When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice please - Modded DSSD

bangalter

Heya guys,

Hope everyone had a good weekend so far :) Just received my brand new DSSD from a modder of repgeek! This watch has the standard mod package such as SL relume, pearl mod, satin dial, single side AR coat, enamel re-painting of engraved text, sealed HEV, bracelet buffing, etc. First impression of the watch is good - it has a solid build quality, bracelet is nicely crafted, glidelock works like a charm, crown screws down nice and tight, bezel dot looks very gen-like. The watch is hefty but you will get used to it after wearing it for a day or two.

Some of the complaints i have is that the watch has a fair bit of scratches around the Ti caseback possibly caused by an opener. Also, the lume application on the dial seems rather shoddy. I am not sure if i am being too anal here but i have bought used watches from the forums with much better case condition. I have attached pics of the watch below and all of the issues pointed out are what i have noticed straight out of the box.

P1013183.jpgP1013187.jpgP1013189.jpgP1013195.jpgP1013196.jpgP1013197.jpgP1013199.jpgP1013200.jpgP1013201.jpgP1013202.jpg

So what do you guys think? Comments and advice welcome!

Cheers,

Bang

seems to be an real expert ;) the good news : the scratches on the case can be removed - the bezel marker can be repainted - but i think you can not really see it in RL.

the lume - there is not much to do - if you send it again for fix up - the chances that he [censored]s something else up are high :)

all modders apply the lume by hand - there is nobody that can perform an 100% job like the factory's - this job is not perfect, but i have seen worse ;)

i just would ask for a (partly)refund and post an open review in the forums incl. the "modders" name as a warning ...

cheers,

Frank

Edited by Star69

The lume definitely bothers me more than the ding and scratches.. :( I guess reluming is not as easy as it seems, although i have had high hopes since it was done by a respected modder of whom many people has been heaping praises on. If only i could get The Zigmeister to help me out here, i have seen his work and they are out of this world!

It looks like a pair of scissors was used to open the case back and it slipped. Yes, some people use scissors on Rolex case backs. I'm sorry for your trouble. Sometimes I don't understand why a particular modder gets so much acclaim, when the pics posted of their work often suck.

Using a pair of scissors to open up the caseback?? That sounds like a crude job although plausible considering the scratches on the watch. The scratches on the top are rather deep although I was not able to capture it well with my cam set-up.

On a side note, a very interesting sign-off u got there lol :)

I think honestly you should openly share who the modder was who did your watch. I just feel the lume has problems,

and the case back scratches are totally unacceptable! ;)

You would be helping the members out by calling out the moddder! The Zigmeister would never send you back a watch like this,

and the modders need to know that you are sharing this information as work like this should have never left his shop! ;)

What is the modder's name?

Good Luck...

MM

Guys, just a quick update - I have informed the modder and he has stated that the scratches were not from him as he has used a rubber ball on the caseback. However, he has not got back to me with regards to the lume application. As this watch was sourced from someone else and sent directly to the modder, i have provided pics to this supplier and will have to see what he says about the scratches. As to the disclosure of names, i think it is only fair for all parties involved that i leave it anonymous until we arrive at a resolution/ outcome. I have no intention to receive a refund as i still want the watch but is it too much for me to ask for a new piece to replace this defective one? Please tell me what you think

Cheers,

Bang

I am surprised that if you send a watch out to be buffed and polished (bracelet) that you were not asked "Ummm ... do you want me to buff out the huge gouges on this watch case as well??"

Oh well. Now you will never know if it was the original owner or the modder who roughed up your watch.

Hi J, that was what I thought initially which is why I have asked the modder if he has seen the scratches when he was working on my watch. I find it hard to believe that he would have missed out on that. Oh well.. Still waiting for his response to my email, guess the festive season is holding him up. :(

Fair enough if it is used, but the watch was bought brand new and it came with the dings and scratches. It is hard to determine whether the defects came from the seller or the modder since the watch was bought and immediately sent for mods.

The seller has offered to have the dings and scratches polished out if i pay for shipping and the modder is currently tied up with the holidays and has promised to resolve this after xmas.

Edited by bangalter