When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice please - Modded DSSD

bangalter

• 9 months later...

Alright guys, hope all is well on your end! I am reviving this thread and i hope you will be able to chime in on the predicament that i am currently facing.

PbDad promised to rectify the issues highlighted previously and i had the watch sent back to him for the required work. He stated that it was a one-off as he was facing some personal issues then and assured me that the watch will turn out tops this time round. He offered to replace the case (kudos to him for that) and to re-do the sub-standard lume that was apparent on the intial job.

Well, i have since received the watch and the lume this time round seems to be worse than before. There are smudges around the lume buckets and triangles, application was uneven and for some reason the lume along the perimeter of the lume buckets seem to be turning into a greenish blue hue reminiscent of algae formation. The only consolation is that he replaced the scratched case but the bezel does not line up anymore. I have attached some pictures to illustrate my concerns, the text within are just some of the more obvious flaws which can be seen from it.

PA073370_edited.jpg

PA073372_edited.jpg

PA073381_edited.jpg

In my original post back in Dec, i have never once disclosed the identity of the modder who did this job as i wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. But, after this protracted saga of which i have tried contacting Pb on numerous occasion via email which was being blatantly ignored, I am not optimistic of any resolution that will come out of this situation. As such, i hope that this post will serve as an warning to anyone who is thinking of sending your watch to PbDad for mods. He is just not worth the money (not cheap) and the wait. Based on what i have seen so far the only person who can get things right, the first time, is none other than The Zigmeister.

Edited by bangalter

Sorry to hear it ended this way. I bought a nice vintaged piece from him quite a while ago. Everyone is entitled to a a screw up as long as they do what they can to rectify it after the fact. Unfortunately it almost looks worse. I know a lot of folks have done a lot of mods on this particular watch. I actually elected not to relume it as I thought the V3 or whatever I got was pretty good. And yes, I did compare it witht the gen at the time.

• 5 months later...

My unresolved issue with pbdad for his crappy work since late 2011.

Recently, he has offered to refund me the money for his lume work after avoiding my PMs and emails for close to a year but the refund will only be made according to his terms.

Edited by bangalter

Pb, you're just plain rude and uncooperative. Given my past experience with you, i have my reservations of sending the watch back to you. All i need is my refund and the problem is solved, why are you making things so difficult for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by pbdad
What do you not understand???
I am offering a refund for my work, but I wnat my dial hands and pearl back. I am offering to replace them with stock factory unmodded noob parts.
I will not refund you unless I get my parts back.
I was offering to replace them with the noob stock parts and take my parts back for you.

I've sent BK and email as well.

This is all beginning to look very suspect and I've informed Brobert of every detail of this trnsaction.

Quote Originally Posted by bangalter
I do not have the watch with me. As I said, I've sent the watch to bk to have the damaged dial replaced. Refund me the cost of your lume job and why do you need the watch to refund me? I don't get it. I don't want your replacement dial, you can save that for someone else's watch. I would appreciate it if you could do the refund and resolve this by this week. I really do not wish to escalate this further.

Bangalter,
$350 was the total for the entire mod package I did on your watch. Your issue is with the lume why would I refund the entire package cost?

anyhow, where are the relumed dial, hands and pearl now?
The offer was to exchange your relumed parts for stock parts +refund for the relume.

Thanks for replying, unfortunately i have sent the watch to Bk for the dial and hands replacement.

350 was the total amount paid to you. With regards to the refund, how much are we looking at?

Firstly, I offered a refund on the lume work with the exchange of te dial, pearl and hands back to standard noob parts. You'll need to send your watch back to me so I can swap and refund.

Secondly, how do you come to $350 for a lume job? I've never charged anyone $350 even for the most difficult lume job.
Hi Pb,

As discussed, could you please send the refund via paypal to "xxx@gmail.com".

Would be grateful if you could notify me thru PM once this has been done.

Thanks.

Regards,
Bangalter

Bangalter <xxx@gmail.com>
    16/12/2011

to Pb

Hi Pb,

Just want to let you know that I've received the watch and would like to thank you for a great job done especially on the case and bracelet. One thing I noticed is that the lume appears to be unevenly applied. Is that normal? Also, it seems that there is a ding on the upper right lug. Did you notice this when u receive the watch from Bk?

Regards,
Bangalter

17/12/2011

to Pb

Hi Pb,

Further to the email below, i noticed several scratches at the back of the watch around the caseback possibly attributed to a caseback opener. Did you see these when you first received the watch? If so, i was thinking it might be a lapse in QC from Bk's end and i might bring this up with him. Hope to hear from you soon mate.

