud Adams :wub:

Even though it's only a quartz movement, the Heritage ticks all the

boxes I need in a watch: clear dial and hands with good lume for night vision, timing bezel for cooking, and water resistant enough to withstand bathing and swimming :good: As mentioned above, it is a far from 1:1 replication, but I think it still stands tall on it's own merits :) The fact Tudor issue it with a NATO strap as well, also lends to its versatility, but in a totally 'officially approved' way :) The only thing it does fall down on, is the case size means it's not really suitable as a dress watch. I did wear it with a gray shirt and black tie for the Christmas party, but that was because the dial complimented the outfit better than the DJ would have done :victory:

Thanks, being a Libra, I can always see both sides of an argument and try never to judge. Only if something is truly clear cut do I ever really come down on one side or another :) I just wish that I'd had the confidence on my artwork to learn to tattoo a decade ago when I first had the chance, I think I would've saved myself quite a bit of strife over the years if I had, but they do say hindsight is always 20:20 :lol:

I've always had a thing for leggy blondes, which I totally put down to seeing her in Octopussy, where I thought she totally outshone Maud Adams :wub:

Even though it's only a quartz movement, the Heritage ticks all the

boxes I need in a watch: clear dial and hands with good lume for night vision, timing bezel for cooking, and water resistant enough to withstand bathing and swimming :good: As mentioned above, it is a far from 1:1 replication, but I think it still stands tall on it's own merits :) The fact Tudor issue it with a NATO strap as well, also lends to its versatility, but in a totally 'officially approved' way :) The only thing it does fall down on, is the case size means it's not really suitable as a dress watch. I did wear it with a gray shirt and black tie for the Christmas party, but that was because the dial complimented the outfit better than the DJ would have done :victory:

All I know is this..If I were to see you or anyone else for that matter..out and about..on any given day..on the wrist. I would think to myself..."thats a dam fine looking watch"...period. :)

All I know is this..If I were to see you or anyone else for that matter..out and about..on any given day..on the wrist. I would think to myself..."thats a dam fine looking watch"...period. :)

Thanks, bro, it really does make a good beater, I'd highly recommend one to anyone :) Thanks again for the PAM which made the trade possible :drinks:

Thanks, bro, it really does make a good beater, I'd highly recommend one to anyone :) Thanks again for the PAM which made the trade possible :drinks:

:drinks: My pleasure

:drinks: My pleasure

It's very much appreciated, bro, and makes the watch all the more meaningful :drinks:

It's very much appreciated, bro, and makes the watch all the more meaningful :drinks:

Thank you for that T..I had a feeling that you would put it to good use..and you sure did. :)

Will It's that time again....PM INCOMING. :tu: