When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"How I got here", or, "What the hell should I do with this?"

Thor

So, here I find myself; a new replica watch collector.

I found this site after a bad online replica experience. Maybe this will sound familiar to some of you.

After searching for some time, I found what I considered to be a reasonable site to buy a replica from. It's called watchez.com. I browsed their catalogue, and ultimately settled on what I took to be an extremely good representation of a Patek 5039 J. Here's the picture from the replica site:

470-7969.jpg

Of course, I now realize that the picture probably IS a genuine 5039 J (I didn't know about the "10:10 thing"...), but at the time was simply impressed by the likeness. The communication was timely, and two weeks later, here's what arrived:

470-7970.jpg

So, TOTALLY not the same watch. I have a Patek catalogue from both 2004 and 2005, and I can't find this watch in either (if anyone does know what it is, please do let me know). I believe it is what I understand to be a 'fantasy' replica; one which emulates the look and feel of the watch type, without accurately corresponding to any real model.

So the question is, what do I do with this thing? All the subdials work, and in the past three days it has kept excellent time, but the strap completely SUCKS. It has the Patek stamps on the back, but is stamped faux-croc, and already the finish is coming off (which is terrible considering I paid $249.00 for the watch), and all I've done with it is attach it to a watch pillow in my watch case. The only real issues I've found are that the first "i" in Phillipe has been attached slightly high (but I can probably fix that if I take the crystal off), and at exactly 12:00 both the hour and minute hands point to 12:01 on the nose, instead of 12:00.

As a new member, I've contacted some veteran members who have been EXTREMELY helpful, such as the Mighty Klinkster (AMAZINGLY helpful for the new member), ta2dem0n, and of course, Jos Nana and HKTAN.

The question for the experts out there is this:

If you've found your way here after being burned with what might be a bad replica, what do you do with it? I don't mind the watch I was shipped in the end, so I'd rather not chuck it out. Aaron is making me a proper strap for it, but is that overkill? How bad is this rep? I'm picking up quite a few from Jos Nana; will this Patek look just stupid in my case next to better watches?

Input greatly appreciated...

For any other new members:

Don't screw around. All you need to have great experiences rather than disappointing ones is to contact the Klinkster for some advice, get on email with Joshua, and check out HKTAN's stuff.

I only wish I'd discovered all of that first.

Welcome!

Your story is not uncommon. Actually, it happens to a lot of people. Fortunately for you, your scam site was not one of the worst and you were not looking at Rolex. People get taken for $1k and up when it comes to Rolex.

The best thing you can do with what you have is try to enjoy it. Look at it as a slightly expensive lesson and enjoy the new watches you will get. If you really prefer not to keep it with the rest of your future collection, give it to someone.

Yup you got off easy. Many have been taken for $1,000. I was lucky and my first rep was awesome and well priced. Stick around.

Basically you have paid a premium for an Asian fantasy.

Despite being an expensive (for what you got) watch, i find it to be an interesting fantasy and would have no problem wearing it, I suggest you change out the strap and then stay within our safe community for all your future purchases.

Welcome to RWG :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

Sorry you had to learn the hard way but your not alone, many have taken the same route to get here,

chalk it up to experience.

Welcome to RWG, it only gets better from here !

Thanks all; this place is a fantastic little find. I'm looking forward to my first two from Jos Nana, and yes, HKTAN will remedy the embarrasing strap issue with my 'fantasy'. Special thanks to Ken for the confidence-building reply; I think it's interesting as well.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Sorry to hear about the bad experience, but glad to hear that you found this place....but be carefull it is easy to get addicted :Jumpy:

Hi Ethan. I think it`s a very, very bad rep and you will get much nicer ones from the man Josh. So if you are happy with it. wear it. If not chuck it out and be gratefull you find this place before spending more money.

I think that BJ from MASH summed it up well...."you've got a lunchpail for midgets or a pillbox with hands" (upon learning that a watch he purchased from a soldier was too good to be true).

You will find a wealth of information here. It's a great site but much too addictive. Welcome.

Hi Ethan! It's not all bad. Straps are easily replaced. The watch you bought is really nice, and you only spent $250. Plenty of people show up here having spent over $1K with crappy looking reps. The good think about Patek is that they are very rare, not like Rolex where everyone “expects” a fake. Wear I well!