When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steinhart Watches - What's your Opinion of them?

sgtguk

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can offer their views on the Steinhart range of watches?

Looking to buy the Ocean 1 Vintage Red as it looks a great piece, http://www.steinhartwatches.de/de/OCEAN-1-VINTAGE-red,191.html

I love the look of it but are they reliable movements etc and how do they compare quality wise to other brands?

Would appreciate any help you guys can offer :inverted:

Cheers

i sold a Steinhart Nav B Uhr in December.. it had the Unitas movement. I took it on trade - it was the PVD version which just wasn't my taste so I flipped it. Had it been a regular Nav B I likely would have kept it.. quality is good.. service is good. They are a good independent brand. You won't find many negative reviews on them. I would recomend them.. their Vintage look divers are cool.

Edited by OldCorvette

I was going to buy a Steinhart GMT red/black bezel but RWG member rckh's experience stopped me.

He ordered one from Gnomonwatches and it came with many unacceptable issues, he sent it back to them.

They are not bad, a bit too homage-y though, no doubt they have semi decent build quality but not sure they are up there with even the likes of christopher ward in terms of fine details and they are even homagey themselves. I think you get better value in reps as phoband says. Steinhart seem to be in the middle of no mans land at the moment, better than invicta, fossil etc but not quite up to the quality of Longines, hamilton or tissot. Personally I'd rather spend the money on one of those, better bang for the buck. But if you want a nice rolex homage then nothing wrong with steinhart, ....just that any noob would do the job just as well and cheaper.

@ phoband & cougar1 :bangin: Just when I am ready to pull the trigger you two go and spoil the party !! lol thanks guys will have another look at PT and Trusty to see what comes up!

Had a look at Christopher Ward, some great pieces, the Trident Gmt is especially nice.....some many watches, drives ya mad eh! :inverted:

Don't let opinions put you off, I fully admit I've never held one, though I have read alot about them. What I was getting at... it's a price vs price thing, it's very competitive in this sub £500 market with just a $100 or $200 extra the difference between getting a few nice extra touches or not!....on a steinhart you would be guaranteed good lume and good crown screw down out of the box so in that case better than the average rep imo, ....but for it you are paying that little bit extra compared to the average rep for this. It might be better to compare it to a semi modded rep :)

The Ocean 1 in fairness is not bad, all things considered and is about one of the better valued items they have. The CW trident pro is a great watch, but is dearer again, I can at least say that although the design is a bit unusual, ....the brother has one, it's like a cross between a Rolex sub and an Omega Smp ;) but it is lovely build quality, not far off a gen smp in terms of finishing.

@ phoband & cougar1 :bangin: Just when I am ready to pull the trigger you two go and spoil the party !! lol thanks guys will have another look at PT and Trusty to see what comes up!

Had a look at Christopher Ward, some great pieces, the Trident Gmt is especially nice.....some many watches, drives ya mad eh! :inverted:

Don't let me stop you :) its just that everytime i like one of these watches- Christopher Ward has a limited edition jump hour at around 1k which looks sweet - i go back and look at the reps and these and the rep tends to win.

There is a Hamilton Pilots for 400 i've looked at, steinhart has a nice jump hour for like 100%$

But, its the eye of the beholder - there are tons of people here that go nuts over a particular watch that i probably wouldn't pick up on the sidewalk if it were sitting there - and I'm sure there are many who might think the same of pieces I like. :) it is what it is. - Enjoy.

1 Piece of advice you might think about is, checking the resale value - what do they sell for on ebay or other watch forums. If you get it and decide its not for you, can you return it? amazon.com has 60day mandatory return policy for all vendors. Or can you sell it and get something else.

• Like 1

by the way Christopher ward is made by the people that do the Fossil watches. - I like fossile watches, they are good quality -but, they are for kids :) mostly

First I've heard of this, not saying you are wrong...I don't know who makes them, but have you any evidence to support it, or is it just naysayers on the net making it up?

On a side note: CW get a lot of slack, as do Steinhart and all the other boutique type net brands on the market, sometimes we are a bit over critical, they are all pretty damn good watches and a serious step up from the usual stuff 98% of the planet wear...invicta et al.

I don't think that steinhart is a step up from invicta. Actually was very impressed with some invicta's I've seen.

Fossil wasnt a nock, freakin swatch makes a ton of cool brands. Info based on this article on cw forums. I'd get the jump hr if I had the cash

http://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8496

Wanna see a real innovative uk brand? Learned about these guys over vaca http://www.bremont.com/

No worries I want honest opinions and thats what I've got from both of you, Thanks :inverted:

I am looking at clearing some of my early buys later this week on here to fund my next few, Steinhart is one brand that keeps coming up for me as being fairly good quality I just haven't seen one in the flesh! I'm looking at one on the bay at the mo to see what they go for secondhand, and really like the Ocean Red, but like most of us on here I like quite a few watches :fool:

Pho I had a look at the Bremont website, nice :) but do you know how much they sell for? Invicta watches to me seem a bit hit & miss quality wise but I agree they have some nice looking models in the range.

Cheers