PBdad Customs <pbdadcustoms@yahoo.com>
    17/12/2011

to me

Hey mate!
Please send me pics of all your concerns ASAP.

Thanks and happy holidays!

17/12/2011

to PBdad

Sure thing, i will try to do some macro shots over the weekend and let you know again

Cheers,
Bangalter

17/12/2011

to me

Great!
Are the scratches on the Ti insert on the caseback?

xxx@gmail.com
    17/12/2011

to PBdad

Hi Pb,

The ti insert is fine. The scratches are around the outside of the grooves/ engraved wordings behind and also on the back of the end-links

Regards,
Bangalter

18/12/2011

to PBdad

Hi Pb,

Attached are the pics of the DSSD received, looks like the QC dept may have lapsed on this one. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Pb Dad <pbdadcustoms@yahoo.com>
    19/12/2011

to me

That's odd. I know I didn't do that then, because I use  rubber ball for the caseback...

xxx@gmail.com
    19/12/2011

to Pb

That might have slipped thru Bk's QC. Did you see the scratches when you had the watch? Quite hard to miss if you ask me. What's your thoughts on the lume?

Regards,
Bangalter

21/12/2011

to Pb

Hi Pb,

May i check if you have had the chance to look into the below email please?

21/12/2011

to me

Hi Bangalter,
I haven't had a moment to spend dedicated time on this for you yet. Can we pick up after Christmas?
It's crazy here with both kids home for the holidays and bristles right around the corner.
I'm sure we can find a solution for you.

Best,
Pb

xxx@gmail.com
    21/12/2011

to PBdad

Hey Pb,

It's good to hear from you. Let's talk about this after the holidays. Happy holidays, have a great one mate

Regards,
Bangalter

03/01/2012

to PBdad

Hi there mate,

Hope you had a good holiday. During the break, i have posted pictures of the watch on RWG (keeping the identities of everyone involved anonymous) seeking the advice of the members and they have unanimously came to the conclusion that the quality of the lume application was sub-par and the scratches on the watch are unacceptable and likely obtained during the course of the mods. Could you please let me know your thoughts on the condition of the watch as well as your proposed solution?

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/140851-advice-please-modded-dssd/

Thanks,
Bangalter

04/01/2012

to me

Ok, so after I said that we'd take care of it after the holidays, you posted publicly of your issues?

xxx@gmail.com
    04/01/2012

to PBdad

Hi Pb,

I did that with the objective of getting advice from a wider audience and not to tarnish your reputation. As I said previously, I have not drop any names in my post despite numerous calls for me to. Hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Regards,
Bangalter

04/01/2012

to me

Please send it back and I would be happy to help resolve all issues including fixing the lume.

FYI, a rubber ball can successfully open and close a
2 piece caseback as long as it's big enough. Same ball I've used on 100+ dssds over the years. Which I pressure test at 4-5atm.

I'm still curious of how the scratches happened on the lugs.

xxx@gmail.com
    04/01/2012

to PBdad

No idea mate. A highly respected veteran of RWG has chimed in on the scratches and mentioned that these are gouges and not ordinary scratches. He also highlighted that due to the location of these gouges, it will be difficult to remove them. Even if it was removed, it would require the removal of enough surrounding metal to get to the bottom of the gouge. I'm not sure how do you intend to fix this but the idea of removing that much metal from a brand new watch does not sound like an appealing option to me. Please don't take this the wrong way but, I'm surprised that you did not notice this when you first started work on the watch.

Regards,
Bangalter

04/01/2012

to me

Send it back and I'll take care of everything.

06/01/2012

to me

Bangalter,

Have you decided on what you'd like to do?
BK is sending a new replacement case in case to insure the case is perfect for you.
I will swap it and fix the lume for you when you send it...

regards,
pb

Don't forget to ask how to get a 7% discount!
Disclaimer: All modifications and customizations are preformed on customer's supplied watches. I do not sell nor manufacture watches or parts that infringe of any trademarked watch brands that you may see on my site or in emails. Please do not contact me in regards to buying any counterfeit goods.

Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: DSSD mods

xxx@gmail.com
    06/01/2012

to Pb

Hi Pb,

That sounds great. I'm actually bogged down with work at the moment but will try to have it sent out within this 2 weeks if that is ok with you? Let me know, thanks.

