When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW5513 landed

dieselpower

I recently pulled the trigger on a new MBW 5513. The watch is a starting point. It has been worked on a little. Shaved cg's gaskets greased and extra (missing gasket) added. Lugs drilled to fit gen bars. The transatcion was smooth as silk, watch arrived very quickly. I've asked permission to use the sellers pictures so will add these if he says yes. Anyway, one of my big concerns is the bracelet issue. At the moment I've put the head on an old MBW rivetted bracelet that I had lying around but I think I will try to build the watch in the style of the Roger Moore Live and Let Die 5513. Which I think would have had a 9315 bracelet with 280 or 380 endpieces? You agree? So, does anybody make a decent rep of these bracelets and end pieces? Probably not. Do I have to fork out fortunes for a gen one? To follow that I'm going to get an ingod44 feet first dial. Slow beat eta 2846 then its the bezel and insert question. Is the MBW bezel gen like in construction, if not can one buy a gen bezel and insert and fit onto the MBW case? Questions, questions, questions. Anyway all opinions gratefully received and hopefully pictures to follow soon. Here's a quick wristie taken with my phone (sorry)

post-2563-0-92633100-1345888941_thumb.jp

Congrats on your nice pickup.

Gen bracelets are not all that much. For the 9315 some guys buy the watchinternational folded bracelet from Mary, and add a gen clasp and endlinks, pretty good quality.

If you add a gen bezel, make sure you buy the set... including the retaining ring, not just the bezel...or you probably will have problems fitting it.

I meant to tell you ebay seller "Swisstickers" usually has brand new genuine eta 2846's for 99$ shipped..several of us have bought from him.

The parts hunt begins! Good luck! :)

Bracelets. Thanks for info. already posted. I've looked at the Live and Let Die (LALD) watch and I would like to replicate the watch as received by "Q" before he adapted it for Bond. So, that means folded rivetted is what I'm looking for:

post-2563-0-73984300-1345892694_thumb.jp

Does anybody have a clue as to which endlinks these are? I also noticed from photos that the rivets on the LALD watch have little holes in them and all the rivetted bracelets I've seen (gen and rep) have solid rivets, anyone know the explanation?

Oh, just saw your question about endlinks.

The endlinks on rivet bracelets are integral/permanent to the bracelet. It almost takes a skilled jeweler to replace them. They aren't held on like a regular endlink with a springbar, instead they use a three piece system with a "mid link"

Those midlink pieces are very rare and upwards of 100$ when you find them. It's important when buying a rivet bracelet to make sure these are intact.

Here's a broken midlink

fdb5ed3a.jpg

Yep, I bought two rivet bracelets over the last few years, each with a broken midlink. Cost a fortune in time and money get those parts. At the time, I didn't know either...I thought the endlinks on these were like any other. Btw this is true also for the really old folded link too.

Really look forward to seeing your 5513 progress :)

Does anybody have a clue as to which endlinks these are? I also noticed from photos that the rivets on the LALD watch have little holes in them and all the rivetted bracelets I've seen (gen and rep) have solid rivets, anyone know the explanation?

As explained above, the rivets used in US-made bracelets are hollow while the Swiss-made bracelets have solid rivets. This, along with the width of the center links, is how the 2 can be identified (& differentiated).

7206 or 6636 with (integrated) 80 end links were spec'd for early 5513s. A folded link 9315 with (integrated) 280 or 380 ends were spec'd for mid-range 5513s (a 9315 with 380s is what I have on my pre-Comex 5513). A solid link 93150 with 580s was spec'd for the final 5513 series.

The bracelet in your pic looks like a 7206 (or 6636 - they look the same) with 58 end links, which, while not officially spec'd, do fit as you can see.

There was one for sale on VRF the other day for around $600, The Yuki 7206 isn't bad either but the endlink fit is not that great:

You will likely have problems fitting the proper 2mm dia springbars into Yuki's 7206 bracelet (though, while you may destroy a springbar or 2 in the process, it can be done), but, otherwise, it is almost an exact copy of the gen. They are so close that I often get them confused (I posted a review of the bracelet a few years ago with a bunch of comparison pics that you can search out). I would avoid getting the spring version as they are extremely uncomfortable &, while they look like the gen, as soon as you put both on the difference is immediately apparent (the gen pulls your arm hairs in a silky smooth manner, while Yuki's plucks them out with stiff, tight & ill-fitting ease).

@ Freddy333, thanks for that. I have looked at Yuki's bracelet and it is bloody tempting for that price. If it confuses even you with the gen then that's good enough for me. Problem is I wanted to replicate the LALD watch which means I would like the hollow rivets and the Yuki has solid rivets. Damn. Maybe I'll get the Yuki bracelet for the time being then when I see a nice C&I take the plunge and go for one of those. Anyway just to add to the confusion I have now put the watch on a grey/black NATO and I love the look. Oh decisions, decisions... I know what I'll do. Having just completed my tax return I'll open a bottle of wine and think about it. Yes, that's best :g: