When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Moving to Down Under: Feedback needed

Adeodatus

My wife is an architect and recently she got a very tempting offer from one of the firms in Melbourne to move to Australia for 5 years and to lead a few very interesting projects (yeah, unlike me, my wife is a freaken superstar). Apart from the obviously flattering offer and the amazing opportunity to live in a very special and a different place, we are a bit concerned about the financial part of this offer. While on paper her future salary seems substantial, we have almost zero information on Australia, we don't have any friends or family there and the more I read, the more I understand, that we need a first hand input on the financial situation there. The plot thickens since I ran a web design and development business, which I'll probably have to close, and we aren't sure that I'll be able to get a work permit in Australia. I might be able to freelance a bit, but we obviously don't want to do anything illegal, so we can not count on it. This may leave us with my wife's salary as a sole source of income for our family.

My question is this: from your experience what kind of "real life" cost of living are we looking at? We've been reading a lot in the past few days, but all we can find is gov't statements, averages and promises from my wife's future employers, but not from "real" people. We understand that cost of living is a bit subjective, but given the fact that we are looking for an "interesting experience" more than living the "good life", we are prepared to compromise on our standards. We just don't want to go broke, haha. Also I'm interested in any thoughts you may offer regarding living in Australia, not necessarily financial. Anything you can think of, that can help us reach a decision.

The reason I'm asking here is because apart from the watch aficionados I find this place filled with interesting people with wide scope of opinions, plus a more mature audience, if you know what I mean.

Seriously, guys, any input will be highly appreciated!

Cheers.

• Like 1

I'm a Melbourne boy.

First question is where are you moving from?

If it is the states then financially there wont be a whole lot of difference, in fact the AUD is still a tad stronger the USD, so you should be able to look at your earnings at home compared with what has been offered here basically on a one to one ratio.

Melbourne has always ranked very well in the worlds most liveable cities surveys too so there is much to see and do.

Which suburb would you be relocating too or do you get a fair bit of choice on that?

Hit me up with any questions via PM if you want and I will do my best to answer them.

Ken

• Like 1

Australia holds four of the world's most expensive citiies. Melbourne Brisbane and Sydney are more expensive to live in than any city in America. The cost of living in these cities is notably higher than New York.

Expect to pay between 700-1000AUD (that's 1050USD) a week for inner city living of a decent standard. Expect to pay 50AUD (53USD) for 10 mile taxi ride - note that taxi driver won't know the way so you'll have to direct him, and also that he probably won't speak English very well, so buy a gps. Expect to pay nearly 5AUD for a coffee anywhere in the country except Melbourne (though it will be quite a good coffee). Expect to be greeted with a surly, contemptible attitude when you're paying top dollar for your goods and services. Expect to pay about 40 dollars to feed two people at a cheap cafe style place. Expect to pay a lot more everywhere else. Expect that that figure doesn't include drinks. Again, this service will likely be delivered with a bad attitude as well. Expect to pay $25 or more to feed two people at Mcdonalds or Burger King, and expect to pay another 50c if you want an extra ketchup that they give you for free at home. Don't expect kind or helpful replies when asking for anything out of the norm.

If you like or use any Australian products (such as Speedo brand swimwear, surf gear like billabong, quicksilver, rip curl etc, tim tams, Ugg boots or beer) bring them with you, Because those australian products will be a lot cheaper in your country. For example you will be able to buy a pair of billabong boardshorts there for 40-50 dollars, here they'll likely cost you 70-90usd. Whereas you'll pay 12-15USD for Australian Speedo swim goggles in America, here you'll pay about $25-28.

If you use any technology, expecially software, bring that with you too beacause it'll will be twice as expensive here.

These are not anecdotes, these are facts. This is an anecdote:

Expect the laconic, larrikin, easy going reputation that aussies have traditionally had to be long gone. Replaced with a pimply faced sense of entitlement and a nation of stoic rulemakers and killjoys. Here, you'll find lazy, stubborn, aggressive and unhelpful people.

http://www.abc.net.a...e-world/3831324

http://afr.com/p/opi...349vy835bpSMgBL

http://www.theage.co...0428-1xs16.html

As-Salamu Alaykum mate.

• Like 1

Of course that is not to mention that Suburb costs are far below inner city living and that any local pub is full to the brim of the laconic, larrikin easy going Aussies.

Taxi's? Why would you take a taxi if you were planning to live here?

I personally see the inside of a taxi maybe once a year.

@ACSIWhite funnel webs are NSW, we have Redbacks, plus Tiger snakes, brown snakes, copperheads, red belly blacks etc etc...

Ken

• Like 1

I use taxis everytime I catch a plane (Because parking is $49 a day), or go out for a drink.

But yes, expect to pay only about $500/week in the burbs for three bedrooms (excluding utilites and all furnishings except an oven and stovetiop).

The bottom line, as OP requested, is that real-world cost of living is insanely high here. We pay too much for everything. If you travel anywhere else on earth, this becomes plainly obvious.