Regards,
Bangalter

06/01/2012

to me

At your convenience.
Bk is sending me the replacement case tomorrow. I'll hold it for you...
This will take care of the ding, scratches and the lume application.
That was everything right?

fyi, don't fall for the mob mentality the watch forums can have...lots of haters.
I pride myself on customer service as my many reviews have proved.
I think I was still just recovering and from the death int he family and mind must not have been 100% back in the game.
For that I apologize and I'll get you the wach you paid for and expected!

best,
pb

Disclaimer: All modifications and customizations are preformed on customer's supplied watches. I do not sell nor manufacture watches or parts that infringe of any trademarked watch brands that you may see on my site or in emails. Please do not contact me in regards to buying any counterfeit goods.

Sent: Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:46 PM

07/01/2012

to Pb

Hi Pb,

I am sorry for your loss, hope everything is going well on your end right now. When i first received the watch there were also scratches at the back of the end-links of the bracelet which is connected to the scratches near the lugs shown in the pics. Also, i managed to cause some light scratches on the Ti case and back off the bracelet clasp while i was trying to take pictures of the watch. Would you be able to take care of all these scratches for me please?

Thanks,
Bangalter

15/01/2012

to Pb

Hi Pb,

Could i check if you have had the chance to look at the below email please?

Thanks,
Bangalter

17/01/2012

to me

I only have a new case coming in with no caseback.
I'll see what can be done about it...

Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:33 AM

04/04/2012

to Pb

Hi Pb,

Was wondering if you have received my watch sent from Singapore?

Thanks,
Bangalter

PBdad Custom Watchwerks <pbdadcustoms@yahoo.com>
    04/04/2012

to me

Hey Bangalter,

Nice to hear from you. I haven't picked up my mail since Monday, but I will today and let you know if it's in yet.

07/04/2012

to me

nothing yet...

Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:50 AM

07/04/2012

to Pb

Hi Pb,

According to my records, the watch was sent on 25/01/2012 and received on 02/02/2012 (attached is the tracker information). Could you please check again? Thanks.

Screen shot 2012-04-07 at PM 12.06.53.png
428K   View   Download   

10/04/2012

to me

Hey Bangalter,
Do you have the tracking for me?
I told my mailbox about this package on Friday and they are searching high and low for it. They have never misplaced a package for me.
They need the tracking number and a brief description of what the pack looked like. Box or enevlope etc.

I'm sure it'll turn up. These guys are good...

Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 9:10 PM

PBdad Custom Watchwerks <pbdadcustoms@yahoo.com>
    12/04/2012

to me

Got it!!!
Apparently, they misread the handwriting for 349 instead of 344 and stuck it in another customer's box.
Luckily that person is out of the country months at a time.
I'm going to go get it in a bit.

<Screen shot 2012-04-07 at PM 12.06.53.png>

08/05/2012

to PBdad

Hi there PB,

I am glad you managed to receive the watch. How long do you reckon it will take to do up the watch? I understand that you have obtained a new case from bk and will be swapping it with mine, is there anything you could also do to remove the scratches on the caseback? Hope to hear from you soon, cheers.

10/05/2012

to me

Just got back form vacation yesterday.
I'm going to take care of the swap very soon. I expect to have it done and shipped back by the end of the month.
I'm going to replace the cb for you as well.

Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 11:05 PM

27/05/2012

to me

all done and ready to ship back with new case installed.

what's you address for shipping?

Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 11:05 PM

27/05/2012

to Pb

Super! Many thanks for that.

Shipping address is as follows:

Bangalter

Cheers.

27/05/2012

to Pb

Hi Pb,

I vaguely remember the insignia of the crown does not line up in the 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock position when fullu screwed down, is there any chance you would be able to help with this please?

Regards,
Bangalter

30/07/2012

to Pb

Hi Pb,

I appreciate your effort in replacing the scratched case but the lume on the dial is still below the standard that i was expecting for someone of your repute. Please do not get me wrong, i understand that this is a manual job and issues may exist from time to time but looking at the dial below, it is obvious that the lume is unevenly applied and even worse, the lume around the lume bucket looks like its chalking up and turning bluish green (taking reference to the pic below, this is most apparent on the 12 o'clock marker). There is even smudges of the lume on some of the lume bucket (2, 5, 10 and the rectangular markers to name a few).

I am not sure if this warrants the price and waiting time i have spent on but i would like to listen to your side of things before i jump to conclusions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could get back to me on this, i really hope we can have this resolved asap.

30/07/2012

to Pb

Hi Pb,

I am not sure if you managed to receive the printscreen of the watch but i have attached a copy of the image file just in case, you would need to use the zoom function to have a better understanding of the issues i have mentioned in the previous email.