When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of TAG Link Ladies Quartz

By-Tor

So did I. Got one of the white faced models. Very nice indeed for the money. I had to ask Narikaa how to adjust the bracelet, as I couldn't figure it out. His advice was faultless, and I had removed two links in no time at all. I would definately recommend the ladies Link to anyone.

Slarti, you wore me down. By-Tor wore me down. By-Tor's girlfriend wore me down. Uma Thurman wore me down.

Just ordered one from Narikaa. Black-faced, just like I like my men.

UPDATE: Just read that he has only a few left, in black and blue only. So if you're dawdling about ordering one for your good lady wife, girlfriend, or gal pal, pull a Nike FAST.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=59885

Thanks all.

I'm glad that people find these old writeups useful.

The watch is still in daily use by my gf... works like a charm.

All: Make sure you post a lot of pics when you receive yours! :)

Excellent review and photos, By-Tor, as is the norm for you. I looked long at this watch for my wife, but finally opted for a ladies Cartier Tank Americaine from Ruby. It's a virtual exact copy of the gen from what I can tell and, like the gen, quartz. Hard to believe that Cartier, and others, can charge what they do for quartz movement watches; yeah, it's "Swiss" quartz, but so what? I actually found a Tank Americaine in white gold with a list price of $18,000. For a quartz watch. Absurd. Same thing with the real vs. gen TAGs, just a smaller price gap. Thanks once more for this review, and for all your previous ones. An incalculable asset for this forum.

I actually found a Tank Americaine in white gold with a list price of $18,000. For a quartz watch. Absurd.

Mum has that Tank Americaine (don't think we paid full price on it though). In fact, my mother has a staggering collection of Cartiers -- I clearly got my 'watch hobby' genes from her.

There are some things at work here, which you know instinctively, Doug.

First, women buy Cartier watches like they would jewelry. It's an adornment more than a workhorse. Second, the marque itself is non-pareil. It goes well beyond anything that can be offered by Rolex. Third, women are said to have a larger collection of watches for daily wear, than men (debateable in this forum, but I think true, otherwise). Thus, having the time and care needed to get wrist-time can be problematic. It's just so much easier to have a Quartz...

That it's absurd, yes it is. But it's also absurd to pay $250,000 for a Lambo, which has trouble turning corners. :p

Spot on with all your comments, Victoria. Yes, women (my wife, anyhow) just wants to be able to pick up the watch, put it on, and be done with it; doesn't want to have to set the time, wind it, etc. Hence, quartz is all I would buy her. The plus with the Tank Americaine is no sweep second hand, so who's to know? And what if the quartz movement is somehow detected? Not an issue as the gen also comes with quartz. And yes, to most (many?) women, a watch is more a piece of jewelry than a precise timepiece, another reason why the Americaine works so well in that the case and bracelet are the same width so the overall appearance is that of a beautiful linked bracelet. I think this is maybe her 3rd watch: horological poverty to me, excess to her. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Moved my reply here from the wrist check thread.

Nice TAG Vic! :)

Apparently they have enlarged the bracelet (which is good). Lots of people complained that the old one didn't fit on their gf's/wives. It was really small.

It's not completely the same watch as my gf's. Yours has some subtle differences, like larger crown, different date window, dial and pearl. But very nice, either way. I suspect yours has a screw-down crown, which is definitely a plus.

Enjoy!

PS: The bezel should definitely turn counter-clockwise. Is yours stuck?

Moved my reply here from the wrist check thread.

Nice TAG Vic! :)

Thanks! All down to you and your girlfriend having modelled it. Should you feel it appropriate, BT, please show her these photos. :)

Apparently they have enlarged the bracelet (which is good). Lots of people complained that the old one didn't fit on their gf's/wives. It was really small.

Oh cripes, that's good. Sizing a watch down is no problem, but when the watch doesn't fit from the box, you can almost bin it. I usually have to take from 4-6 links from any watch I receive, though I do like to wear mine tight.

It's not completely the same watch as my gf's. Yours has some subtle differences, like larger crown, different date window, dial and pearl. But very nice, either way. I suspect yours has a screw-down crown, which is definitely a plus.

Yes, it's a screw-down!

Don't berate me for the n00b question, but seeing how the caseback is rock solid closed, and it's a screw-down crown, does this mean it COULD tolerate a dip in the jacuzzi?

Some silicone on the crown, perhaps?

Enjoy!

PS: The bezel should definitely turn counter-clockwise. Is yours stuck?

Thanks! I just twirled it again, gently, and it did finally move. The pearl is at the 6 o'clock posish now though. :p

Yes, it's a screw-down!

Don't berate me for the n00b question, but seeing how the caseback is rock solid closed, and it's a screw-down crown, does this mean it COULD tolerate a dip in the jacuzzi?

Possibly. But I never take any of my watches to water, reps or gens. People have ruined their expensive gens with water, including hardcore diver watches. TZ has a lot of these stories. Not worth it, imho.

Crown is usually the weakest link on watches, and that's where the moisture goes into the case. The screw down crown means that you don't have to worry when you're washing hands, etc.

Thanks! I just twirled it again, gently, and it did finally move. The pearl is at the 6 o'clock posish now though. :p

There's probably some dirt between the case and bezel. Drop just a little bit (a few small tips) of sewing machine oil there and keep rotating it. I'm sure it'll loosen eventually.

PS: I'll show the pics to her. Thanks. :)