When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC's Pursuit of The Perfect Sub - Progress Update (Part I)

tc670207

I want to update my progress along the way. One thing I've been working on is TC's gen spec 16610/16610LV bezel insert.

This is pearl with epoxy coating over lume. It looks good. The LV insert I got from my seller is made the same way but it is not the real deal.
TC-GEN-SPEC-16610-BEZEL-INSERT-01.jpg

This is what I want to show you - TC gen spec insert pearl on the right:
TC-GEN-SPEC-16610-BEZEL-INSERT-02.jpg

Swiss Super Lumi Nova C1 + C3:
TC-GEN-SPEC-16610-BEZEL-INSERT-03.jpg

I know you'd ask are we there yet? Sorry, that's a no. I thought this process was done by hand and I could utilize some "women power" from my seller's production line. I was wrong.

Take a close look at gen pearl:
Gen-Pearl.jpg

Gen pearl lume is so well applied in almost perfect circular shape. From my supplier I learned it is impossible for human hands to apply lume that evenly in pearl retaining rings and not go wrong.

Going robotic is the solution.
dispensing-robot.jpg

This is the pilot run. The technician was trying to figure out the right amount of lume to be applied in the pearl retaining ring.

The next step is to apply color on the aluminum bezel insert then piece together the pearl and the insert. I thought applying color on the aluminum insert was easy. No, it's not. My supplier did a pilot run a small batch for me but the result was not satisfactory.
TC-GEN-SPEC-16610-BEZEL-INSERT-04.jpg

I was so angry with myself because I got the whole batch milled off spec in a few degrees. So the pilot coloring process did not turn out very good. Gen surface is flat. TC's looked curved. The numbers and the "I"s are a tad thinner, too.
TC-GEN-SPEC-16610-BEZEL-INSERT-05.jpg

I need my seller's help to apply after process to rectify the problem. Otherwise it will take me another 4 months to re-do everything all over again.

My seller is a very busy man. He has to receive many clients everyday so he doesn't have time to deal with this kind of trivia. He introduced me a fellow apprentice of his - a guy who's in charge of rep business in Thailand. This guy supposedly knows the inside-out of reps.

I'll talk about that in part II.
  • Like 1

How about a perfect gen spec 1675 and 1680 case? there are lots of us vintage guys here, and there are no good GMT or old sub cases around unless you go to the aftermarkets ones like phong, ming quy, etc. and those are 1-1.5k for just the case set!

• Like 1