When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got a Noobmariner, very impressed

Ephry73

After almost a year and change of wait, I was able to get my hands on a correct serial number Noobmariner (Thanks a million VARock) F520117 serial number case. I always wanted one of these from reading old reviews and wanted to see one for myself. Maybe play with moding a little and wear it as a daily.

Now, The rehaut is indeed very good on this one. Crystal not too bad and the SELs actually fit pretty decent. The dial is not too bad, and the date mag can be better, but I cannot complaint. I need to get a bezel insert for it and perhaps put a lower profile crown on it. The crown guards are very good IMO. Overall I think the watch is good as is. I cleaned up a bit and will smooth out the edges a bit. From reading posts on several boards, I gather that the Clark's crystal won't fit, but how about the TC one? Which insert is the go to insert for these cases? I may age it just enough to dull the black a bit and will eventually go the drilled through lug holes just for the better spring bars.

I water tested the case (just got it today BTW) and it's good to 3ATM thus far.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

DSC_0007-13.jpgIMG_2051.jpg

DSC_0006-15.jpg

DSC_0001-14.jpgIMG_2050.jpg

DSC_0005-16.jpg

Man E, I can ramble on about the noob! It was pretty hot back in '06 went it came out. This is a pic of my old beater

P1000210-1-1-1.jpg

Trimmed the cg's- but yours look good already. I installed a gen crown and tube- the big noob crown was a problem back in the old days.

Then I put a WM pearl in the original insert- that way you keep the skinny triangular 4 in 40 on the insert- don't want the older 'boxy' 4 of older Rolex inserts!

Date mag is really pretty good IMO- don't forget, Rolex could give a rat's a$$ about date mag- as long as they're gen rolex parts, they don't care and the later 16610's aren't over magged like the 1680.

Here's the thing about an insert- the noob insert is slightly smaller than gen spec, so you'll probably have to do some filing to make whatever you get fit. BK also used to file the back side of the insert so it would sit lower in the bezel- more gen like. His formula was a jewelryoutlet550 insert with the WM pearl.

My best noob was the 16800 franken that I built w/ a noob case which had the lugholes drilled- it's the one on the right

P1000185-1.jpg

Once again, rather than waste a gen insert, I just put a WM pearl in the noob insert- not period correct, but I'm still working on putting that dial and movement in a Star Time case.

I've had good luck w/ my noobs being WR- great for swimming and playing. I use other watches for scuba diving.

Once again, rather than waste a gen insert, I just put a WM pearl in the noob insert

Did you have to glue the pearl in place? I've been slowly working on reviving my old noob sub and I have a WM pearl for it. Haven't installed it yet, but it definitely is not a press fit. Falls right out. Of course, my noob bezel has a modified gen insert in it.

Looks good E! The noob is a great piece, no doubt about it. Just do NOT attempt to remove the bezel!!! You will most likely bend it and ruin it. It is not gen like construction at all so it's advised not to mess with it. Same thing with the crystal, it is not a gen style installation. It's a press fit crystal and is flat. It does not have a gasket per say so the TC Crystal will definitely not work.

Thanks guys. I may have to search for a noob insert then. I tried the SSD insert and it's too small in outer and inner diameter. The funny thing is that an Invicta 8926 insert fits dead on.

@Alli, I love that 16800 build. I looooove the one on the right. That is an inspiration for sure. I was reading up on it last night in anticipation to this watch making it home. I definitely dig the crown guards and I plan on doing the crown/tube swap as well as lug drilling. Just because I feel a tool watch should just have that damn hole.through.

@Red, so far the water resistance is good and I cannot complaint. The crystal doesn't bother me much, but it will be nice to have a decent insert with a matching pearl.

The lume on the watch is almost the way I like it, reactive and doesn't last more than an hour but it's nice and even. I definitely don't want to get too crazy with this though, just enough to wear it in all conditions. Just ran the three daily miles with it on and no hiccups at all. Tugging and pulling on the dog and nothing fell off HAHA

E

Imho, if there is such a thing as an 'out of the box classic replica'...the original F520117 noobmariner is it.

The crystal is stepped on the outside edge like genuine but it is not oem spec and afaik the only crystal that fits properly is another noob crystal.

I have an LV noob F520117 that I wear now and then and everyone who has examined it (gen-rolexnuts included) was impressed by the fit and finish.

Imho, if there is such a thing as an 'out of the box classic replica'...the original F520117 noobmariner is it.

The crystal is stepped on the outside edge like genuine but it is not oem spec and afaik the only crystal that fits properly is another noob crystal.

I have an LV noob F520117 that I wear now and then and everyone who has examined it (gen-rolexnuts included) was impressed by the fit and finish.

Where did you get the F520117?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The F520117 was discontinued quite a few years back and replaced by the M092117, I believe. So you can only find them these days on the sales forums.

@ Red, I glued my WM pearl in after enlarging the hole- if yours is a modified gen insert, the hole may already be too big.

Edited by alligoat

Looking at it it is not the same animal. The rehaut engraving is not present on mine and the rehaut angle seems a little more pronounced on yours. If you look at one of the pictures I took, the angle is steeper(more vertical) and thus less pronounced. Yours is not bad though. I like those crown guards.

E

"This is a M092117 out of the box from early 2011, is this the same as they sell today?"

It looks like an original noob except for the bezel engraving, it even has the 'I' type 5 minute markers. Do not know if they are still available or not.

I got the first noob in 2006 or 2007 from 'Paul' and the last one from 'a guy' in NYC in 2010. First few had genuine Etas and the last one had a goldtone Plain Jane etaclone. Had one with a decorated silver color Seagull etaclone in between.

A few had three piece SEL and a few had one piece SEL. The first few watches had steel tubes over the screws in the removable bracelet links. Later examples did not.

The reflector ring/rehaut looks shallow on original noobs but it is partially an illusion because the reflector is machined straight up from the dial at 90 degrees for a few tenths of a mm before it turns away from the dial making the reflector look more shallow than it really is.

Just finished one myself the other day. This was my first sub and I messed it up royally trying to do something with the bezel. Bent it pretty badly. It's been sitting in my tool box ever since (about two years now)

Managed to fix it and get the gen bezel insert mounted. Missing a pearl so I glued in a WO pearl.

cac03b5c.jpg

008ed4ec.jpg

e52ec418.jpg

Looks pretty good Red.

Updated pics of the watch on first post. I softened the edges a bit and repolished it. Added a gen replacement insert from Rudy(sanded down and fitted correctly) then used the buffing wheel around the insert once installed to give it a worn look. The overall finish is not too bad. I will probably change the crown and tube later on. So far full water proof and may go crazy and drill the lugs just to add more flavor.

E