What i didn't mention is that we also have one of the highest standards of living on the planet, and highly reputable health and education systems. We also have beautiful women, an awe-inspring and pristine environment, and great weather.

• Like 1

heres a link with info about cost of living. you can open a new tab and choose the city your currently living in and set them both to the same currency to go back and forth between them to compare differences : set to melbourne, currency USD : http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Australia&city=Melbourne&displayCurrency=USD

here is a list with the cost of living indexes of more than 800cities in the world.: http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/index

as an example I have compared New york vs Melbourne; http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/new-york-city/melbourne?

hope this helps to give you an idea to what you can expect. you can now roughly figure out how much the bump in your wifes salary needs to be to cover your loss of income/increased expences

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I have also been to OZ, and i [censored] love it mate :) i think your going in to a nice adventure :) take the chanse while you got it, i would for sure! Isent the wifes company paying for the house/apartment?

Australia is expensive mate....You didn't mention where in Australia would you be moving if your wife takes up the offer......Just to give you an idea of costs in Melbourne (Sydney would be more expensive), a decent 2 bedroom accommodation in the suburbs would set you back by atleast $450 a week.......add $150 pw for utility bills........groceries can take upto $150 pw for two people......then add travel costs incl. fuel & insurance for your car...........You need pretty much 1k pw to stay afloat as a couple unless you are willing to cut corners by living in a cheaper suburb that's far out from the city.......if you like eating out be prepared to spend another $100 for a meal for two in a decent fine dining restaurant.......So if you are saving a fair bit of money after factoring these imminent expenses, it's a good call........

Dear all,

As I suspected, our fabulous community is to the rescue. Thank you all for this information. My wife's read all your posts and sends a huge thank-you and hugs (her words,not mine - a firm and manly handshake from me, gentlemen). As it seems that financially we should be fine, but I will definitely need to figure out a way to get a permit for myself as well.

Apparently the most important posts were ASCIWhite's and Ken's. "Suddenly" the financial part of this "adventure" is currently much less important in my wife's eye. Her first reaction: "Forget about it. We are not going there!" .

Gee, thanks for that guys, especially for mentioning the Redbacks, huge help... - now we are learning all there is to know about the Australian Flora and Fauna. Special emphasis: venomous insects and reptiles. :hammer::clown:

• 3 weeks later...

Australia holds four of the world's most expensive citiies. Melbourne Brisbane and Sydney are more expensive to live in than any city in America. The cost of living in these cities is notably higher than New York.

Expect to pay between 700-1000AUD (that's 1050USD) a week for inner city living of a decent standard. Expect to pay 50AUD (53USD) for 10 mile taxi ride - note that taxi driver won't know the way so you'll have to direct him, and also that he probably won't speak English very well, so buy a gps. Expect to pay nearly 5AUD for a coffee anywhere in the country except Melbourne (though it will be quite a good coffee). Expect to be greeted with a surly, contemptible attitude when you're paying top dollar for your goods and services. Expect to pay about 40 dollars to feed two people at a cheap cafe style place. Expect to pay a lot more everywhere else. Expect that that figure doesn't include drinks. Again, this service will likely be delivered with a bad attitude as well. Expect to pay $25 or more to feed two people at Mcdonalds or Burger King, and expect to pay another 50c if you want an extra ketchup that they give you for free at home. Don't expect kind or helpful replies when asking for anything out of the norm.

If you like or use any Australian products (such as Speedo brand swimwear, surf gear like billabong, quicksilver, rip curl etc, tim tams, Ugg boots or beer) bring them with you, Because those australian products will be a lot cheaper in your country. For example you will be able to buy a pair of billabong boardshorts there for 40-50 dollars, here they'll likely cost you 70-90usd. Whereas you'll pay 12-15USD for Australian Speedo swim goggles in America, here you'll pay about $25-28.

If you use any technology, expecially software, bring that with you too beacause it'll will be twice as expensive here.

These are not anecdotes, these are facts. This is an anecdote:

Expect the laconic, larrikin, easy going reputation that aussies have traditionally had to be long gone. Replaced with a pimply faced sense of entitlement and a nation of stoic rulemakers and killjoys. Here, you'll find lazy, stubborn, aggressive and unhelpful people.

http://www.abc.net.a...e-world/3831324

http://afr.com/p/opi...349vy835bpSMgBL

http://www.theage.co...0428-1xs16.html

As-Salamu Alaykum mate.

Fully Agreed! Well said

I certainly agree that this is an expensive place to live in but what you get in return is fantastic lifestyle, weather, opportunities, beaches, fresh air, not much traffic, great education opportunities & beautiful ladies.

I am in the same field as your wife and the Codes and Standards here are held in high regard. Construction costs are ridiculously high too. Melbourne does indeed have good design tastes so you will be in the right place for aesthetic inspiration.

Of course you can get paid an awful lot of money in Australia at present.. the initial job offer you have is probably only the start. Once you live there a lot of head hunting of talented people goes on.

I live in New Zealand but every second person I know has moved to Aus recently it seems.